Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

5 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Bran says he's not a Stark any longer.   Two and a half Starks and a Three Eyed Raven.  

1 Targaryen.  (Dany).

2 Starks.  (Arya and Sansa).

1 Stark / Targaryen.  (Jon Snow).

1 Lannister / Targaryen.  (Tyrion).

1 Three Eyed Raven.  (Bran).

• Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PIZ said:

1 Targaryen.  (Dany).

You'd have thought Bran could "look and see" if Tyrion was actually a Lannister / Targaryen

2 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

You'd have thought Bran could "look and see" if Tyrion was actually a Lannister / Targaryen

I don't think Tyrion is a Targ.

Aside from the fact that Tywin called him his son multiple times, and the fact that Dinklage himself shot it down in an interview last year (https://www.elitedaily.com/p/the-tyrion-targaryen-game-of-thrones-theory-was-officially-shut-down-by-peter-dinklage-11996512) there's the whole "Martin speak" thing that lent much credence to the idea that Jon wasn't Ned's son.

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1202/

5. Since all of their mothers died, who gave Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister their names?

Mothers can name a child before birth, or during, or after, even while they are dying. Dany was most like named by her mother, Tyrion by his father, Jon by Ned.

The above quote from Martin was often referenced amongst readers as evidence that Jon wasn't Ned's son.  I mean, he drew the line pretty clearly there; Dany's mother, Tyrion's father, and Ned (not "Jon's father").

Clearly he chose his words carefully.

6 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I'd honestly rather have had less of the battle scenes and more of the character developments these past 2 seasons.

Agreed.  A lot of what has made the books and series good were the ways in which battles were avoided rather than fought.  I get it that these last two battles were inevitable.  Actually, one was a battle then the other was not -- more like a slaughter.

6 hours ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I don't think anyone is saying that the burning of King's Landing wasn't likely. It wasn't a surprise as such.

The burning of Kings Landing was as likely as not.  It was not a given even up to the time before the Night King was defeated.  Only then did she notice how Jon was revered, and his claim sealed her fate.  Even when Tyrion begged her to call off the attack if the bells started ringing, she gave a tepid assent.  When she was sitting on her dragon listening to the bells, she almost relented.

25 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I don't think Tyrion is a Targ.

Aside from the fact that Tywin called him his son multiple times, and the fact that Dinklage himself shot it down in an interview last year (https://www.elitedaily.com/p/the-tyrion-targaryen-game-of-thrones-theory-was-officially-shut-down-by-peter-dinklage-11996512) there's the whole "Martin speak" thing that lent much credence to the idea that Jon wasn't Ned's son.

https://www.westeros.org/Citadel/SSM/Entry/1202/

5. Since all of their mothers died, who gave Jon Snow, Daenerys Targaryen and Tyrion Lannister their names?

Mothers can name a child before birth, or during, or after, even while they are dying. Dany was most like named by her mother, Tyrion by his father, Jon by Ned.

The above quote from Martin was often referenced amongst readers as evidence that Jon wasn't Ned's son.  I mean, he drew the line pretty clearly there; Dany's mother, Tyrion's father, and Ned (not "Jon's father").

Clearly he chose his words carefully.

Neither do I.   but they had left that storyline questionable with Tywin's comments. 

FWIW Lyanna's named for her son.  Ned used Jon to hide the truth.

I was kind of disappointed that Damphair never made it into the TV show as he was portrayed in the books as a competitor to Euron.

Griff of the Golden Company really never developed enough to merit an entrance.  

20 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Neither do I.   but they had left that storyline questionable with Tywin's comments. 

FWIW Lyanna's named for her son.  Ned used Jon to hide the truth.

I was kind of disappointed that Damphair never made it into the TV show as he was portrayed in the books as a competitor to Euron.

Griff of the Golden Company really never developed enough to merit an entrance.  

He's in the show...for about 5 minutes...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4283028/characters/nm0269923

• Like (+1) 1

Damphair wasnt a competitor.  He was/is a prophet who doesn't want Euron to sit the Seastone Chair because he is not a holy man/doesnt worship the Drowned God (and his crew is filled with mute mongrels from all over the world).  I like Damphair's character (although many see him as dull)

Victarion, the other brother, who was the commander of the Iron Fleet, was the primary contender for the Seastone Chair.  Asha/Yara was another competitor (while Reek/Theon is out there with technically the best mainland law claim).

They skipped right over the Griff/Jon Connington and Young Griff/Aegon storyline, and I can see why (unless this proves to be some major shift in plot in the Winds of Winter).  This was part of the cumbersome 'bulk' that was added in Dance With Dragons that is probably the reason we have an 8 year delay (so far) between books.  

Edited by May Day 10

20 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He's in the show...for about 5 minutes...

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4283028/characters/nm0269923

I thought that was him but the diminished role and actor choice IMO sucked.  

16 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Damphair wasnt a competitor.  He was/is a prophet who doesn't want Euron to sit the Seastone Chair because he is not a holy man/doesnt worship the Drowned God (and his crew is filled with mute mongrels from all over the world).  I like Damhair's character (although many sees him as dull)

Victarion, the other brother, who was the commander of the Iron Fleet, was the primary contender for the Seastone Chair.  Asha/Yara was another competitor (while Reek/Theon is out there with technically the best mainland law claim).

They skipped right over the Griff/Jon Connington and Young Griff/Aegon storyline, and I can see why (unless this proves to be some major shift in plot in the Winds of Winter).  This was part of the cumbersome 'bulk' that was added in Dance With Dragons that is probably the reason we have an 8 year delay (so far) between books.  

ehhh semantics  LOL   

He didn't want Euron to succeed. Damhair's character in the books was much more interesting (from what I recall)

or maybe I'm confusing him and Victarion (who never appeared int he TV show).

And what of Euron's horn that supposedly could control dragons (which killed one guy that blew on the horn).  

Euron wanted to marry Dany and get her pregnant and not Cersei. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 hours ago, PIZ said:

1 Targaryen.  (Dany).

And only one of them is ice and fire. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

'Game of Thrones' Ratings: Penultimate Episode Is Most-Watched in Series History

The episode was watched by 12.48 million viewers during its initial broadcast, which handily trumps the previous record of 12.07 million, held by the season 7 finale. Given the colossal numbers put up by “The Bells,” an episode which divided opinion among fans and critics, one would expect that the series finale of the HBO behemoth will steal the viewership crown.

Reveal hidden contents

destined to kill the one he loves

Also scored a record low 47% rating on Rotten Tomatoes fwiw

20 hours ago, DC Tom said:

I blame lots of people, including Martin.  Mostly, though, whichever bean-counters decided to end with a truncated final two seasons.  It's lazy writing, but the single biggest contributing factor is probably the need to truncate the story to fit the schedule.

IIRC, it wasn't the Beane counters - HBO actually want more GOT, it was D&D who wanted out and decided that they would take the 13 episodes in seasons 7 & 8 and shoe horn it into a scripted ending. 

I read somewhere on the inter-webs, (this is extremely condensed) that GRR wrote the story to grow organically, he would create a gardening bed and place the characters in a situation and ask, how would they react and that is what he wrote. It was very organic, that is what in essence created the depth and all of the various plots and character arcs and the story would grow with many branches and twists and turns; it also became a B word to manage (apparently the other way to write a story is to have a very rigid framework that you follow all the way through). Once the decision was made to end the series D&D knew the ending they wanted and gave themselves 13 episodes to move the characters along to be able to fit the ending, which in essence is the rigid framework method. That is what has made the last couple seasons seem less cohesive overall and gets us to where we are today.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

IIRC, it wasn't the Beane counters - HBO actually want more GOT, it was D&D who wanted out and decided that they would take the 13 episodes in seasons 7 & 8 and shoe horn it into a scripted ending. 

I read somewhere on the inter-webs, (this is extremely condensed) that GRR wrote the story to grow organically, he would create a gardening bed and place the characters in a situation and ask, how would they react and that is what he wrote. It was very organic, that is what in essence created the depth and all of the various plots and character arcs and the story would grow with many branches and twists and turns; it also became a B word to manage (apparently the other way to write a story is to have a very rigid framework that you follow all the way through). Once the decision was made to end the series D&D knew the ending they wanted and gave themselves 13 episodes to move the characters along to be able to fit the ending, which in essence is the rigid framework method. That is what has made the last couple seasons seem less cohesive overall and gets us to where we are today.

This is correct from what I've read.   

12 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

'Game of Thrones' Ratings: Penultimate Episode Is Most-Watched in Series History

The episode was watched by 12.48 million viewers during its initial broadcast, which handily trumps the previous record of 12.07 million, held by the season 7 finale. Given the colossal numbers put up by “The Bells,” an episode which divided opinion among fans and critics, one would expect that the series finale of the HBO behemoth will steal the viewership crown.

Azor Ahai is

Hide contents

destined to kill the one he loves

That's another thing that they rushed was Dany and Jon's relationship.  Contrast that with Jon and Ygritte's and it's not even close.

I know some people so angry that they're refusing to watch the final episode because of what they did to Dany.  Talk about emotionally invested in a show.  Geez.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

That's another thing that they rushed was Dany and Jon's relationship.  Contrast that with Jon and Ygritte's and it's not even close.

I know some people so angry that they're refusing to watch the final episode because of what they did to Dany.  Talk about emotionally invested in a show.  Geez.

Lol.   Angry?  

Thats just dumb 

• Like (+1) 1