Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

7 minutes ago, teef said:

Kind of how I though this may play out. Certainly not the greatest series finale ever, but it certainly wasn’t as terrible as some are making it out to be. 

Some people this show is all they ever knew. ;)

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

-It's likely Dany doesn't go mad if she thinks Jon's just some bastard from Winterfell who would make a great husband when she's queen.  He had the more legitimate claim to the throne and she didn't take it so well.  Jon (against his moral code) killed Dany.  Her followers (the Dothraki and Unsullied) were unhappy so there's no way he could've taken the iron throne without another war breaking out.  I think the show also wanted to change how a king is chosen as the lineage of succession has led to constant conflict.  Having a panel choose a king/queen is essentially breaking the wheel  .One step closer to a democracy despite Sam being laughed at.

-As far as the Night King and the three eyed raven, I think the whole point of him was for people to buy GRRM's books if he ever finishes them.  Their POV chapters will be fascinating.  The endgame for the Night King and the WW's was apparently an endless night.  Whatever the hell that means.

The final third part of this episode felt like the ends of Lord of the Rings/Harry Potter to me and pry would've worked better in a movie.

Agree on the first bit.  I was happy where John ended up.  My issue was the way the John being a Targaryen thing was hyped and basically flickered out at the end of the show.   I dont think he would have taken the throne but to not have it discussed was odd.  

18 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I think the show also wanted to change how a king is chosen as the lineage of succession has led to constant conflict.  Having a panel choose a king/queen is essentially breaking the wheel  .One step closer to a democracy despite Sam being laughed at.

Actually, the history of Westeros showed that the 7 kingdoms were at constant war until the Targaryans united them all, through conquest, which resulted in a thousand years of peace.

They've reverted back to pre-Targaryen where a handful of houses will constantly declare themselves the next "rightful" ruler. Will the houses take turns? Will a Stark ever be allowed to hold the throne again, since they are not part of the 6 kingdoms? Will the Greyjoys force another conflict to retake the North?

Also, how do they pass on the mantle of three-eyed raven? Test every boy, or will Bran choose his successor? Will the houses then approve his choice?

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

OK a couple of things

- John Snow gave Dany EVERY CHANCE to give him a morsel of hope that she understood what he was trying to say......when she said "they dont have a choice" I think that was the final straw.

- Why did Drogon not torch John Snow....is it because he was a Targaryn

- I always get very sad at the end of these no matter how poorly they are done.....felt the same way on Battlestar Galactica....felt the same way on Falling Skies..I imagine the Walking Dead is next.

This ^ 

The show was proceeding as I expected until the aftermath of when Jon killed Dany.  

Bran the Cripple as king?  Not one I would have thought up.  Kudos' to those who thought it.  

What really disappointed me was the the meeting at the table with Bronn.   I though it was (a little humorous but) just stupid. 

Why did they need a Nights Watch? 

Sansa got to be queen of the North,  Arya went on a Walkabout, and Jon became King Beyond the Wall. 

32 minutes ago, teef said:

Kind of how I though this may play out. Certainly not the greatest series finale ever, but it certainly wasn’t as terrible as some are making it out to be. 

my first vent was that I was only about the one scene at the table.   I wanted time to not overreach,  

8 hours ago, SDS said:

As I said somewhere, to someone, earlier - D&D are not Martin. It's not their story and I don't blame them for not being as good as Martin in telling HIS story. People maybe be angry at them or HBO, but in the end - Martin failed to finish his own story. He's to blame if people are disappointed in the last few seasons. 

Agreed. 

Hell, I may wait a year after (IF EVER) he publishes a book to read it / them.  

Well, since I tried to go into this with low expectations, I'm not so disappointed. The Starks win the championship! (Say that 3 and 1/2 times).

Despite being the obvious choice, I did not foresee Bran's crowning moment coming. I made a comment to my wife in the middle of last night's finale, it would be funny as hell if Bronn won.... I told her last week that Jon would probably end up in the North because there would be nothing left for him if/when Dany died. The endings for Arya and Sansa were appropriate, as was the final shot of Jon and the Wildings heading into the true north. 

Moral of the story: no matter how many times or how often you've been beaten down, the good people in the north (Buffalo) will win someday...

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

To recap, this series went downhill once the show surpassed the books. The final season felt incredibly rushed and the final episode was full blown AIDS. 

I mean, I agree, but there are better ways to describe something bad. This isn’t reddit you don’t need to call things AIDS

9 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

OK a couple of things

- John Snow gave Dany EVERY CHANCE to give him a morsel of hope that she understood what he was trying to say......when she said "they dont have a choice" I think that was the final straw.

- Why did Drogon not torch John Snow....is it because he was a Targaryn

I think Drogon knew she was corrupted by the throne and that's why he melted it. He knew Jon didn't want to do it, but did what he had to. Also, flying east. Maybe back to Valyria?

32 minutes ago, TPS said:

Well, since I tried to go into this with low expectations, I'm not so disappointed. The Starks win the championship! (Say that 3 and 1/2 times).

Despite being the obvious choice, I did not foresee Bran's crowning moment coming. I made a comment to my wife in the middle of last night's finale, it would be funny as hell if Bronn won.... I told her last week that Jon would probably end up in the North because there would be nothing left for him if/when Dany died. The endings for Arya and Sansa were appropriate, as was the final shot of Jon and the Wildings heading into the true north. 

Moral of the story: no matter how many times or how often you've been beaten down, the good people in the north (Buffalo) will win someday...

When Dany gave her speech to the army at the end, I thought the moral was,  "Power tends to corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely."

7 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

When Dany gave her speech to the army at the end, I thought the moral was,  "Power tends to corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely."

I was trying to stay with my sports metaphor/cliche (as opposed to the producers') and relate it to my adopted city...

Edited by TPS

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Not angry about the ending but feel like the show needed more seasons.  It was however bad in a few areas

-what was the point of the tower of joy John Snow is a Targaryen angle?  Sam thought it important enough to tell John but as he is sitting there trying to decide a king he fails to mention they have the true king locked up?  And after all that Aegon build up he continues being John Snow? It was maybe the most important storyline in the show and at the end seemed pointless

-What the hell does a three eyed raven even do?  And why was the Night King trying so hard to kill him?

-why were the Walkers trying to kill humans so badly?  What was their endgame?

-the nobles had option beyond option fora King and they were super blown away by Tyrions choice because Bran "told good stories" lots of self importance by the collective writers there.

Loved the show but man did this season feel rushed.  It almost felt like they abandoned really important story lines just to get to the ending.  

It was indeed the most important story line of the entire show. R + L= J. But John never wanted the Iron Throne, he never had a desire to be king. So even though you are the "rightful" heir to the throne, you also have to want to rule. John was happiest north of the wall with the free folk and Ygritte as we saw in the earlier seasons. He is a truth Northman. I loved the ending with him, tormund, and ghost going back to the northlands where there is no ruler and they don't answer to no king. He is free and happy with his buddy by his side. 

Edited by Awwufelloff
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BeginnersMind said:

It was fine. The story had to end. Martin, if he ever writes the books, will do a better job setting up Brann. 

Agree. The books are always better then the show. The Martian, World war Z, GOT, etc... I'm almost done with book 3 and they have so much detail and character development compared to the show. It's impossible to convey everything in the show with limited seasons. It needed at least another 4-5 more episodes for more with the Night King, Dany going mad queen, and anything with Bran. 

It seems to me that D&D and maybe GRRM were pissed that people figured-out Jon Snow's secret and deliberately screwed him over, as has been his lot in life.  I thought he deserved much better and was wondering WTF the Dothraki and Unsullied were to have any say, considering the genocide they committed. 

10 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

Agree. The books are always better then the show. The Martian, World war Z, GOT, etc... I'm almost done with book 3 and they have so much detail and character development compared to the show. It's impossible to convey everything in the show with limited seasons. It needed at least another 4-5 more episodes for more with the Night King, Dany going mad queen, and anything with Bran. 

D&D said HBO offered them a blank check for as many episodes they needed to finish the series. They wanted 6.

Edited by Bangarang