Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

Meh, it was ok. Felt a bit predictable and very much a feel good ending. They still needed longer to set it up and develop what was going on with the characters. I think that would have helped but as they didn't have back story I'm sure they felt like the couldn't do it? So they rushed to get to the points they needed to.

That's my only complaint really. If it could have been built out more and not rushed so much the last 2 seasons I would have been ok with them getting to the point they got to.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Grey Worm is a warrior...he is good at commanding the unsullied

That is about as far as it goes.  He is not used to being in charge.

Someone brought up a good point about that stuff Cercei has buried around the town going off as Drogon laid waste to Kings Landing.....

I actually did not look at it that way before....did doing this actually set it off before the armies rolled though thus limiting their own casualties?

Actually a bad point.   

It was the Mad King that had his pyromancers hide caches of wildfire all over King's Landing

• Like (+1) 1

KING’S LANDING — Emerging market investors in the Free Cities of Essos reacted negatively to the appointment of a drunk, ***** hitman as Master of Coin on Monday, sending yields on the Six Kingdom’s debt up sharply ahead of a crucial Iron Bank mission visit.

• Haha (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

KING’S LANDING — Emerging market investors in the Free Cities of Essos reacted negatively to the appointment of a drunk, ***** hitman as Master of Coin on Monday, sending yields on the Six Kingdom’s debt up sharply ahead of a crucial Iron Bank mission visit.

one of the reasons I dislikes that scene ..  

54 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I guess I view the payoff differently than you do.

The payoff is that only Jon could've dispatched Dany. Only a Targaryen could've gotten past Drogon. Only someone the Queen loved could've gotten close to her without her suspecting something was afoot.  Only Ned Stark's son (true or otherwise) would've been honest enough to confess. Only the King in the North would've evoked such loyalty as to force his own release from prison. Only the man that let the wildlings south of the wall would've been welcomed back through the gates at Castle Black.

The payoff was subtle as opposed to spectacular, but IMO it was there.

It was a fry cry to what they billed him to be.  I mean he was built for this show down with the NK and then just danced around a rock with a dragon until he decided to just give up and let the dragon blast him, but Arya just happens to save the day killing the NK randomly which in turn saved Jon from letting the dead dragon kill him.  I mean this whole season was whack IMO.  The inconsistencies with how the night walkers attacked (swarm whole armies in seconds, but attack one by one when it’s a key character to allow them to survive the scene), etc.  

And anyone could have killed her that was around her, didn’t have to be a Targaryen.  

I had a fun ride with the show, but every episode from the night walker battle to the end as was just a lazy and disappointing series of episodes for me.  Haven’t felt that under whelmed since the ending of LOST.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

I think everybody knew when they sent Jon back to the "Night's Watch" that he was gone.  With no Wildlings and no White Walkers, there's no need for it.  As far as him fathering no children and all the other rules the Watch had... yeah, right.

Question: You think the freefolk formerly known as Wildlings look at Jon as the King Beyond the Wall?

Absolutely! Tormund as much as said it at the celebration after defeating the dead.

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

one of the reasons I dislikes that scene ..  

Fan service.  They were going for humor and Bronn prioritizing the brothels first was funny.  I want Tyrion to finish that damn joke.

The highlight of the episode was when Sam suggested setting up a democracy where the people have a say on who rules and they all just laugh at him.

• Like (+1) 1

The biggest problem with this finale is that they just skipped one of the most important scenes that should of been in it. The aftermath of Jon killing Danny I mean what happened did Jon just confess? Why didn't Danny's forces kill him? Why didn't Jon's forces help him? They skipped everything that would of put that meeting to decide everything in context.

As to who should of ruled it was clearly Jon he was the only one who seemed like he could have a base of power to warrant the other houses following him. I mean I get it being happier for him to be north of the wall, but I always figured that would of been a selfish ending for him. Leaving the 7 kingdoms with a massive power vacuum and an endless war.

Bran does make sense as the best leader for the 7 kingdoms but he doesn't make sense as someone they'd choose to follow. Also so the Unsullied are unwilling for Jon to take the throne and want to kill him but his brother can take it?

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

Fan service.  They were going for humor and Bronn prioritizing the brothels first was funny.  I want Tyrion to finish that damn joke.

The highlight of the episode was when Sam suggested setting up a democracy where the people have a say on who rules and they all just laugh at him.

I get the levity.  I think it was ill timed and ruined the mood.   I don't know why it did ....   it just did.  

Tyrion to Bran ...   We'll do better next time 

Bran  -  I know you will 

4 hours ago, jkeerie said:

That scene wasn't so bad if you placed it in the context of the similar scene in season 2 (or was it 3) when Tywin Lannister was Hand of the king and the small council was gathering and there was that hilarious bit with the chairs and everyone jockeying for position...except Tyrion who noisily dragged a chair to sit as far away from his father as possible.  

In contrast these council members were all friends. 

Yeah, I definitely remember that.

The problem I had was basically with Bronn, who has been a favourite of mine.

Bronn having the role of "Master of Coin" and arguing about funding brothels over ships was just insultingly stupid.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The biggest problem with this finale is that they just skipped one of the most important scenes that should of been in it. The aftermath of Jon killing Danny I mean what happened did Jon just confess? Why didn't Danny's forces kill him? Why didn't Jon's forces help him? They skipped everything that would of put that meeting to decide everything in context.

As to who should of ruled it was clearly Jon he was the only one who seemed like he could have a base of power to warrant the other houses following him. I mean I get it being happier for him to be north of the wall, but I always figured that would of been a selfish ending for him. Leaving the 7 kingdoms with a massive power vacuum and an endless war.

Bran does make sense as the best leader for the 7 kingdoms but he doesn't make sense as someone they'd choose to follow. Also so the Unsullied are unwilling for Jon to take the throne and want to kill him but his brother can take it?

I think the better question to ask is, having seen what Grey Worm was doing to the Lannister soldiers and the look he gave Jon, are we to believe he just let Jon live for 2 weeks while he waited for these Lords, that he had no allegiance to, to decide Jon’s ultimate fate? And that he also let Tyrion live for those 2 weeks considering he was most surely told to execute by his Queen, and then direct who would be the next ruler?

Was Bran actually the correct choice? If we are to believe Tyrion that stories are what unite people was Brans really the best story? One could argue Sansa had the better story. She survived Joffrey, won the Battle of the Bastards, saved Jon snow, avenged herself of Bolton Ramsey and outwit Littlefinger.

1 hour ago, May Day 10 said:

He did that as part of a command from his superior to do everything asked of him in order to maintain his cover.  He needed the wildlings to believe he turned his cloak.  He resisted as long as he could, and (in print form) was extremely conflicted and beat himself up pretty bad... but also really enjoyed the 'company' of a woman.  

Come on. I read it too. He beat himself up but he also gave in and loved her. That’s what made it so good. He wasn’t only undercover. He fell in love. Not just with her but with them. He loved those people. It made for for a great tension. 

20 minutes ago, Wayne Cubed said:

I think the better question to ask is, having seen what Grey Worm was doing to the Lannister soldiers and the look he gave Jon, are we to believe he just let Jon live for 2 weeks while he waited for these Lords, that he had no allegiance to, to decide Jon’s ultimate fate? And that he also let Tyrion live for those 2 weeks considering he was most surely told to execute by his Queen, and then direct who would be the next ruler?

Was Bran actually the correct choice? If we are to believe Tyrion that stories are what unite people was Brans really the best story? One could argue Sansa had the better story. She survived Joffrey, won the Battle of the Bastards, saved Jon snow, avenged herself of Bolton Ramsey and outwit Littlefinger.

Exactly that was in the scene they skipped all we can do is guess how that happened. I mean at best it implied some sort of parity between Danny's forces and Jon's allies that they couldn't just kill him.

He makes sense from our perspective that he has all this wisdom and special powers that mean he could rule well. But from the perspective of the 7 Kingdoms why follow him he's basically sat in a chair the whole season not to mention if the North is independent why the hell shouldn't the rest be.

6 hours ago, ocemur said:

Did I miss something or did Sir Ilyn Payne survive Arya's kill list? I don't remember them ever killing him off.

I don't think they ever killed him off. If I remember correctly, the actor became ill or something. I guess they could have replaced him like the Mountain.

I thought the finale was ok. Jon is definitely going to do his own thing. I think Bran sent him to the wall because he knows that's where he'll be the happiest besides Winterfell and to avoid conflict. Jon did seem to crack a slight smile when they were heading north. Nobody is going to enforce any rules Jon breaks and I don't think Greyworm is going to check up on him. Speaking of the Unsullied, won't they eventually die out since they can't reproduce?

44 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

https://variety.com/2019/tv/ratings/game-of-thrones-series-finale-draws-19-3-million-viewers-sets-new-series-high-1203220928/

19+ Million watched. A series high, but not even in the top 20 of largest TV finale audiences. 

do you have the list of the top 20 largest TV finale audiences?

Is that number on raw viewers or percentage of the audience?  10 million viewers twenty years ago would be a higher audience share than 19 million today

How many of the top 20 are broadcast series?  basic cable?  pay cable?

43 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

do you have the list of the top 20 largest TV finale audiences?

Is that number on raw viewers or percentage of the audience?  10 million viewers twenty years ago would be a higher audience share than 19 million today

How many of the top 20 are broadcast series?  basic cable?  pay cable?

I’d guess most were through “free” TV...

Read an interesting analysis that talked about how Martin told the story from a sociological perspective rather than a psychological perspective like most tv writers do. That's why the story was bigger than any of the characters and could survive the loss of important and beloved characters, such as Ned Stark, Catelyn and Rob etc. 

Tv writers, after the books guidance ended, focused on the characters the audience were attached to and it became more like a soap opera about them. The overall storytelling suffered because of it.       The author of this analysis felt that it was the sociological style of storytelling by Martin that hooked so many people into Thrones to begin with. When they went beyond the books the writers defaulted back to the more common tv method of character development making the show less unique and more like everyday television.

I actually didn't have time to read the whole thing and I am not sure how well I summarised. Here is the article.

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/observations/the-real-reason-fans-hate-the-last-season-of-game-of-thrones/?redirect=1

• Like (+1) 2

Highest single night viewing in HBO history. Pretty incredible number of 19 million for a premium network with ~44M expected to view it this week. 

Cheers, Mash etc were in an era when you had to watch live or miss it, and there was not much competition. 

Kudos to good art. 

19 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Highest single night viewing in HBO history. Pretty incredible number of 19 million for a premium network with ~44M expected to view it this week. 

Cheers, Mash etc were in an era when you had to watch live or miss it, and there was not much competition. 

Kudos to good art. 

Congrats HBO.

As for me,  I have the 6 episodes on my DVR & I canceled HBO early this morning. :thumbsup: