Team Identity when they move

Since there are still the St. Louis Cardinals in baseball and the New York Giants in football, should MLB and the NFL make a deal that all St. Louis Cardinals football history has to be handled by the baseball team and all New York Giants baseball history has to be handled by the football team?  ?

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, McNubbins said:

I think it has to do with the fans.  I know Houston football fans that still want the Oilers back.  Imagine if the Bills had left Buffalo and we didn't have a team, then got a new one.  Would we still not think fondly on the days of Jim Kelly?

Of course we would. And Toronto, or whatever city they went to, wouldn't have any sort of nostalgia for those days. Earl still spends a lot of time in Houston, and does a lot of appearences on field at Texans games. Sure, he technically wasn't a part of the Houston Texans franchise. But he was a part of Houston football history, which, when it boils down to it, is all that matters.

Like Andre said, he'd only be a part of the Toronto franchise if they paid him. Which essentially meant, if they moved, he wouldn't give two effs what they did. I think if that had happened, Andre, Jim, etc, would distance themselves from the franchise, and when/if Buffalo got another team, whether they were called The Bills or not, would still be part of the franchise, even if only in the eyes of the fans, and not in any official record book. 

3 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Since there are still the St. Louis Cardinals in baseball and the New York Giants in football, should MLB and the NFL make a deal that all St. Louis Cardinals football history has to be handled by the baseball team and all New York Giants baseball history has to be handled by the football team?  ?

Willie Mays would become the all time NFL home run hitter. 

1 hour ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

In my worthless opinion, I think the Colts name belongs to Baltimore, Browns to Cleveland, Rams to LA (Cleveland was before my time - LOL), Cardinals to St. Louis (if they ever get another team) and Oilers belong to Houston.  Raiders should adopt a new name if/when they go to Vegas.  Raiders belong to Oakland.

Expansion/relocating franchises should get fresh starts with new names.  If/when a former NFL city gets a new team, it should be able to resume with the historical nickname of their former team.  The Ravens s/b the Colts and the Indy franchise should be the Shuckers, Hoosiers or something else.

Oh yeah - I so agree with you on the Jazz.  It was a great and fitting name for the New Orleans franchise.  When the Pelicans re-entered the league, they should have had the option to "buy" or "claim" their Jazz name.  On the plus side for Utah - they could have taken advantage of all the marketing gimmicks associated with adopting a new name and identity.

I live in Salt Lake and the the "Jazz" name makes no sense whatsoever. It's completely stupid. They absolutely should have changed the name, especially since the team wasn't even that popular at first when it moved here. Should have renamed as "Pioneers" or something. Too late now.

2 hours ago, Jamie Nails said:

So by the same logic Jim Brown is/was a Raven? At least during the period when Cleveland didn't have a team?

He spoke to the Ravens before their Super Bowl against the Giants. So he obviously considers himself part of that franchise.

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I was reading the other day that the Tennesee Titans consider Earl Campbell, Warren Moon, etc members of their Hall of Fame. I find that ridiculous as none of those guys played a down in Tennessee. I know legally speaking, they're allowed to do that. But ethically speaking. Should they keep team history like the Titans, Colts, etc. Or adopt a whole new identity so a future expansion team can pick them up, a la, When the Browns became the Ravens?

The Browns -> Ravens is an odd one because the Browns came back. Who does Jim Brown belong to? 

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Or is is a Colt? I’m so confused ?‍♂️ 

Right.

who claim Johnny U? Ravens or Colts? Who claims Jim Brown? Browns or Ravens? 

12 minutes ago, Yav said:

Right.

who claim Johnny U? Ravens or Colts? Who claims Jim Brown? Browns or Ravens? 

The Colts technically own Johnny U's record, etc. He's the highest selling throwback jersey in Indy. Or at least was before Peyton retired. But he's said himself he wants no part of that organization anymore. 

2 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

In my worthless opinion, I think the Colts name belongs to Baltimore, Browns to Cleveland, Rams to LA (Cleveland was before my time - LOL), Cardinals to St. Louis (if they ever get another team) and Oilers belong to Houston.  Raiders should adopt a new name if/when they go to Vegas.  Raiders belong to Oakland.

Expansion/relocating franchises should get fresh starts with new names.  If/when a former NFL city gets a new team, it should be able to resume with the historical nickname of their former team.  The Ravens s/b the Colts and the Indy franchise should be the Shuckers, Hoosiers or something else.

Oh yeah - I so agree with you on the Jazz.  It was a great and fitting name for the New Orleans franchise.  When the Pelicans re-entered the league, they should have had the option to "buy" or "claim" their Jazz name.  On the plus side for Utah - they could have taken advantage of all the marketing gimmicks associated with adopting a new name and identity.

***** - Poor St Louis has had both the Cardinals AND the Rams come and go!!!!!

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

What's cool is technically the Kansas City Chiefs were originally the Dallas Texans. So technically they could deny the Texans their name, or charge them a ridiculous amount. They charge them $1 a year. 

Cool. I did not know that.

1 hour ago, vincec said:

He spoke to the Ravens before their Super Bowl against the Giants. So he obviously considers himself part of that franchise.

If the Browns were in Super Bowl he probably would talk to them.

• Like (+1) 1

Geez, and I thought this was another attempt to get the board fired up about the Bills moving.....Doh.....but I digress.....all I know is it was the Houston Oilers who collapsed against the Bills in 1993 and I'm thankful for that.

2 hours ago, RochesterRob said:

That Hall of Fame game was in 2009 so almost ten years ago.  I don't recall the Titans doing anything with their Oilers past after that.  I know I can't impose my will on a group of billionaires but if I could it would mean that if you move and change the name then the records and identity of the old name stays with the old city. 

You are forgetting the "bird" incident in November of 2009.

https://deadspin.com/5405757/crazy-old-man-gives-bills-the-bird

Edited by from_dunkirk
  • Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I think if they change the name they really need a new identity.  If they had remainded the oilers it would seem so off.

They have their own legacy, it includes a foward latteral and the second major snow job for the Bills.  The first one happening in 1996.

The Oilers had a legacy while the Titans had the appeal of an expansion team and still do.  I'd rather have the Oilers come to Buffalo to do battle with the Bills as there is an energy there given the Oilers history dating back to the beginning of the AFL.  The Titans would have to be a SB caliber team for me to want to see them as a Bills opponent.  

2 hours ago, Never NEVER Give-up said:

So what should the Chargers have been called when they were in San Diego?

Many are still alive haha. They can associate with whoever they want. And the team they retired with is the team on their career record books. I'm sure any player that wants his banner retired, number hung up, franchise records etc. would prefer it to be with the more storied franchise. If not I doubt any team  other than MAYBE the Browns should get credit for the players whatsoever. 

If they don't like it welp.. they had crappy owners. Join the several thousands of salty fans that feel the same way. Outside of formal franchise acheivements, nothing's stopping these Oilers from being otherwise entrenched with the Texans franchise and their old Houston fans.. I'm sure Texans and other likewise expansion teams would love that. 

I don't know how much more anybody should care about this. Life happens. Businesses move and sometimes it sucks for the trivial complaint that the team everybody knows a player identifies with isn't currently a team in the specific city they played in anymore.

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

1 hour ago, MJS said:

I live in Salt Lake and the the "Jazz" name makes no sense whatsoever. It's completely stupid. They absolutely should have changed the name, especially since the team wasn't even that popular at first when it moved here. Should have renamed as "Pioneers" or something. Too late now.

Is it?

23 minutes ago, cd1 said:

***** - Poor St Louis has had both the Cardinals AND the Rams come and go!!!!!

Buffalo had the Braves and Stallions go. The Braves became the Clippers.