Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

It seems to me that D&D and maybe GRRM were pissed that people figured-out Jon Snow's secret and deliberately screwed him over, as has been his lot in life.  I thought he deserved much better and was wondering WTF the Dothraki and Unsullied were to have any say, considering the genocide they committed. 

That was perhaps the happiest conclusion for Jon Snow.  He seemed to be the happiest with Ygritte and beyond the wall (other than tweaking out about his honor).  He didn't want to lead, he stated it multiple times.  He would have been miserable as King or King in the North.

As far as the Dothraki and Unsullied.  They had numbers and were threatening war, which gives them say.  Both groups are fierce warriors and the 7 Kingdoms was probably left with the dregs of fighting men.  

10 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

D&D said HBO offered them a blank check for as many episodes they needed to finish the series. They wanted 6.

Yeah, a real disappointment. D&D wanted to go work on Star Wars and were just done with GOT. Quite sad they invested 8 years just to have that happen. 

1 hour ago, Awwufelloff said:

It was indeed the most important story line of the entire show. R + L= J. But John never wanted the Iron Throne, he never had a desire to be king. So even though you are the "rightful" heir to the throne, you also have to want to rule. John was happiest north of the wall with the free folk and Ygritte as we saw in the earlier seasons. He is a truth Northman. I loved the ending with him, tormund, and ghost going back to the northlands where there is no ruler and they don't answer to no king. He is free and happy with his buddy by his side. 

Agreed. I liked his ending.  My issue is no one spoke up about it during the discussion about who should be King.  The ball should have been in John's court to say no and go North.  Not being sent there as a prisoner.   Regardless, his ending was apt.   I was very happy when the door opened and Giantsbane was standing there.

• Like (+1) 1

I was annoyed a little when the council or whatever they are called, were talking at the end, and someone kept interrupting right when it seemed like they were going to reveal something.  I'm guessing the writers didn't know what to say about whatever they were talking about?  I'll have to re-watch it again to see if I can figure it out.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Agreed. I liked his ending.  My issue is no one spoke up about it during the discussion about who should be King.  The ball should have been in John's court to say no and go North.  Not being sent there as a prisoner.   Regardless, his ending was apt.   I was very happy when the door opened and Giantsbane was standing there.

The prisoner of war should have had final say on his punishment? Got it. :rolleyes:

43 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

That was perhaps the happiest conclusion for Jon Snow.  He seemed to be the happiest with Ygritte and beyond the wall (other than tweaking out about his honor).  He didn't want to lead, he stated it multiple times.  He would have been miserable as King or King in the North.

As far as the Dothraki and Unsullied.  They had numbers and were threatening war, which gives them say.  Both groups are fierce warriors and the 7 Kingdoms was probably left with the dregs of fighting men.  

Yeah but Ygritte is gone and he can't take a woman.  Maybe he violates that by going beyond the wall, I don't know.  But he didn't seem happy about it when they mentioned it to him. 

And while they have numbers, there was a reason that they didn't kill Jon, Tyrion and anyone else they could find after Jon killed Dany. 

3 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I thought people hated the Sopranos ending?

People hate ALL endings right after it airs. Its only after a few years of cooling of and reflecting do folks realize how decent they were. Same will happen for anyone complaining about last night's episode.

It was good. As good as could be expected. They wrapped it all up nicely and the Starks "won" on all fronts. Ned would be proud. What more can anyone ask for?

• Like (+1) 4

So many whiny babies about a great show because it didn't have the perfect ending that THEY wanted.  Or because the creators didn't want to spend the next 5 years of their lives flushing out every story line perfectly.  My lord folks.  It's a show and it was great.  The only problem with it was the crazy expectations you all created for it in your minds.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, Doc said:

Yeah but Ygritte is gone and he can't take a woman.  Maybe he violates that by going beyond the wall, I don't know.  But he didn't seem happy about it when they mentioned it to him. 

And while they have numbers, there was a reason that they didn't kill Jon, Tyrion and anyone else they could find after Jon killed Dany. 

He absolutely violated his punishment.  Most people didn't believe there were WW's, so Castle Black has always been a place for castaways and criminals, it's like a prison.  That's why JS wasn't happy about it.  But it turns out being maybe the best for him, to his surprise the Wildlings are there.  Now he'll start a new life beyond the wall and without the threat of the WW's. 

Edited by ricojes

9 hours ago, SDS said:

So, the writers are crap, but you loved the first 5-6 seasons? Got it. :rolleyes:

Martin had years to flesh out HIS story. He didn't. The blame lies with him.

Weird how since April of this year, so many people got their degrees in literary arts and became writing experts.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

So many whiny babies about a great show because it didn't have the perfect ending that THEY wanted.  Or because the creators didn't want to spend the next 5 years of their lives flushing out every story line perfectly.  My lord folks.  It's a show and it was great.  The only problem with it was the crazy expectations you all created for it in your minds.

I see the reason for complaints, and I don't think it crazy expectations.  You invest 8 years in these characters and the final season just seemed rushed.  I didn't think the finally was horrible, but I didn't think it was great either.  It would have been a very good ending of a season, but not for a finale.

5 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Yeah... it certainly wasn't a great ending, but I'll take it.

This series deserved a LOT better.

I will say that the scene with the "small council meeting" with Bronn was cringe inducing.

That scene wasn't so bad if you placed it in the context of the similar scene in season 2 (or was it 3) when Tywin Lannister was Hand of the king and the small council was gathering and there was that hilarious bit with the chairs and everyone jockeying for position...except Tyrion who noisily dragged a chair to sit as far away from his father as possible.  

In contrast these council members were all friends. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

-what was the point of the tower of joy John Snow is a Targaryen angle?  Sam thought it important enough to tell John but as he is sitting there trying to decide a king he fails to mention they have the true king locked up?  And after all that Aegon build up he continues being John Snow? It was maybe the most important storyline in the show and at the end seemed pointless

-What the hell does a three eyed raven even do?  And why was the Night King trying so hard to kill him?

Not only Sam, but Bran and Sansa and Arya. They were sitting there and they all knew. 

And shouldn't a three eyed Raven live up North, where Wierwood trees grow?  

That episode made no sense to me. Early on they show Greyworm slicing the throats of the Queens enemies, the Lannister army. Then Jon Snow kills the Queen and Tyrian betrayed her and these loyal followers of hers the Dothraki and the Unsullied hold them as prisoners... Really ? ... Tyrians, head should've been on a stake and Jon Snow should've been a mid day snack for Drogon.

Then they make Bran the weird ruler of 6 kingdoms. Outside of being pushed off a tower for being a peeping Tom and being used as bait so Arya could kill the night king, what did he do ?

Why was Sansa allowed to exclude the north from the other kingdoms without any protest from anyone else ?

I can't blame everyone, myself included, from laughing at Sam's idea of allowing everyone to vote. The Russians would've just influenced the vote and nobody from Westeros would've had the balls to stand up to them.

Last but not least I blame Hodor for the bad ending. If he had just left Bran the weird in the snow or pushed him off a cliff seasons ago the ending would've been better. I knew I should've been rooting for the Night King and his army of undead to win the great battle.

41 minutes ago, HeHateMe said:

I thought people hated the Sopranos ending?

Some do. Not me. I think that type of meta ending was awesome; I can get why people hated it. Better than a stupid montage ending though.

2 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

It was indeed the most important story line of the entire show. R + L= J. But John never wanted the Iron Throne, he never had a desire to be king. So even though you are the "rightful" heir to the throne, you also have to want to rule. John was happiest north of the wall with the free folk and Ygritte as we saw in the earlier seasons. He is a truth Northman. I loved the ending with him, tormund, and ghost going back to the northlands where there is no ruler and they don't answer to no king. He is free and happy with his buddy by his side. 

Which is why, other than killing a women he loved, I was glad to see him with the Free Folk.

There may not be a "King" beyond the wall but there is a "leader" beyond the wall.  

• Like (+1) 1

Jon Snow is a total idiot and loser. If he didn’t want the throne, he should’ve just STFU and not told anyone. Good chance Dany doesn’t turn, he could’ve lived happily ever after with her. I hope the chump enjoys those cold winter nights with Tormund. :doh:

• Like (+1) 2