Rex Ryan Blasts Cody Parkey on ESPN- “I don’t feel sorry for him!”

16 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

As I recall, he doesn’t really like kickers. He was always kind of a prick to Dan Carpenter. 

I always wondered why Carpenter was money kicking field goals when Marrone was the coach but dropped off so much when Rex was.  I still remember Carpenter that one year drilling a 58 yarder against the Lions to win it

18 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It was very slightly tipped by an Eagles player, not noticeable until you watch a zoomed in and slowed down video. Even the player ( Hester) said he didn’t think he got enough of it. Regardless, it wasn’t short and looked like Parkey just pushed it; put too much into it on the retry. The guy has a penchant for misses and hitting posts, and this was known to Pederson. He said he was burning that TO regardless of who the kicker was, but this K ( and many others) just looked unsure of himself. I think he psyched himself out and that “ practice kick” when the TO was called made him overthink it. That won’t work for every kicker, but for one who is already unsure of himself I believe it made the difference. As for Rex, I agree. That’s the kickers job, and he failed. 

As a former kicker in several flag/touch leagues, and long time soccer player, I could tell the minute he kicked it, it was going to be really borderline or a miss...his plant foot went too far out in front of the ball so when he swung his foot, it automatically turned to the left...if you watch his foot as he kicks it, it is pointing left instead of down the middle.  Bad technique...

11 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I always wondered why Carpenter was money kicking field goals when Marrone was the coach but dropped off so much when Rex was.  I still remember Carpenter that one year drilling a 58 yarder against the Lions to win it

Age and/or confidence?

Kicking is a lot of mental gymnastics...when you are making them, you feel like you will never miss and then when you miss a few you feel like you will never make them again...

Sometimes when you miss you want to try and "fix" your technique, which can lead to getting lost as a kicker...

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

I dont mind Rex.  However, his assertion that it was one play is myopic and probably part of the reason he isn't a better coach.  Does the kick matter if Mack doesn't lose against Peters? It's a team game.  The Bears lost as a team.

Spot on. This may be a difficult concept for some to wrap their brains around, but no game in the history of the game has ever been won or lost on one, single play. EVERY play matters and adds to the mosaic, from the first play to the last. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, K-9 said:

Spot on. This may be a difficult concept for some to wrap their brains around, but no game in the history of the game has ever been won or lost on one, single play. EVERY play matters and adds to the mosaic, from the first play to the last. 

I'm going to claim the "Just Give It To 'Em" game as exceptions to the above.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

As a former kicker in several flag/touch leagues, and long time soccer player, I could tell the minute he kicked it, it was going to be really borderline or a miss...his plant foot went too far out in front of the ball so when he swung his foot, it automatically turned to the left...if you watch his foot as he kicks it, it is pointing left instead of down the middle.  Bad technique...

I noticed that and the Eagles were all bunched to the kickers left where they could only touch the ball if he yanked it........and he did.

I don't know if the Eagles ST's coach told them to specifically play for the yank or if it was an attempt to draw his eyes into yanking it........but that is the lower trajectory kick and the one they had a chance to block.

If he just gets under and centers it from there it pops over the block attempt with ease.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CommonCents said:

The kick was deflected. I didn’t click on the video. ESPN lost me once they broke up the Mike and Mike show. 

2 hours ago, BBills88 said:

Mike and Mike was not getting along anymore.

I think they got along pretty good until they first leaked the breakup.  

Just recently I was looking to  see what the latest rating on Get Up have been, but couldn't find anything more recent than late last summer.  I know the show was doing terrible at that time and they were hoping for a boost from football season and recall they made some changes to the line up to try and improve.  But haven't seen anything since to know if it helped at all or not.