For Bills Fans In Other Markets, What is your relationship to your local team?

Out of town fans  

185 members have voted

1. 1. What is your relationship to the team that is local to you?

• They're my favorite team, Bills are #2
    • Close second to the Bills
    • Distant second to Bills
    • Mostly indifferent
    • Can't stand them

I'm in the Chicago area. I was a Bears fan by default as a kid, but officially adopted the Bills as my team in 88'. I don't have any other teams I root for, Bills only.

I feel no emotion whatsoever for the Bears, they're the same as any non-rival team to the Bills to me. When they missed that FG yesterday, I honestly didn't care one way or another. I can relate of course...

Depends on the fanbase, and also the team:

When I lived in southern Maine and everybody was a Patriots fan, I couldn't stand it. They thought their Patriots were so good--this was in the 90's when they went to the Super Bowl under Drew Bledsoe. The reality is they sucked. The Bills owned them.

When I lived in Philadelphia in the oughts (2000's), I went crazy as the typical Philadelphia sports fan was snarky. They are a bunch of drunken blowhards who live for the Eagles. They say "E - A - G - L - E - S - Eagles!". The Eagles are their lives since they are desperate for a championship. Total loser, uneducated, working class, snowy town. Disgusting. They also thought the Phillies and Cole Hamel was the sh*t, lol.

Now that I live in the the San Francisco, sports fans are more classy, more refined. Their teams exhibit true sportsmanship. So I liked when the 49ers were winning under Colin Kaepernick, and I love the Warriors and Giants, except when they are playing Buffalo's official MLB team (the Yankees)--and they are the official Buffalo team--look it up..

Edited by from_dunkirk

1 hour ago, CajunBillsBacker said:

Saints are a distant second. I’m more of a fan of Brees than the Saints if that makes sense.

Saints fans are annoying, especially because I’ve been a Bills fan since Saints fans were wearing paper bags over their heads in the 80’s. 

Those people who are dumbfounded because I’m a Bills fan and not a Saints fan really didn’t care until Sean Payton and Drew Brees came along. Now they are all super fans with their black and gold everything.

Thank you. I'm in Gulfport and it's just as bad. When I moved here in 96 I wanted to root for the Saints as my second favorite team. The fans made it impossible. Every one of them swears that they are lifelong fans and have been to every game since they became a team but nobody went to the games or even cared about them before Brees and Payton and they even turned on them a couple of years ago even though they all swear they didn't now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, from_dunkirk said:

Depends on the fanbase, and also the team:

When I lived in southern Maine and everybody was a Patriots fan, I couldn't stand it. They thought their Patriots were so good--this was in the 90's when they went to the Super Bowl under Drew Bledsoe. The reality is they sucked. The Bills owned them.

When I lived in Philadelphia in the oughts (2000's), I went crazy as the typical Philadelphia sports fan was snarky. They are a bunch of drunken blowhards who live for the Eagles. They say "E - A - G - L - E - S - Eagles!". The Eagles are their lives since they are desperate for a championship. Total loser, uneducated, working class, snowy town. Disgusting. They also thought the Phillies and Cole Hamel was the sh*t, lol.

Now that I live in the the San Francisco, sports fans are more classy, more refined. Their teams exhibit true sportsmanship. So I liked when the 49ers were winning under Colin Kaepernick, and I love the Warriors and Giants, except when they are playing Buffalo's official MLB team (the Yankees)--and they are the official Buffalo team--look it up..

Nah. I grew up an Indians fan because I was a die hard Bisons fan. My dad raised me to root for whatever baseball team I wanted, except the Yankees. 

when i first moved to DC, I wont say I liked the Redskins, but if Bills were out of it I was okay if they won. Went to a ton of games at RFK, and that was a great place to see games and a lot of fun, and easy as all get out to in and out.

Went to a lot of games at Fedex when it opened as well, as had a job where I did a ton of entertaining. the first couple of years was fun there too.

Then Snyder took over...and now I really can't stand that team..and many of their long-term fans also can't stand the team due to Snyder.

Living in LA area, Rams are my #2 albeit a distant #2.  I liked the Rams as a kid before becoming a Bills fan in the late 80’s.  So always liked to see them do well, but didn’t really start following them again until they moved backed to LA.

For example, I’m on this board way too much every day where I have never once been on a Rams message board.  

1 hour ago, Augie said:

That will be a weird deal. Most people in Vegas are from somewhere else, I assume. No deep loyalty there like in WNY, the Steelers, etc. But you have a zillion people coming and going all the time, and sure, I’d hit a game while I was there. Will that be the weakest homefield advantage in the league? 

(I’d personally dislike them, but that’s just a Gruden thing for me.) 

The only games I’ll go to are the Bills games, which I think might be the inaugural season, playoff games (if they have any) and maybe MNF.  

There’s a lot of California transplants here and not many are hardcore Rams or chargers fans.  Mostly niners or raiders.  Those that aren’t hardcore will likely be raider fans.  I doubt there’s much home field advantage considering every opposing fan will circle this one on the schedules and make the trip.  Tickets will probably be pricey if it’s simiar to the Golden Knights.  

Dont like gruden Augie?  I like him.  Not that I think he’s a football genius, I just think he’s a good guy in general.  

I'm in SE Florida in the Dolphins viewing area! 

Needless to say, I voted "can't stand them."

I have grown to adopt the Panthers in the NHL and their TV broadcast crew as sort of a secondary NHL team of interest behind the Sabres, but they are way, way behind the Sabres for me.

That is mostly because the Sabres really don't have a negative history with the Panthers and, for a while now, the Panthers have been terrible so they are no threat.

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'm in SE Florida in the Dolphins viewing area! 

Needless to say, I voted "can't stand them."

I have grown to adopt the Panthers in the NHL and their TV broadcast crew as sort of a secondary NHL team of interest behind the Sabres, but they are way, way behind the Sabres for me.

That is mostly because the Sabres really don't have a negative history with the Panthers and, for a while now, the Panthers have been terrible so they are no threat.

They're talking about brining the Coyotes to Houston. If that happens, assuming they're in the Western Conference, I'm sure I'll root for them as a distant second. Maybe go to a few games a year. I'd honestly rather have an AHL team. We used to have one, and I loved them. Only rooted against them when Rochester came to town. 

If you read my location over there on the left, you know I voted for can't stand them. I would have voted for HATE them but that wasn't an option.

<----------------- Davie, FL

Edited by qwksilver
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

They're talking about brining the Coyotes to Houston. If that happens, assuming they're in the Western Conference, I'm sure I'll root for them as a distant second. Maybe go to a few games a year. I'd honestly rather have an AHL team. We used to have one, and I loved them. Only rooted against them when Rochester came to town. 

Do you like baseball at all?  With no MLB team in WNY growing up, it becomes easy to grow to like other teams as there's no real history there one way or the other.

I lived in DC for many years and really adopted the Nats (once they came into existence) as a team I really cheered for, particularly as they are NL and I have always been a Red Sox/AL guy.

My point is at least you have a baseball team in Houston to potentially cheer for and adopt as your own.

It's always better if you cheer for and adopt a sports team that is local; it's just so much easier to follow what they're doing, watch the games, the stuff surrounding the games, etc.

1 minute ago, Nextmanup said:

Do you like baseball at all?  With no MLB team in WNY growing up, it becomes easy to grow to like other teams as there's no real history there one way or the other.

I lived in DC for many years and really adopted the Nats (once they came into existence) as a team I really cheered for, particularly as they are NL and I have always been a Red Sox/AL guy.

My point is at least you have a baseball team in Houston to potentially cheer for and adopt as your own.

It's always better if you cheer for and adopt a sports team that is local; it's just so much easier to follow what they're doing, watch the games, the stuff surrounding the games, etc.

I was a huge Bisons fan back in Buffalo. I was an Indians fan as an extension because half of the team spent part of their career in Buffalo. When the Bisons switched affilations, I stayed an Indians fan, but my passion went significantly down. I moved here and slowly became an Astros fan. Adopted them as my NL team, and when the Indians blew up their roster, and had no more former Bisons on the team, I was all in for the 62-100 Astros.

They're my favorite MLB team. I go all the time. It's weird. Baseball is my favorite sport, more than hockey or football.  I was excited when they won. But because I haven't been a lifelong fan like I have been for the Bills and Sabres, I didn't have the same feelings as my father in law, who's been rooting for them since he went to the very first game at the Astrodome. 

I've actually become a bigger fan of the Univiersity of Houston Cougars baseball team. I have season tickets, and they've been conference contenders most years. 

3 hours ago, flomoe said:

Live in Orlando so there’s technically no local team but the Jags and Bucs are televised as local and the Fish get a lot of local TV airtime. I can’t stand either of the two AFC teams and I’m indifferent on the Bucs. I’ll keep up with them a little because I have friends that are fans but I’m a Bills fan and I don’t root for anyone else except whoever is playing the Pats, Jets, Dolfins and Cowboys.

I live in Palm Bay Fl and that's pretty much how I feel about the 3 Florida teams.

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

The only games I’ll go to are the Bills games, which I think might be the inaugural season, playoff games (if they have any) and maybe MNF.  

There’s a lot of California transplants here and not many are hardcore Rams or chargers fans.  Mostly niners or raiders.  Those that aren’t hardcore will likely be raider fans.  I doubt there’s much home field advantage considering every opposing fan will circle this one on the schedules and make the trip.  Tickets will probably be pricey if it’s simiar to the Golden Knights.  

Dont like gruden Augie?  I like him.  Not that I think he’s a football genius, I just think he’s a good guy in general.  

I was in the Tampa market during his days there. He was very unpopular with a lot of players and had a reputation for being “disingenuous”. Enough ex-players came out and said he lied to them I started to think, where there’s smoke..... Keenan McCardale in particular was very vocal. A local radio guy who was a former Buc and still had friends in the locker room didn’t seemed too thrilled with him, either. 

But it gets a little more personal than that. Our sons competed at 7 on 7’s at USF, and he’d have a temper tantrum every time my kid got picks off his ‘roided up looking kid. He was a little too intense for a bunch of 16-17 years old kids at a scrimmage, but maybe that shouldn’t be surprising.

He’d also show at some of the local HS games where he had a reputation, but I did not personally witness the worst stories there. He was not the goofy likeable guy you see on TV. He could be a jerk. I found I liked him better on TV than the sideline. I stayed true thru the Rex days, but Gruden just might put me over the edge. 

Edited by Augie

I live in Maine. I hate the Patriots so very much. Patriots fans are the only thing I really hate about living here; every other negative about Maine (isolation, rampant poverty, lack of culture) is relatively minor to me, especially in light of what a beautiful place this is. I won't go to the bar when the Pats game is on; I have been aggressively harassed and threatened just for being a Bills fan, even when (especially when) the Pats are throttling us. The accent just makes it worse. They are the worst fans in sports. And the wings suck, and of course they serve them with Ranch. 

• Haha (+1) 3