Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

9 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Echoing what May Day said above: Jon confessed, per his code of honor. 

Me, I would have freed Tyrion and booked it. 

Code of honor ?

Jon Snow could've continued tapping his Queen .. He could've gone on tapping her and keeping her under control and ruled the realm. Instead he decided to be a moron and killed her mid kiss ... moron.

Jon Barleysnow must die.

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

Code of honor ?

Jon Snow could've continued tapping his Queen .. He could've gone on tapping her and keeping her under control and ruled the realm. Instead he decided to be a moron and killed her mid kiss ... moron.

Jon Barleysnow must die.

Is there a GoT forum for pimply faced teenagers you can add your juvenile comments to?

• Haha (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, Rico said:

Just goes to show yet again that, no matter how far TV shows have come along over time, they are still inferior in general to movies books.

A series can go far deeper than a 1-1/2-2 hour movie can.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SDS said:

Is there a GoT forum for pimply faced teenagers you can add your juvenile comments to?

Sorry ... I'm just having fun with this.

I guess we just don't agree on the outcome of this and that's ok.

Its been 40 years since I was a pimply faced teenager and maybe my humor doesn't match yours. Again no problem. I'll reel it in.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Rico said:

Just goes to show yet again that, no matter how far TV shows have come along over time, they are still inferior in general to movies.

Not sure I agree. Just different mediums. You can do a much deeper character dive on TV. The evolution of Tyrion or Jaime would not have been as touching in a trilogy of movies.  Or would we have had the chance to get to know so many characters. Ned Stark would have been on the cutting room floor or just part of a brief flashback in a trilogy. Instead we got to see him for a whole season and he cast a shadow over the remaining 7. 

Martin needs to finish off the next 2, then hand out some outlines and license GoT in all mediums. It’s probably not got the legs of Star Wars just because there are more fantasy tales out now than there were sci/funny in 1977, but it’s got legs for more than HBO series. 

Good thing Arya became a Faceless Man - she sure used that ability a lot in the series.  She became No One, only to come back and be a Stark (and now she's off to be Columbus), WTF? ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Yeah but Ygritte is gone and he can't take a woman.  Maybe he violates that by going beyond the wall, I don't know.  But he didn't seem happy about it when they mentioned it to him. 

His vows didn’t stop him with Ygritte. He’ll find a Northern girl with a way of kissing to keep him warm at night. 

Edited by BeginnersMind
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Heitz said:

Good thing Arya became a Faceless Man - she sure used that ability a lot in the series.  She became No One, only to come back and be a Stark (and now she's off to be Columbus), WTF? ?

She used her faces perfectly to kill Walder Frey. She used her stealth several times. And her fighting skills saved the world when she killed the Night King. How much more can one character of many do without making the entire story about her?

She is a Stark. That was one of her defining characteristics, but she was as she said, not a lady. Whatever she was going to do next, it was not going to be sitting around helping build Bran’s Utopia. She followed a good arc, maybe the most fulfilling besides Sansa. . 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

He knew that other people knew; the chance that somehow Dany would find out in the future meant that he had to say something. Better for her to find out from him.

Plus, he probably didn't want to continue sleeping with his aunt; gotta say something other than "yeah, I'm just not feelin' it".

Wait, so Jon uniting the wildlings and Night's Watch, taking back Winterfell, uniting Dany's armies with the North to fight the Night King, and being literally the only person alive that Drogon would've allowed close to Dany for the killing stroke mean nothing?

I'm not saying this was master-level story-telling, but come on.

The issue is you seem to be confusing build up with payoff.  

You just listed how they built him up...

3 hours ago, SDS said:

The prisoner of war should have had final say on his punishment? Got it. :rolleyes:

I get your point, but Tyrion basically chose the King.  He was wearing shackles.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Echoing what May Day said above: Jon confessed, per his code of honor. 

Me, I would have freed Tyrion and booked it. 

That would have made for a good start to Season 9.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

The issue is you seem to be confusing build up with payoff.  

You just listed how they built him up...

I guess I view the payoff differently than you do.

The payoff is that only Jon could've dispatched Dany. Only a Targaryen could've gotten past Drogon. Only someone the Queen loved could've gotten close to her without her suspecting something was afoot.  Only Ned Stark's son (true or otherwise) would've been honest enough to confess. Only the King in the North would've evoked such loyalty as to force his own release from prison. Only the man that let the wildlings south of the wall would've been welcomed back through the gates at Castle Black.

The payoff was subtle as opposed to spectacular, but IMO it was there.

• Like (+1) 3

17 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

His vows didn’t stop him with Ygritte. He’ll find a Northern girl with a way of kissing to keep him warm at night. 

He did that as part of a command from his superior to do everything asked of him in order to maintain his cover.  He needed the wildlings to believe he turned his cloak.  He resisted as long as he could, and (in print form) was extremely conflicted and beat himself up pretty bad... but also really enjoyed the 'company' of a woman.  

I wouldn't be shocked for him to rigidly maintain his vow and not reproduce.

25 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Not sure I agree. Just different mediums. You can do a much deeper character dive on TV. The evolution of Tyrion or Jaime would not have been as touching in a trilogy of movies.  Or would we have had the chance to get to know so many characters. Ned Stark would have been on the cutting room floor or just part of a brief flashback in a trilogy. Instead we got to see him for a whole season and he cast a shadow over the remaining 7. 

Martin needs to finish off the next 2, then hand out some outlines and license GoT in all mediums. It’s probably not got the legs of Star Wars just because there are more fantasy tales out now than there were sci/funny in 1977, but it’s got legs for more than HBO series. 

IMO you really can't judge a 2 or 3 hour movie and a 100 hour series.  

And neither of them can compare to BOOKS 

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

He did that as part of a command from his superior to do everything asked of him in order to maintain his cover.  He needed the wildlings to believe he turned his cloak.  He resisted as long as he could, and (in print form) was extremely conflicted and beat himself up pretty bad... but also really enjoyed the 'company' of a woman.  

I wouldn't be shocked for him to rigidly maintain his vow and not reproduce.

Why wouldn't Sansa tell him he was free to break a Vow for a useless Nights Watch? 

The Wall is part of the North.   The North wants no part of a southern King or queen

And who the hell said Bran was impotent?   Just because you can't walk  doesn't mean all your parts are broken 

10 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

All he did was talk, which was always his way of leading. But he didn’t choose. 

The point is they ALLOWED him to talk.  The issue was whether a prisoner of war would be permitted to choose his punishment .  Grey Worm started by telling him to shut up and telling the Council that Tyrion was his prisoner.  Then he backed off and let Tyrion spout off. 

4 minutes ago, snafu said:

The point is they ALLOWED him to talk.  The issue was whether a prisoner of war would be permitted to choose his punishment .  Grey Worm started by telling him to shut up and telling the Council that Tyrion was his prisoner.  Then he backed off and let Tyrion spout off. 

Grey Worm is a warrior...he is good at commanding the unsullied

That is about as far as it goes.  He is not used to being in charge.

Someone brought up a good point about that stuff Cercei has buried around the town going off as Drogon laid waste to Kings Landing.....

I actually did not look at it that way before....did doing this actually set it off before the armies rolled though thus limiting their own casualties?