Baltimore had 50 yards total offense going into the 4th quarter

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

He does indeed. But like Josh, he has a lot of time to do all that work. He and Josh are both young.

Yes, he and Allen are both young with both having work to do. If we are talking about which QB you would rather have leading your team? I take Allen every time. They both are gifted athletically and can take off running with the ball, but Jackson is clearly the more electric of the two. I just see Allen as the more talented QB prospect for the future. Jackson can be Atlanta version Vick-esque throwing for 2,500-3,000 yards a season while rushing for 800 if he can stay healthy. That the absolute most imo. He's kind of frail at this point though and I think the NFL hits will take their toll. I just don't see him ever being the type of QB who wins you games with his arm. I see Allen as being a QB who can succeed from the pocket once we get the OL fixed and upgrade the WR group. I see Allen winning us plenty of games with his arm the better the pieces are around him. Of course all of this is just opinion and we'll have to see how the next 2-3 years play out. 

Not sure if it was posted in here already, but the Chargers came out and said after the game that they noticed on film that the Ravens O-Line was tipping their pitches before every play. Based on the way one of their tackles lined up, they knew if it was a pass or a run every single play and based on the way the TEs lined up, they knew exactly where the Ravens planned on running. Pretty alarming if you're a Ravens fan to have coaches that don't notice stuff like that.

• Like (+1) 1

I read an article on cbssports yesterday that echoed what I said.  A Chargers player I forget his name said they knew 70% of the Ravens plays.  That loss is entirely on the coaching IMO.  You can't come back and do the same thing and expecting the same results when the other team is doing something else to stop what you did before.  No adjustments is completely on the coaching.

16 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Correction: Prevent SHOULDN'T allow the WR to get behind the D.  But sometimes it does.  And what makes more sense - letting the opponent knock on your door in the red zone, or keeping them on the wrong side of the 50?

I understand your point about how Prevent D is supposed to work, when it works.  My counterpoint is here is a team, sitting on a nice comfortable lead in part because their D played "nasty" and throttled the opponent.  So instead of "dancing with the one who brung ya", you switch to a D that might not fire on all cylinders.  And when it doesn't, well Hey, now the difference between garbage time and a comeback for the bad guys can be miiiiighty thin.

Totally agree - and the other problem with prevent-type defenses is if they switch to a passive zone. Most competent QBs and receivers know how to find the soft spots in zone coverage and often those soft spots allow receivers a shot at getting out of bounds and stopping the clock. Most of your patient veteran QBs will eat that situation up to march their team down the field into scoring position.

If you are pressuring a QB into making poor decisions, why let up and let him gather himself and get into a rhythm?

Offenses practice what they will do for their 2-minute drills so some DCs react to that up-tempo situation. I think defenses are better served sticking to what has worked for them, and keeping the pressure on the QBs. If they go empty backfield, just use the defense you employed to stop that during the game, with an understanding that you do not want to give up the sidelines to stop the clock, but that should not take precedence over simply preventing the completion from happening in the first place via QB pressure and successful man coverage.

Probably over-simplifying it, but I have seen a lot of great defensive efforts flushed over the final 2-minutes of a game when a defense stops being aggressive and lays off the gas.

54 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I read an article on cbssports yesterday that echoed what I said.  A Chargers player I forget his name said they knew 70% of the Ravens plays.  That loss is entirely on the coaching IMO.  You can't come back and do the same thing and expecting the same results when the other team is doing something else to stop what you did before.  No adjustments is completely on the coaching.

Well then the Cowboys knew 70% of Seattle's plays as they were all runs and they did not take advantage or use Russell Wilson like they should. 

3 hours ago, DCOrange said:

Not sure if it was posted in here already, but the Chargers came out and said after the game that they noticed on film that the Ravens O-Line was tipping their pitches before every play. Based on the way one of their tackles lined up, they knew if it was a pass or a run every single play and based on the way the TEs lined up, they knew exactly where the Ravens planned on running. Pretty alarming if you're a Ravens fan to have coaches that don't notice stuff like that.

1 hour ago, NewEraBills said:

Well, there's a couple of points here.  One is, if you execute well enough, the opponent may know what you're going to do and not be able to stop it.

Thurman Thomas is on record saying that about the KGun Bills Offense, that the opponents knew what they were going to run and still couldn't stop it.

That may have been the situation for the Ravens - that opponents knew what they were gonna do but couldn't stop it.  Of course, then sooner or later someone who knows what you're going to do does figure out how to stop it (Cleveland 2nd half?), at which point your meal ticket is obsolete 'cuz everyone else picks up on it (Chargers D).

Another point is that with Lamar Jackson, the coaches' vocabulary may have been very limited.  It was clear they weren't executing a normal NFL offense, but a stripped-down set of plays tailored to his skills.  There still ought to be room for some misdirection and deception there.

I think the point that the Ravens coaches failed to adjust and that in the football chess game of Coach vs Coach, Harbaugh lost, still stands.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/7/2019 at 6:23 AM, H2o said:

A faster, but lesser of a passer version of Tyrod. Lamar is young and may improve though. He has a lot of work to do. 

I'll take "Things I never thought I'd see in the NFL for $200, Alex"

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, KD in CA said:

I'll take "Things I never thought I'd see in the NFL for $200, Alex"

And again as soon as it seemed TT was developing chemistry with Watkins they blew that up to start 2017........  

Still concerned as to the Bills commitment to offense.  

50 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yeah if you want to call it that.  There was some badly blown coverage on at least one of those TD drives.  Even Tyrod Taylor would have exploited that.

Wrong answer, you and I and everyone else here knows that Tyrod never saw anyone when they were wide open.

20 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I also think some of the biggest Jackson critics would be defending Allen if he had a similar game in the playoffs.

jackson has a lot of work to do as pretty much every rookie QB does.  I will say I loved his attitude after the game. He went around high fiving fans who were booing him and taking accountability for his poor play.

News flash -- fans defend players on their own team and criticize players on other teams.  At least usually.  That said, Jackson's game was trash.

I still don't think Jackson is a very smart guy and as soon as defenses appropriately scheme for his one-trick show (which already began to happen Sunday) he'll be in trouble unless he suddenly becomes someone he hasn't been before.  He's lucky to play on a team with a defense so good they'll make up for his weaknesses most of the time.