Packers to hire Titans OC Matt LeFleur

YoloinOhio

18 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Hard to say.  Comes from a nice coaching tree, but was basically a figurehead in LA, with McVay calling plays.  Went to TEN, where their offense was in the lower third of the league.

My guess is that Aaron Rodgers will walk all over this guy, ruining the team and the coach's career in the process.

His longevity will depend on his relationship with Rodgers.

Well, everyone in the NFL seems to be looking for the next Sean McVay or Matt Nagy. Bright, young offensive minds who are willing to push the envelope.

When a popular wave such as this comes a long, it brings all boats with it, not just good boats. So the question is, are you getting a good boat or not?

Anyone who says he knows the answer to that question definitively is lying. LaFleur doesn't have a long enough resume in the NFL to point to a conclusion just yet.

Here's hoping, for Rodgers' sake, that the good ship LaFleur carries the Packers passengers to glory!

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

What do you guys think of our new coaching hire? Will we be ok? Anyone know much about this guy?

A extremely exciting and positive hire for the Packers.  Who knew they would be both bold and smart with this decision.  Here I was worried they would bring in a out dated silverback.  Nope!  They went Young.  They went Offense.  They went smart.

First, they picked the right side of the ball to focus on their HC selection.  Offense, Offense, Offense.  You want your fans to be be happy?  To make the playoffs?  To be the next Eagles, Chiefs, Rams, Bears?  They picked the side of the ball.

Second, New HC has strong pedigree and comes from the right Coaching Tree.  You’ve learned under Shanahan, Kubiak and especially McVay?  All I need to hear.  Tells me you know how this game should be played and you are an innovated playcaller.

Third, results.  Developed Matt Schaub into a Pro Bowl QB.  Interegal part of Matt Ryan’s MVP season.  Was on the ground floor when McVay and his staff laid the foundation for all the awesomeness that is happening in LA.

Fourth, Rodgers is going to feel rejuvenated with a breath of fresh air as this guy brings youth, energy, new ideas and innovation to what has become a very stale product in Green Bay.

(That’s not to say McCarthy won’t work with Browns or Jets.  Those are two young QBS who may need some tried and true philosophy’s to allow them to grow.)

but Rodgers needs an injection of the new wave of Coaches.

Packers ready to play ball the way it is supposed to be played in 2019.

Good things happening in Green Bay.

3 hours ago, mannc said:

How can both these things be true?

Ha. Well, he was markedly worse in 2017 and 2018 than he was in his second year in 2016. I was responding specifically to a comment regarding that 2016 season. But nice catch.

Edited by LSHMEAB

You don't have many years left with an elite QB.  That is the biggest selling point to coaches.  You needed to hit a slam dunk with this hire so he/she could be around past Rodgers.

I wouldn't call Matt LeFleur a slam dunk.  I also think McVay has become overrated.

11 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

What do you guys think of our new coaching hire? Will we be ok? Anyone know much about this guy?

Interesting hire.  I would say it critically depends upon who he brings in as DC, and how much input both he as HC and the new DC have into player personnel.  But most critically it really all depends upon Brian Gutekunst.

IMO, Green Bay's fundamental problem since 2010 has been inadequate player personnel - not being able to find enough talent in the draft and lower-tier FA to put enough team around Aaron Rodgers.  Because if you give him enough D, you WILL go places.  That's on Ted Thompson and his crew.

So my question is: how much has Brian Gutekunst really changed up in the scouting and player personnel department?

As for LeFleur, he has a really good pedigree as a QB coach, working with both Cousins in DC and Matt Ryan before his MVP/Superbowl season.  He was nominally OC under McVay, but McVay called the plays so he moved to Tenn as a "step" in his resume.    I wasn't particularly impressed by Tenn. and their offense went from 19th under Robiskie to 27th under LeFleur? but I don't know enough about Tenn. to look into if there's a reason for that other than OC change.  He is a "West Coast" guy so Tenn. and Mariota would have had to master a different system with different terminology, which takes time.  Mariota did complete a higher % of passes and cut his pick total almost in half, so there's that.  Again, I didn't watch Tenn. enough to know what their offense overall looked like.

I would guess LeFleur was hired because of the Shanahan/McVay coaching tree but also because of his history working with QB, including established "star" QB - their top priority may have been finding a HC they feel could establish "detente" with Rodgers and persuade him to go along.

My question would be the offensive design and how integral/intimately familiar with it he may be.  Trent Dilfer, pre-draft talking about Rosen, called out a lot of OCs around the country as not really having that in-depth knowledge but rather they got it from someone else and they don't really understand all the whys and wherefores.  (He kind of implied that might be true of Daboll, but I digress).  That has to have been a top priority for GB because Rodgers would not put up with anyone whose knowledge is "weak sauce".

My worry is he ends up more like Kyle Shanahan than he does Sean McVay.   I think its kind of a hot trend in the NFL to hire younger coaches with more of an emphasis on their schemes than on their experience as a coordinator.  I think you could favorably compare Lafleur to guys like Anthony Lynn and Sean Payton, plenty of years working in football but not really a lot of experience as the leader of an offense.  

Going to be a wait and see.  I just wonder if he is a strong enough personality to coach in Green Bay.

34 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Hard to say.  Comes from a nice coaching tree, but was basically a figurehead in LA, with McVay calling plays.  Went to TEN, where their offense was in the lower third of the league.

My guess is that Aaron Rodgers will walk all over this guy, ruining the team and the coach's career in the process.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/07/nfl-wild-card-weekend-fmia-eagles-chargers-peter-king/

6. I think we’re all still in the business of trying to figure out the problems between Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers, and why the Green Bay offense looked so crummy this year. I asked former NFL quarterback and current Bleacher Report and NBC NFL analyst Chris Simms about it on my podcast this week. His take: The Green Bay offense is just too vanilla. Said Simms:

“I think he [McCarthy] is too regular. It’s just basic West Coast offense. I can promise you guys like Bill Belichick, Mike Zimmer, those guys? They’ve been around it for so long and they had to face Bill Walsh. They know that offense just as good as Mike McCarthy and Aaron Rodgers. They know the rules. Other West Coast guys who’ve been successful, let’s say Sean Payton or Kyle Shanahan or Sean McVay, it’s West Coast-based, but they’ve added their own footprint to it to go, ‘I do this along with it, to make it not the West Coast. But I have my own wrinkles.’ And Green Bay is as basic as it gets. It is what we could call in the NFL Day 1, Day 2 installation, your basic plays you put in the first day the rookies are in. Aaron Rodgers, who, you know, I think is the greatest quarterback of all time … We see him dance around and sit there in the pocket … He’s not doing that because he wants to look cool. He’s doing that because nobody’s open a lot of the time. I also think that he’s been scarred by people not being open so much of the time. Troy Aikman, early in the year, made comments … ‘There’s nobody open.’ I remember my dad [former CBS game analyst Phil Simms] doing it two years ago: ‘There’s no separation.’ “

7. I think that’s an interesting reason—if true—why evidence is now coming out that Rodgers audibled so much, and why he appeared either laconic or disinterested at times. I’ve wondered whether he looked around the league and saw all this imagination—including, this year, in Chicago with rookie coach Matt Nagy—and then looked at his own team and saw the same old thing.

16 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

You all dislike him as much as Brady?

No, I think most of us dislike Brady more.  He's a thorn in our side that just won't go away...16 years of pain.

• Like (+1) 2