For Bills Fans In Other Markets, What is your relationship to your local team?

Out of town fans  

185 members have voted

1. 1. What is your relationship to the team that is local to you?

• They're my favorite team, Bills are #2
    • Close second to the Bills
    • Distant second to Bills
    • Mostly indifferent
    • Can't stand them

I grew up in Rochester, but have lived outside of DC for the past few years now. I don't care about the Redskins at all. I actually grew up a Tampa Bay Bucs fan but I always went to Bills training camp and rooted for Buffalo on the side and then became more of a Bills fan after I moved away because it's given me an easy way to stay connected with my family (all Bills fans).

So at this point, I'd say I'm a Bills fan who roots for Tampa on the side. I'm completely indifferent to the Redskins.

20 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

Same. Never quite understood the passion to see another team fail in the playoffs while the Bills are sitting at home.

I'm also a Michigan fan and don't give a bleep about Ohio State. If the team I root for is not involved, I really don't care either way.

I have a friend who is a big fan of the NFL, MLB, NHL and less of an NBA fan.   When almost any game comes on, and none of his teams is involved, he is rooting for the team that he dislikes least.  It's almost like he has them ranked in order of personal dislikability.   That always seemed to take too much, maintaining an active dislike for some team. 

Even if I had a dislike for the Pats, it would be hard not to recognizable how remarkable their success has been.   It's undeniable.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I live in St Louis.  We don't have a team,  and I've always been a Bills fan, but when we did have a team, they never drew me in even as a secondary.  Partly it was a function of the local sports media, oddly enough. 

When the Bills started fielding great teams and went to 4 straight Superbowls while this town had just lost their team to the P-something Cardinals, the stranded football writers were just awful about the Bills - dissing them off, totally failing to recognize what an achievement it was just to GET to 4 successive championship games.  I couldn't stand them.

Then when the Rams came to town and the Greatest Show on Earth started up, they were soooooo smug.  It was going to be a dynasty.  The rest of the league was in trouble, yadda yadda.  Yeah, how'd that work out for ya. 

I should be more sympathetic because football fans in this town got screwed over multiple times in multiple ways, but, I'm really not.

My NFC team has always been the Packers.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I have a friend who is a big fan of the NFL, MLB, NHL and less of an NBA fan.   When almost any game comes on, and none of his teams is involved, he is rooting for the team that he dislikes least.  It's almost like he has them ranked in order of personal dislikability.   That always seemed to take too much, maintaining an active dislike for some team. 

Even if I had a dislike for the Pats, it would be hard not to recognizable how remarkable their success has been.   It's undeniable.  

First; it's actually the way I "feel." I simply don't have any negative emotions about the Patriots or any team. They're irrelevant in terms of "passion." If the Bills, Michigan, or sorry Detroit Tigers aren't involved, I'm just observing competition.

Secondarily; you want to really piss off a Patriots/Ohio State/Indians fan? Show antipathy towards their respective team. Nothing infuriates an opposing fan like dismissal. 

I'll root passionately against the Patriots when they're playing the Bills. And yes, as a casual observer, it's impossible to ignore their achievements.

I've been in the Northern Virginia suburbs of Washington, DC, for 35 years. I never cottoned to the 'skins or the Ravens. However, after Joe Gibbs and Bobby Beathard left the 'skins, I had to grudgingly admit that they were a great GM/HC combo.   Curiously, the one thing I do miss by not living in WNY is access to CFL games. I've long found the CFL to be a lot of fun to watch.

I live near LA.  Indifferent towards the Rams.  The Chargers are a close second though.   Mainly because my son has chosen them as his favorite team but I liked them before that. Always felt a kinship towards them.  Former AFL team from a City with just two pro teams like Buffalo (when they were in SD).  And like Buffalo neither has achieved ultimate success.   The move to LA did not bother me too much.  Wish they were still in SD for sure. 

Grew up in Rochester and was a diehard Bills fan since around 1967 (seven years old) and went to quite a few games (and for a short time had seasons tickets) when I lived in the Binghamton area after college.

As a kid, I kind of liked the Chargers as my 2nd favorite team when Fouts was the QB, but always a very distant 2nd to the Bills, rooted for Chargers in the playoffs since the Bills were almost never in them. Moved to Orange County CA in 1993 which is halfway between LA and San Diego, around an hour from each. So, I'd still say I root for the Chargers and to a lesser degree for the Rams when the Bills are out of it, but in reality, I don't know most of their player's names, don't read every article I can find about them, and in no way do I care anywhere near as much as I care about the Bills.

Live in Philly, won't ever be an NFC fan, will watch eagles games and am getting caught up in the excitement of the past couple seasons, but if they lose, oh well.  Indifferent to Hockey as a whole, but will root for the Sabres if they make the playoffs.  Sixers fan because they used to be the old Syracuse Nationals.  I'd rather die than be an NL fan, Yankee fan thru and thru, Phillies aren't even on my radar

Live in Raleigh, so Panthers closest team. It seems I go to a game a year, as tix just seem to fall in my lap for some reason (friend going has an extra ticket, etc.). Also on TV all the time so I do watch and kind of root for them, but in no way is it depressing when they lose like the Bills. For some strange reason and I'm not sure why, I've been rooting for the Giants more than the Panthers recently (and again, nowhere close to Bills passion).

Living in Tallahassee, I'm within reasonable driving distance to Jax, ATl, and Tampa. Miami 8-9 hrs. Don't root for any of them. My 2nd favorite is FSU football. I know it's college and not pro, but you couldn't tell by the ticket prices. Booster fees are required to purchase season tix too. Kind of like the license fee newer NFL stadiums want to charge. 

21 hours ago, WhoTom said:

He's getting better, but he used to pronounce it "Bee-iws". Then he started getting the L sound right, and eventually got it to a single syllable that sounds more like I than E.

Got it. Thanks. Guess I need to get a TV to watch, lol.

20 hours ago, CLTbills said:

I live in the Charlotte area... and I'll admit, it was fun when the Panthers went on their run a few years back, and I'll certainly admit I was pulling for them in the SB. I think it would have been amazing for this city. But for the most part, I couldn't care less about them. I can't freaking stand cam newton.

that, and my friends that are panthers fans aren't obnoxious douches about it.

Lots of people I knew growing up in WNY in the 80's/90's moved to that area. Lots of Bills fans there, and also an old Adams Division rivalry between the Sabres and Hurricanes that was preserved from when they used to be the Whalers.

29 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Living in Tallahassee, I'm within reasonable driving distance to Jax, ATl, and Tampa. Miami 8-9 hrs. Don't root for any of them. My 2nd favorite is FSU football. I know it's college and not pro, but you couldn't tell by the ticket prices. Booster fees are required to purchase season tix too. Kind of like the license fee newer NFL stadiums want to charge. 

I have season tickets for UH baseball. Never attended the school, just a fan of the team. I have a friend that's alumni who I asked if she could buy my season tickets for me. I'd pay her, just wanted to use her alumni discount. She said it's actually the opposite. Me being a guy off the street, I just pay for the tickets. Her being alumni, is expected to buy tickets, a parking spot, and make a donation.