Interesting Piece on Duke Williams"s background

BubbaT

Thanks for posting. Honestly I don't know much about the kid but his highlights on YouTube are impressive. Physical player who goes and gets the ball. Really happy we got him and he stays hungry like that. When I was watching him play all I kept thinking is was this should how KB should be able to play if he wasn't so lazy.

So after reading this, I'm convinced that McDermott is going to be successful in year 3. He wants guys that will fight. When people hear him say "character" they think he means choir boys. But what I see is that he wants guys that won't give up, that will put in the work. I think Duke sounds like the epitome of that character that McDermott looks for.

• Like (+1) 3

12 minutes ago, Luka said:

So after reading this, I'm convinced that McDermott is going to be successful in year 3. He wants guys that will fight. When people hear him say "character" they think he means choir boys. But what I see is that he wants guys that won't give up, that will put in the work. I think Duke sounds like the epitome of that character that McDermott looks for.

It's a bit of both really - but definitely agree. The character pieces he likes to focus on are team guys which include guys who fight and put in the work, but equally as important, don't bring down other guys in the process or with selfish play/attitudes. 

Times where this line has been tested in the past are with Dareus, Jerry, JPhillips, and Shady to a degree. Dareus seemed to be the guy that either decided he wanted out of BFlo and there was nothing McD could have done (not that he should have), but either way was a scenario where McD/Beane decided it was better to move on and offload. Jerry's issues pertain mostly to penalty discipline and sometimes running his mouth in-game, but McD seemed to find a reasonable stance there to make it work. JPhil was a known loud mouther and lockerroom issue in Miami, but has so far seemed to have bought into the team/family feel here and hasn't shown much transgression of concern. Shady I point out more so for off the field issues, but McD sticking with the player. I would only add Shaq as a great example of a guy who committed to the team and system, demonstrating your point very well to guys who fight and work. But how much of that was coaching from McD we don't know.

Of course, management decisions regarding all these guys also take into account the fact that you can't offload every guy who acts up if it creates a very difficult hole to fill/replace/accommodate for in season. But all this to illustrate my point that while McD might be looking for "character" guys, what exactly fits that profile or where the line gets drawn may not be where people think it is.

Great article, thanks.  Eager to see how his physicality matches up vs nfl players.  That’s his obvious money maker in the cfl.  His ability to go up and ***** it is impressive even though his very is meh and his hands are small.  

Really eager to see him play.  Always a fan of those bull in a china shop type WRs, but they usually don’t make it in the nfl.

Edited by NewEra

I posted these two interviews the other Duke thread but they are buried on page 12... so sharing them here too... sounds to me like he might have the right mindset for "The Process"

Coach speaks highly of him-  (start around 4:25)

He seems to have a work ethic- 

Edited by One Buffalo
  • Like (+1) 2

I liked the coach and player interviews. I'm impressed with him and hope the performance matches the person. The highlight videos look fantastic but it's a big jump up from CFL to NFL. Truly a no risk move by the Bills. He could be EXACTLY what this team needs and he is still very young. A very encouraging first off season move in my opinion.

I have seen 2 Esks games live this past season.. He really does look like the best receiver out there on both teams. He can flat out run that's for sure.. Thing i don't like about his highlight reel is the same thing that i don't like about CFL Ball. The receivers get a running start on every play. I think him only being out of college for 2 seasons he will still remember 4 down ball. I love his attitude and ethic and he does have a Bills type feel about him.

Read up on this guy, and I must say I have a good feeling about this one. Hopefully his success will continue and if they can grab another couple decent/solid WR's via trade/FA/draft, it should really improve the WR core. With that and whatever upgrades on the OL they manage to land, it's exciting to think what may happen especially if Allen continues to improve and play as well as he did towards the back half of this past season.

I feel as though good things are to come and look forward to it.

• Like (+1) 2

Much of playing receiver in today’s NFL is finding the soft spots in a zone defense. He can sure as heck fight for the ball. I could see him being really effective in the slot, where he could also be a dominant run blocker out of passing formations. The lack of speed would keep me from playing him outside.

The whole article was enlightening.  When the news broke that the Bills had signed a receiver who was kicked off his college team, that didn't sound very McBeane-like at all, but it looks as if he's had a genuine turnaround in his life.  One little interesting detail that I caught is that hecame into his second season in the CFL "leaner" than he had been.  I wonder if that leanness made a difference in his speed and quickness.  His reputation is that of a strong, physical receiver, but he wasn't that fast.  If he could cut a couple tenths off his 40 time, that could add a whole new dimension to his game for the NFL and the Bills.

Edited by TigerJ