Pre-Combine Receiver Rankings

elijah

The WR free agent class is horrible so Beane is going to either have to get creative with a trade or spend a 1st or 2nd round pick on a WR.  I'm not pinnning my hopes on a CFL player. even though he is intriguing.  I know more teams wants to trade back than trade up, but maybe we can get a team to give up a 2nd round pick to move back in the 1st and draft OL, WR, and TE with our top three picks.

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

I think we go for the TE from Iowa, the best bet for a top-tier pass catcher.

Which one? They have two that are expected to be potential 1st or 2nd round picks this year. I'm guessing you mean Fant?

My current rankings pre Senior Bowl/pre Combine:

1. DK Metcalf - I just think his physical tools make him a worthy gamble amongst a class of good but not spectacular prospects
  2. Deebo Samuel - I concur with the scouting report in the OP; love pretty much everything about Deebo. I think people are underrating him a bit due to his size, but he's as good beating press coverage as anyone in this draft class. To me, he's someone that can line up anywhere on offense and be good at it.
  3. N'Keal Harry - Can't help but love the body control and YAC ability that he shows for a guy his size. He has the speed question to answer at the combine and I come away disappointed with how he deals with press coverage, but he's another good prospect IMO.
  4. Tyre Brady - I love him. To me, he might have the best hands in the draft and he shows great body control along with it. Has pretty good athleticism as well. The Senior Bowl will be a big opportunity for him to prove himself but I think he's been slept on big time this year.
  5. Riley Ridley/Kelvin Harmon - Both appear to be good well-rounded receivers. Ridley is a bit more explosive IMO but I think Harmon is better at the catch point.
Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I know you did one hell of a job with these observations, but when the Bills signed Duke Williams, that is a batsignal that we are definitely NOT drafting a WR in the first round.

The entire league watched the Colts drastically improve their offensive line in ONE YEAR, and so we are drafting an offensive lineman, IMO. I applaud the move.

Are you going to do with with the  OLine prospects?

Not going WR in Round 1 is likely true but not because of the Duke Williams signing.

18 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Nice work! Pretty different than my current rankings, but I always enjoy the differing perspectives on draft prospects!

Same. Great work. Always like someone who shows their working out. Don't share all those takes (and there are some guys there I haven't looked at yet) but sterling effort. 

8 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not going WR in Round 1 is likely true but not because of the Duke Williams signing.

Agreed. 

7 hours ago, CSBill said:

I think we go for the TE from Iowa, the best bet for a top-tier pass catcher.

Fant or Hockenson? I’d bet Hockenson gets drafted before Fant. Hockenson is all around TE, big (bigger and taller than Fant), athletic, great hands, can block. Reminds me of a quicker Gronk.

If TJ declares he’ll go round 1, first TE off the board.

He was the Mackey award winner for best TE in the country and his upside is huge.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1

Amazing write up.  Thanks for sharing.

were going to draft one of these guys.  Who will it be and is he the best fit.

Robert Foster, Zay Jones and Isiah McKenzie are current 1-3 and the addition of Duke Williams, I think we may have 4 WRs that can contribute.  The prior 3 have great to good speed and Duke brings in a big body.  Can he catch Josh’s allen passes?  That will determine his fate imo.  That leaves room for 1-2 more WRs. Likely one in the draft and hopefully a free agent vet that can help these young kids develop while also being a clutch target that JA can depend on.

I’ve been diving into some RB prospect game tape the last couple weeks.  WRs and TEs next.

Can certainly appreciate the work and detail...however, my list definitely differs quite a lot and many list I have seen do too.  And I am sure those lists, my list, and your list will obviously all change a lot too once we get into the combine and stuff though.  

One notable shock for me though on your list was how far down you have Metcalf.  I just cant see Metcalf going any later than the 2nd round unless his combine is terrible or something concerning comes up with his neck.  A strong combine IMO will make him a pretty strong candidate for not only the first round (where I expect him to go), but also the first WR taken.  Brown was another I was surprised you had so far down the list too.  But then again, I am no pro scout either :)

21 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I know you did one hell of a job with these observations, but when the Bills signed Duke Williams, that is a batsignal that we are definitely NOT drafting a WR in the first round.

The entire league watched the Colts drastically improve their offensive line in ONE YEAR, and so we are drafting an offensive lineman, IMO. I applaud the move.

Are you going to do with with the  OLine prospects?

That's all moot until we see how free agency shakes out. Our offensive line needs could largely be addressed by the draft (probably not, but it is perhaps possible).

The idea is to go into the draft without glaring needs so that you can draft BPA. Don't be surprised if that BPA is a defensive lineman at 9.

Hopefully we can trade down, but I don't see that happening.

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Can he catch Josh’s allen passes? .....

Likely one in the draft and hopefully a free agent vet that can help these young kids develop while also being a clutch target that JA can depend on.

These are big factors. Guys that don't consistently catch with their hands just won't do. Allen bounces balls off guy's chests. 

And being good in the clutch. Gotta be able to play under pressure.

4 minutes ago, MJS said:

That's all moot until we see how free agency shakes out. Our offensive line needs could largely be addressed by the draft (probably not, but it is perhaps possible).

The idea is to go into the draft without glaring needs so that you can draft BPA. Don't be surprised if that BPA is a defensive lineman at 9.

Hopefully we can trade down, but I don't see that happening.

That was a  "look at me post" by Easternhills. He is trying to sidetrack the discussion. Best ignored. Other threads for that.

Edited by OJ Tom

10 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

Plenty of guys listed that would improve the WRCorp. So I ain't worried.

I trust the Bills to find a guy that will help. I'm not gonna wring my hands over it.

I like K'Neal Harry's style of play, and can picture him on the Bills.

Agreed, I like N’keal, Metcalf, Deebo then Marquise Brown.