Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

3 hours ago, eball said:

Grey Worm - this one makes no sense. He’s going to take a group of infertile guys to Naath to settle. Have fun with that. Yes, it’s curious that he didn’t execute Tyrion and Jon immediately but I suppose even he knows there is some sort of protocol to follow. 

He was fulfilling his promise to his lady. In one of the episodes she talked about how her people aren't fighters and Gray Worm responded that he'd protect them. :beer: 

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, mrags said:

See above. 

And btw. They did reveal the identity of the Night King seasons ago. Nothing more to it because he wasn’t the purpose of the story 

All we got was a dragon glass stabbed first man who turned into the first WW by the children of the forest.  Part of the problem is if he was just one piece of the story we didn’t get a view into his thinking and background as much as we did with the Bolton’s, Lannister’s, Frey’s, Baratheon bros. etc..

Edited by Doc Brown

13 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

All we got was a dragon glass stabbed first man who turned into the first WW by the children of the forest.  Part of the problem is if he was just one piece of the story we didn’t get a view into his thinking and background as much as we did with the Bolton’s, Lannister’s, Frey’s, Baratheon bros. etc..

I think his storyline was pretty clear. He was created by the children of the forest. He wanted to destroy all life. End of story line. 

1 hour ago, Bad Things said:

I forgot about the white horse. Where did she even ride it?  Wasn't she still in Kings Landing?

The more I think about it, the more I think people are correct in calling out the poor writing this season.

That's exactly it. She was surrounded by burned bodies and rubble with a white horse out of no where. Which is crappy, but it appeared to be symbolism and then it just had nothing to do with the last episode. 

I just don't understand the purpose of it. They made it look like something of great magnitude, then it ultimately meant nothing. 

The way they wrote it. I think it would have been better if she crawled out of rubble and somehow struggled her way to Jon and Dany and collapses. 

That makes her lack of anything of note in the last episode more explainable. It was all just mailed in. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

50 minutes ago, mrags said:

I think his storyline was pretty clear. He was created by the children of the forest. He wanted to destroy all life. End of story line. 

Who is the identity of the Night King. Because you seem to be the only person that knows it but you've never said it, unless I missed it.

Is it Bran? You're saying it like it is clear as day yet people who obsess over this show have never suggested as much with as much confidence as you...

Edited by Ol Dirty B

9 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Who is the identity of the Night King. Because you seem to be the only person that knows it but you've never said it, unless I missed it.

Is it Bran? You're saying it like it is clear as day yet people who obsess over this show have ever suggested as much with as much confidence as you...

Reading and looking things up in the internet are hard...

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Night_King

After "Hardhome" aired and Weiss and Benioff first referred to the character as the Night King, Game of Thrones Wiki contacted George R.R. Martin asking how to treat the White Walker referred to as the "Night King" relative to the ancient Lord Commander known as the "Night's King" - if they are the same character, or if "Night's King" is a title that can be held by different characters, like "King in the North." He was also asked if it was significant that Benioff and Weiss refer to him as the "Night King", without a possessive "S". Martin cryptically avoided the first question, but said he prefers the spelling "Night's King": 

"As for the Night's King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have."[21]

8 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/ratings/game-of-thrones-series-finale-draws-19-3-million-viewers-sets-new-series-high-1203220928/

19+ Million watched. A series high, but not even in the top 20 of largest TV finale audiences. 

Is that a record for a subscription network show?  After delayed viewing it will pry be around 50 million people.  

2 hours ago, MichaelAbdallah said:

I agree with all of this. Both the Bran and the Night King storylines were severely lacking in detail and coverage toward the end of the series. My best guess is that this may have been done intentionally in order to set up the prequel, which I assume/hope will address many of the surrounding questions? From a storytelling perspective, I guess the point of the Night King was to rally all of the disparate and antagonistic groups of people in Westeros together and get them on friendly enough terms in order to create a better Westeros post-Cersei and post-Dany. Or something...

Pretty good guess...

Now that ‘Game of Thrones’ is ending, here’s what you need to know about the new prequel series  When does the prequel take place?

According to HBO, and Martin’s personal blog, the events of the prequel show will take place near the end of the Age of Heroes, which was anywhere from 5,000 to 10,000 years before the events of the current “Game of Thrones” series (even Martin says he’s not sure of the exact timeline).

The series will include a period referred to in Martin’s books as The Long Night (hence his nickname for the prequel), which in Westeros mythology was when humans first defeated the White Walkers and built The Wall, the massive glacial structure along the northern border of the Seven Kingdoms.

Where does it take place?

Just like “Game of Thrones,” the prequel will also take place in the fictional land of Westeros. But because the prequel will be set “thousands of years” before the events of the current series, Martin has warned fans they might not recognize the setting.

“Westeros is a very different place. There’s no King’s Landing. There’s no Iron Throne. There are no Targaryens — Valyria has hardly begun to rise yet with its dragons and the great empire that it built,” Martin told Entertainment Weekly in November. “We’re dealing with a different and older world and hopefully that will be part of the fun of the series.”

What will it cover?

HBO isn’t saying much, but the network did release this summary: “Taking place thousands of years before the events of Game of Thrones, the series chronicles the world’s descent from the golden Age of Heroes into its darkest hour. From the horrifying secrets of Westeros’s history to the true origin of the White Walkers, the mysteries of the East to the Starks of legend, only one thing is for sure: It’s not the story we think we know.”

But even that short description does offer some important hints as to what the new series will cover. For instance, viewers should finally get to see exactly how the White Walkers first started building the army of the undead that would eventually march south and attack Winterfell in the final season of “Game of Thrones.”

32 minutes ago, mrags said:

Reading and looking things up in the internet are hard...

https://gameofthrones.fandom.com/wiki/Night_King

After "Hardhome" aired and Weiss and Benioff first referred to the character as the Night King, Game of Thrones Wiki contacted George R.R. Martin asking how to treat the White Walker referred to as the "Night King" relative to the ancient Lord Commander known as the "Night's King" - if they are the same character, or if "Night's King" is a title that can be held by different characters, like "King in the North." He was also asked if it was significant that Benioff and Weiss refer to him as the "Night King", without a possessive "S". Martin cryptically avoided the first question, but said he prefers the spelling "Night's King": 

"As for the Night's King (the form I prefer), in the books he is a legendary figure, akin to Lann the Clever and Brandon the Builder, and no more likely to have survived to the present day than they have."[21]

I could go without the condescension, plus many others speculated otherwise.

It would have been a pleasure to never seen your post.

It also has almost nothing to do with the show which has combined characters. 

But yep, you follow games of thrones more than me. You go on their wiki, I can't read or write, it's magical I made it three paragraphs.

I have British buddies who say this, I'm not big on acronyms, but GFYS.

EDIT- and I don't even think the show will follow the same story arc as the books going forward. They left it open. Maybe you can Google this for me because I'm missing like 3 fingers and can't ***** type. But yet I typed all this. 

Edited by Ol Dirty B

15 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I could go without the condescension, plus many others speculated otherwise.

It would have been a pleasure to never seen your post.

It also has almost nothing to do with the show which has combined characters. 

But yep, you follow games of thrones more than me. You go on their wiki, I can't read or write, it's magical I made it three paragraphs.

I have British buddies who say this, I'm not big on acronyms, but GFYS.

EDIT- and I don't even think the show will follow the same story arc as the books going forward. They left it open. Maybe you can Google this for me because I'm missing like 3 fingers and can't ***** type. But yet I typed all this. 

Just be your best self man. I get it. I know a lot of people that have to have someone tell them something, when they just as easily could have found their answers themselves. That World Wide Web is a damn curse I tell you. 

4 minutes ago, mrags said:

Just be your best self man. I get it. I know a lot of people that have to have someone tell them something, when they just as easily could have found their answers themselves. That World Wide Web is a damn curse I tell you. 

That was an awesome post. It would make sense if we weren't talking about a work of fiction that has clearly deviated from the books and changed things. As what usually happens when making a book into a show or movie.

Or even more rarely gets ahead of the books. But you know, that's all you want to hear.

You know more about game of thrones than me, go market that asset lol.

Edited by Ol Dirty B

5 hours ago, mrags said:

4 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Pretty good guess...

Now that ‘Game of Thrones’ is ending, here’s what you need to know about the new prequel series  When does the prequel take place?

If the prequel series includes the back story of Brandon the Builder, they should cast the guy who played Brandon Stark.  And maybe find a role for Max Von Sydow

4 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

That was an awesome post. It would make sense if we weren't talking about a work of fiction that has clearly deviated from the books and changed things. As what usually happens when making a book into a show or movie.

Or even more rarely gets ahead of the books. But you know, that's all you want to hear.

You know more about game of thrones than me, go market that asset lol.

Well, since we’ve deviated from the books it really doesn’t matter at all. But if you read the entire article, a lot of your questions would be answered. 

“Little is known about his characteristics and traits before becoming the Night King, although he reacted with fear when Leaf plunged a shard of dragonglass into his chest. After becoming the Night King, he became nothing more than an emotionless killer with his only goal appearing to be to kill all in his path and add to his army, staying true to his nature as the first White Walker and being the ultimate embodiment of death.”

again, these are the questions that YOU had. Had YOU went out of your way and searched the internet and actually taken some time to read a little, YOU would have had your questions answered. 

Still cant laugh any harder that your mad at me because you’re too lazy to look up the information yourself. 

Enjoy. 

18 hours ago, Dr Krentist said:

I don't think they ever killed him off. If I remember correctly, the actor became ill or something. I guess they could have replaced him like the Mountain.

I thought the finale was ok. Jon is definitely going to do his own thing. I think Bran sent him to the wall because he knows that's where he'll be the happiest besides Winterfell and to avoid conflict. Jon did seem to crack a slight smile when they were heading north. Nobody is going to enforce any rules Jon breaks and I don't think Greyworm is going to check up on him. Speaking of the Unsullied, won't they eventually die out since they can't reproduce?

The actor who played Ser Ilyn Payne died of cancer.  The show writers decided that rather than replace him, they would just kind of leave his character out for the rest of the series out of respect.

• Like (+1) 1

good ending

overall a show that was able to provide strong female characters that held for seasons, very difficult to do....

glad it ticked off all those who deserved to get ticked off.

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Pretty good guess...

10 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

But even that short description does offer some important hints as to what the new series will cover. For instance, viewers should finally get to see exactly how the White Walkers first started building the army of the undead that would eventually march south and attack Winterfell in the final season of “Game of Thrones.”

Why would anyone be so interested in that? The origin of the Night King and White Walkers was already explained in the show. It'll be fun to see more details, but there's no big mystery to unravel.

I'm much more interested in the stories of the past rulers/knights/heroes, the Targs/Starks, origin of the dragons, and the real mystery is the Lord of Light.