Packers to hire Titans OC Matt LeFleur

YoloinOhio

35 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Talk about some luck.  Works with a first overall pick (Goff), two 2nd overalls (Ryan and Mariota), and now Rodgers.  Talk about picking your spots!

this reminds me of what makes McDaniel a good coach.  Because he does well with the greatest qb ever?  

And he worked with Shanahan and McVay. When left to his own devices this year it didn't look that innovative to me. That said the talent was considerably less. 

The big test of LeFleur will be his leadership. That is the bit where I think there is a lot to prove. I'd have certainly hired LeFleur over DeFilippo. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ittakestime said:

Looks like this was the HC that was most able to be controlled by Rodgers.

I can't see this turning out good.  Titans fans wanted him fired and now they get their wish with him gone.

most fans call for the firing of coaches, nothing major here.

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Talk about some luck.  Works with a first overall pick (Goff), two 2nd overalls (Ryan and Mariota), and now Rodgers.  Talk about picking your spots!

this reminds me of what makes McDaniel a good coach.  Because he does well with the greatest qb ever?  

Worked with the greatest QB ever and fell flat on his face as a head coach without him. 

Here's another perspective:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001008867/article/packers-to-hire-titans-oc-matt-lafleur-as-head-coach

"His pairing with Aaron Rodgers is potentially delicious, if it looks anything like McVay's approach with Jared Goff. The presence of running back Aaron Jones under a coach who might actually use him more than four times a game is also exciting to consider.

LaFleur's background suggests this could be a hire we look back on as genius. But a lack of a demonstrated history running an offense also makes this decision a risk. Time will tell which ends up being true.

With LaFleur's hiring, Josh McDaniels is likely staying in New England. Green Bay was the lone known interview for McDaniels, per Rapoport.

LaFleur's hiring also improves the chances of defensive coordinator Mike Pettine remaining in that position, Rapoport added. Pettine, who's still under contract, was on LaFleur's list presented during his interview. The early expectation is that Pettine stays, though it won't be official until LaFleur makes the final call, per Rapoport."

4 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

He was supposed to be innovative but when they played the Bills I thought the play calling was meh

I wonder how much of the Titans' offensive philosophy is influenced by their defensive minded head coach.

13 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, what an inspiring hire.  Obviously, Rodgers is Mariota on steroids but at some point, shouldn’t results matters?  The Titans’ offense was painful to watch.  

They hired a guy Rodgers will basically tell to shut up if he doesn’t like something he says. 

Fair point but Mariota looked like a stud his second year.  The Titans offense was check down city and it took forever for them to use Henry.  

IMO, this is the direct result of the Sean McVay type but minus the actual results. 

This is the point I think is key.  Rodgers already had the reputation of ignoring an established veteran coach that brought him along.  I do not see a young coach as a good fit for the long term for this team.

Unless they have a plan to address that - I think they will be exciting out of the gate and by mid season reports of Rodgers doing his own thing as the team falters in 3rd and 4th place in that division.

Good Luck to them.