Pre-Combine Receiver Rankings

elijah

17 hours ago, elijah said:

Not that he couldn’t get mentioned in the top 15, I just haven’t seen his tape yet so I wasn’t going to make an uneducated report on him. 

We’ll revisit this in late April. Metcalf won’t hold up at the top through the whole process, he may not be as low as 12, but he won’t be a first rounder. 

He’s had serious injury issues along with poor hands and an extremely limited route tree. 

Poor hands?

13 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Poor hands?

From the tape I watched, I saw a lot of concentration drops from him. He looks down field before he has the ball often and it leads to drops.  His hands are pretty subpar, nothing more than average at best. 

Also, the people noticing the work and saying thanks for it, I’ve been trying to give you ‘cheers’ or ‘thanks’ on your posts but I don’t think I’m able too with the new member groups, thank you anyways though! 

Edited by elijah

52 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

Plenty of guys listed that would improve the WRCorp. So I ain't worried.

I trust the Bills to find a guy that will help. I'm not gonna wring my hands over it.

I like K'Neal Harry's style of play, and can picture him on the Bills.

I like Harry too but I've been asking myself whether if Duke works out these two guys would more or less be candidates to fill the same role in this WR corps. I saw some of Duke's Edmonton games last year and he looked to me to have some YAC ability. Not to say that Duke is the prospect Harry is but if they like him the Bills might go in a different direction re skillset to round out their complement of receivers. Or maybe not. Not a lot of time for them to make these assessments but maybe their interest in Duke suggests they are thinking of going in a different direction in the draft. I guess time will tell.

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Let’s just do this right and build an offensive line! 

All the guy did was post some evaluations of the top WR's. There are plenty of other threads discussing O-line, and who/what position should be taken where.

Why not just let this discussion develop without shouting in about the O-line?

Edited by OJ Tom
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Great work. I think we are in agreement that many of these guys are interesting in their own way, and absolutely none of them are worth #9 overall. 

If we’re going receiver first round the most value would be to trade down to the mid 20’s and take the front offices preference of the remaining of Deebo, Harry and Harmon 

Other than that scenario, we should stay put and take a couple of these guys on day two and day three. 

Lots of depth in this class but no stars. 

3 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

All the guy did was some evaluations of the top WR's, there are plenty of other threads discussing O-line, and who should be taken where.

Why not just let this discussion develop without shouting in about the O-line?

Or we could have a thread about middle round receivers and focus on the O Line in round one and two. 

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Amazing write up.  Thanks for sharing.

were going to draft one of these guys.  Who will it be and is he the best fit.

Robert Foster, Zay Jones and Isiah McKenzie are current 1-3 and the addition of Duke Williams, I think we may have 4 WRs that can contribute.  The prior 3 have great to good speed and Duke brings in a big body.  Can he catch Josh’s allen passes?  That will determine his fate imo.  That leaves room for 1-2 more WRs. Likely one in the draft and hopefully a free agent vet that can help these young kids develop while also being a clutch target that JA can depend on.

I’ve been diving into some RB prospect game tape the last couple weeks.  WRs and TEs next.

Agree the ability to catch Allen's ball is a very important, though of course not the only consideration. To me Foster has a habit of trapping the ball into his body. While this is fine w/respect to certain types of throws (eg over the shoulder basket catches - that incidentally Fosterhas shown he can accomplish) it can be problematic obviously on slants and crosses and other important routes. So I suspect this is something RF is working on. 

As for Duke I am less concerned. He has strong hands and uses them to catch the ball. One caveat though is that his Edmonton QB is known for throwing a receiver friendly ball. Not sure we can say the same about Josh at this stage in his development. 

15 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I like Harry too but I've been asking myself whether if Duke works out these two guys would more or less be candidates to fill the same role in this WR corps. I saw some of Duke's Edmonton games last year and he looked to me to have some YAC ability. Not to say that Duke is the prospect Harry is but if they like him the Bills might go in a different direction re skillset to round out their complement of receivers. Or maybe not. Not a lot of time for them to make these assessments but maybe their interest in Duke suggests they are thinking of going in a different direction in the draft. I guess time will tell.

I hope Duke works out, but it's a long shot. I doubt they are counting on him, and would consider it gravy. 

8 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

I hope Duke works out, but it's a long shot. I doubt they are counting on him, and would consider it gravy. 

There are actually a number of players on NFL rosters & practice squads, including WRs with CFL playing experience. Hard to compare the WRs because they have different skillsets (eg I think Dontrelle Inman runs a sub 4.4 forty if memory serves. Duke will never do that). 

My thinking is that Williams may well pleasantly surprise.

6 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

There are actually a number of players on NFL rosters & practice squads, including WRs with CFL playing experience. Hard to compare the WRs because they have different skillsets (eg I think Dontrelle Inman runs a sub 4.4 forty if memory serves. Duke will never do that). 

My thinking is that Williams may well pleasantly surprise.

I think he will make the team, but I'm talking about making a major contribution. 

1 hour ago, elijah said:

From the tape I watched, I saw a lot of concentration drops from him. He looks down field before he has the ball often and it leads to drops.  His hands are pretty subpar, nothing more than average at best.

If I was a thread bumper, this one would be at the top of my list.

I question your evaluating.

18 hours ago, MJS said:

The idea is to go into the draft without glaring needs so that you can draft BPA. Don't be surprised if that BPA is a defensive lineman at 9.

We have too many holes on offense for that... I don't like it at all, ESPECIALLY if we draft the immature Oliver. I am NOT a fan of the defense first approach... the NFL has changed. 

19 hours ago, NewEra said:

Amazing write up.  Thanks for sharing.

were going to draft one of these guys.  Who will it be and is he the best fit.

Robert Foster, Zay Jones and Isiah McKenzie are current 1-3 and the addition of Duke Williams, I think we may have 4 WRs that can contribute.  The prior 3 have great to good speed and Duke brings in a big body.  Can he catch Josh’s allen passes?  That will determine his fate imo.  That leaves room for 1-2 more WRs. Likely one in the draft and hopefully a free agent vet that can help these young kids develop while also being a clutch target that JA can depend on.

I’ve been diving into some RB prospect game tape the last couple weeks.  WRs and TEs next.

Just for context because I was curious about this myself: for the past few years, Buffalo has gone into training camp with at least 12 WRs on their roster (obviously this is before cutting guys). Buffalo currently has 8 under contract for next season (I would guess they bring all of them into training camp but I guess we don't know that for sure), so at minimum, we have room for probably at least 4 more WRs to sign this offseason between free agency, the draft, and UDFA.

• Like (+1) 1

The talent in this draft at WR does not match up well with our draft position. I think we see the Bills add dline in round 1, OL in round 2, and TE in round 3. This seems to be a much stronger TE class than WR class. I wouldn’t mind adding a WR like Anthony Johnson in round 4 or 5.

I think the Bills address WR in free agency. I am hoping for John Brown and Adam Humphries. 

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

We have too many holes on offense for that... I don't like it at all, ESPECIALLY if we draft the immature Oliver. I am NOT a fan of the defense first approach... the NFL has changed. 

We have holes now, but after free agency that will be different. Have patience, young grasshopper.

1 hour ago, MJS said:

We have holes now, but after free agency that will be different. Have patience, young grasshopper.

The only issue I have is that #9 overall pick. Drafting Oliver or another defensive player is just wasting a prime pick we could use for our offensive line.