Who was GM when Jason Peters was dealt?

LabattBlue

58 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

Shady has more rushing yards and nearly 2,000 more receiving yards in 2 fewer seasons.

Barely more rushing yardage and a similar amount of carries.    The ypc is not that different either despite one back being a will-imposing pounder and the other being a finesse/elusivenss RB.

15 more rushing TD's and a ring and two SB appearances with huge postseason moments...........beast quake........the incredible comeback against GB in the NFC championship with Beast Mode back splashing into the end zone..........his place in NFL history is entrenched.

Shady has none of that.

I do think Shady will eventually get in as well but Lynch is the more significant player in this era of NFL history.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

While giving Peters his tongue bath, keep in mind he missed two season to serious injury. So the Eagles paid him a lot of money to be on IR.

Frankly I don't care one lick about Peters. It's hard for me to give a big contact to a player who behaved like he did toward the Bills.

Your Peters takes are definitely in the "honorable mention" category of worst TSW takes of all time.?

Tryna knock the guy for twice tearing his achilles rather than credit him for coming back and still being great..........that's hilarious.?

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Your Peters takes are definitely in the "honorable mention" category of worst TSW takes of all time.?

Tryna knock the guy for twice tearing his achilles rather than credit him for coming back and still being great..........that's hilarious.?

Maybe they'll put an asterisk on his bust in Canton:

*Missed some games due to injury

I think that's what they will do with Brady, Brees, and Manning too.

9 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’ll be honest, I hated Byrd going.  Thought he was one if the best defensive playmakers the Bills ever had.  Talk about dodging a bullet.

honestly, it’s funny to talk about but for the most part, this stuff doesn’t real matter unless you have a franchise qb.  We weren’t going to win much with JP Losman, Trent Edwards, and whoever we had at QBs.

Byrd got the most from his abilities and played deep safety reasonably well, in his youth. However I have innumerable plays etched in my brain of where he was late on deep assignments. I remember him getting tagged, signing, and then playing the platar faciitus card. When he bolted, it was don't let the door hit you on the way out.  He got hurt his first year in NO, and then sucked badly for two more years. Slow slow slow, especially by the end. Left a bad taste behind they way he played it 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

It's very true that we shouldn't give credit to Beane for McDermott's draft of 2017.

True because of all the scouting McDermott did.  Its not like he was coordinating a Defense while Whaley was scouting players.

Or maybeit was Pegula or the guy that prints the tickets at the stadium.  Anybody but Whaley right.  Truth is it was both Doug and McD as well as the scouts. The Draft is a coordinated effort.  Too much for one person to handle.  I will agree McD had final say though.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

10 hours ago, unbillievable said:

Between Jason Peters and Marshawn Lynch, how many other future hall of famers did that regime give away?

I was glad to see Lynch go as Buffalo was not the right place for him and was becomming a distraction.  Plus, we had Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller at the time and the roads in Buffalo were safer.  Lynch also isn't a shoe in for the HOF as there's 11 RB's with more career rushing yards not in the HOF.  

Jason Peters on the other hand....ughhhhh.  I thought we made the right move at the time.  I was wrong.  We should never trade with Andy Reid again.

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You're entitled to your opinion, Badol. I have mine. You remember Peters as some kind of martyr. I remember him as selfish, signing a contract with the team that took a chance on him, then quitting on the team because he thought he was God's gift to football. 

Was Peters entitled to a raise? Yes. Were the Bills trying to keep his cost down? Yes. Could he have gone about getting it in a better way? Absolutely. Instead he quit on his team and teammates and forced the Bills' hand.

As for Peters missing time with an Achilles injury, it only doesn't matter to you because he wasn't a Bill. Do you forget how down we were on Eric Wood for breaking his leg twice early in his career? How people even called him a bust and injury prone? I'm sure Bills fans would be soooo happy paying Peters $10MM/yr being on IR. We are such reasonable people.

There's a reason I have a target in my avatar, Badol. You have it out for me. I suggest you relax.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

True because of all the scouting McDermott did.  Its not like he was coordinating a Defense while Whaley was scouting players.

Or maybeit was Pegula or the guy that prints the tickets at the stadium.  Anybody but Whaley right.  Truth is it was both Doug and McD as well as the scouts. The Draft is a coordinated effort.  Too much for one person to handle.  I will agree McD had final say though.

"Anybody but Whaley right." Nope. Not anybody. Just McDermott. Two weeks into McDermott's term here the Pegulas had already switched control from Whaley to McDermott. What defence was McDermott coordinating after he was hired by the Bills? He wasn't. 

On your point about coordinated effort ... fair enough. I totally agree Whaley was here for a reason and had input. But it was extremely clear who pulled the trigger and ran the process, and it was not Whaley. That was McDermott's draft.

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Not to rehash all this but it was never clear cut one way or the other.  The Bills gave Peters a nice contract after his first season as a RT.  He wanted big time LT money.  He held out and refused to return their phone calls and when he should up, he was completely out of shape.  The Bills finally traded him and ended up with a decent return, I believe a 1st and something else.  If the Pats did this, we would praise their culture and getting rid of me guys.  

I know it’s impossible to take the middle ground in any debate but I completely see both sides. Peters is a HOF and a freak.  The Bills signed the guy as a UDFA TE and moved him.  Peters also has had some major injuries and missed most of last year.  But yup, that deal worked out well for them.

The Bills signed Langston Walker to play RT, for more money than Peter's was making at LT. Bills should have paid the man what he deserved. 

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

You're entitled to your opinion, Badol. I have mine. You remember Peters as some kind of martyr. I remember him as selfish, signing a contract with the team that took a chance on him, then quitting on the team because he thought he was God's gift to football. 

Was Peters entitled to a raise? Yes. Were the Bills trying to keep his cost down? Yes. Could he have gone about getting it in a better way? Absolutely. Instead he quit on his team and teammates and forced the Bills' hand.

As for Peters missing time with an Achilles injury, it only doesn't matter to you because he wasn't a Bill. Do you forget how down we were on Eric Wood for breaking his leg twice early in his career? How people even called him a bust and injury prone?

There's a reason I have a target in my avatar, Badol. You have it out for me. I suggest you relax.

Promo, you say that the Bills were "the team that took a chance on him." No. Several teams were interested. The Bills offered a bit of extra money and won the bidding war, but it they hadn't signed him he would have been somewhere else. 

And it's nonsense that he quit on the team. He held out. Those two are not the same thing.

And your point about Wood doesn't hold either. Do people still call Wood injury-prone? Nope. But Peters has been more consistently reliable over a much longer career. Ten years just in Philly.

9 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Promo, you say that the Bills were "the team that took a chance on him." No. Several teams were interested. The Bills offered a bit of extra money and won the bidding war, but it they hadn't signed him he would have been somewhere else. 

And it's nonsense that he quit on the team. He held out. Those two are not the same thing.

And your point about Wood doesn't hold either. Do people still call Wood injury-prone? Nope. But Peters has been more consistently reliable over a much longer career. Ten years just in Philly.

Your entitled to your take. I clearly recall people complaining about Wood being injured all the time. Also Peters was a UDFA. There aren't bidding wars for UDFAs. He was also a tight end coming out of Arkansas. The Bills moved him to LT.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

33 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

"Anybody but Whaley right." Nope. Not anybody. Just McDermott. Two weeks into McDermott's term here the Pegulas had already switched control from Whaley to McDermott. What defence was McDermott coordinating after he was hired by the Bills? He wasn't. 

On your point about coordinated effort ... fair enough. I totally agree Whaley was here for a reason and had input. But it was extremely clear who pulled the trigger and ran the process, and it was not Whaley. That was McDermott's draft.

Fair enough.  If Whaley was in charge we would have drafted Watson. He really liked Trubisky but Chicago liked him also.

What I was refering to was McDermott was coordinator of the Panthers D while the scouting process was underway in Buffalo.  Doug Whaley was one of the best talent scouts in the game.  

Edited by formerlyofCtown

9 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Who made Jason Peters great? Mularkey, Jauron? Any guesses?  As good as Mouse McNally was, Peters was a rare physical specimen (who ran a sub 5.0 40 at the combine weighing 330 pounds).  He earned the accolades he received.  And, in careers that often last under 4 years, he wanted to get paid after being among the league's best at perhaps the most difficult position to play next to QB.  

Buffalo gave him a raise in 2005 to play RT and he excelled.  He moved to LT in mid-season 2006 and was pretty much dominant (or "dominate" for some fans). 

You don't get selected to 9 Pro Bowls, voted 1st Team All-Pro 2 times, and 2nd Team All-Pro 4 other times unless you're talented.  So talented in fact, that Philadelphia immediately gave him a 6 year 60m contract after the trade. Then later signed him to another 50M+ deal.    

Buffalo was too cheap to pay elite talent and that's why they traded him.  Thank goodness this organization isn't run as poorly as it was a decade ago. 

I agree with a lot of what you said but they were not cheap.  You can't give a guy a new contract every year.  If you did everyone would hold out every year.

Peters has certainly collected his share of accolades.  But at the end of the day,  did he really make that big of an impact?   Who was the LT last year when Philly made their run?  I have seen lots of teams either win or make it to the SuperBowl with replacement level LT talent.       Joe Thomas  ,  a contemporary of Peters also considered to be elite,  sure contributed to an awesome run of SuperBowls and multiple deep playoff runs in Cleveland didn't he?      

At this point,  who cares if the Bill traded away an LT who they thought was an ass.  Now  If it was a QB that would go on to have a career like say a Brees or Steve Young,  that would be another matter.

Edited by prissythecat

47 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

They certainly were cheap.

You missed the point. Peters signed a contract for RT money and then agreed to play LT a few games later at which he excelled the rest of the year. Which opened the door for Peters to have a big payday here or elsewhere - once the terms of the contract he signed was fulfilled.

Can you blame the guy for then wanting LT money?  No, but I blame him for pouting and dragging a$$ the last few years of the contract he signed and he would never have had the shot to get LT money if it were not for the Bills coaching him up and trying him at the position.

Fixed.

Peters also took on the infamous negotiation-killer Eugene Parker as an agent. I don't buy the whole honorable wanted-to-be-here BS. Actions speak louder than words, and Peters actions to me were simply self-serving. Do I blame players for looking out for number one, not in the least, but lets not turn them into some kind of martyrs.

He went after the LT money and did not want to wait for the contract he signed to be fulfilled - is what it is. Would Buffalo had been wise to renegotiate his contract, tough to say as it would have opened the door to the same happening to any of their players who excelled at the positions they were in. Hindsight being 20/20 they could have just left him at RT and tried him out at LT the final year of his contract to avoid the whole allure of LT money.

On another note I read an article that indicated that the gap between LT pay and the rest of the o-line is shrinking. I think for a time the advent of premier blind-side pass rushers (for right handed QBs) made the LT spot worth every dime, but more teams are rushing from either side and have complex blitzes and stunts to attack the middle. It is getting harder to hide the weak links.

• Like (+1) 1