Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

I rewatched the last episode last night and it still made no sense to me. I have never read the books and only started watching GOT about a year ago. I really have no attachment to any particular ending for any of the characters. I just do not understand why Dany would take out her rage on the women and children of Kings Landing and not on Cersei and the Red Keep. Cersei had Dany's best friend beheaded in front of her. Dany takes that out on the citizens and lets Cersei go? If the exits had not been blocked Jaime and Cersei might have escaped while Dany is busy murdering innocent civilians? She destroys half the buildings in Kings Landing while Cersei watches but not the Red Keep tower that Cersei is in? She knows Cersei could care less about her subjects so it is not some twisted way of punishing her. Made absolutely no sense and it is a ridiculous way to finish such an epic story that has been developing for over 8 years imo. I will watch the ending but that last episode was so stupid it has definitely lessened my interest.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I rewatched the last episode last night and it still made no sense to me. I have never read the books and only started watching GOT about a year ago. I really have no attachment to any particular ending for any of the characters. I just do not understand why Dany would take out her rage on the women and children of Kings Landing and not on Cersei and the Red Keep. Cersei had Dany's best friend beheaded in front of her. Dany takes that out on the citizens and lets Cersei go? If the exits had not been blocked Jaime and Cersei might have escaped while Dany is busy murdering innocent civilians? She destroys half the buildings in Kings Landing while Cersei watches but not the Red Keep tower that Cersei is in? She knows Cersei could care less about her subjects so it is not some twisted way of punishing her. Made absolutely no sense and it is a ridiculous way to finish such an epic story that has been developing for over 8 years imo. I will watch the ending but that last episode was so stupid it has definitely lessened my interest.

Dany understands that a ruler has two options: love and fear

Dany knows Sansa (and thus the North) will never love her
Dany lost her Friendsville love (Jorrah)

Dany lost her BFF (Missandei)

Dany lost the love of her loyal advisors (Tyrion and Varys)

Dany's romantic love was rejected by Jon

Dany sees how the people love Jon, who already has a stronger claim to the throne

Dany isn't going to waste any more of her time trying to be loved

Let it be fear

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Dany sees how the people love Jon, who already has a stronger claim to the throne

Let it be fear

I get all that, they made that clear in the scene of Jon rejecting her. It doesn't explain her letting Cersei go and almost escape while she is busy murdering civilians though. That was stupid, would have made much more sense for her to burn Cersei alive in the tower. 

42 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I get all that, they made that clear in the scene of Jon rejecting her. It doesn't explain her letting Cersei go and almost escape while she is busy murdering civilians though. That was stupid, would have made much more sense for her to burn Cersei alive in the tower. 

More sense and more satisfying to the viewers.

Edited by Cripple Creek
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

Let it be fear

ZKY5k8Z.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Maybe she wanted Cersei to suffer at the sight of the total destruction of King’s Landing before zeroing in on the Red Keep? And she certainly got around to the Red Keep. And it’s not like this was the first time she chose fear over love. 

As to what if the exits weren’t blocked and she and Jaime might have escaped otherwise?  There is just no need to overthink it to that extent. 

4 hours ago, Turk71 said:

Then you get complaints that was the predictable thing to do and unbecombing for GOT.  The symbolism of her dying under the collapse of the Red Keep after allienating all her allies by making horrible decisions somewhat worked for me although I admit I would've liked to see her suffer more.  I just wasn't crazy about Jaime being there to comfort her (even though it somewhat fulfilled the prophecy) as I was hoping he developed the backbone to turn away from his true love.  Also, it's silly that Dany didn't execute Jaime but did Varys.

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Then you get complaints that was the predictable thing to do and unbecombing for GOT.  The symbolism of her dying under the collapse of the Red Keep after allienating all her allies by making horrible decisions somewhat worked for me although I admit I would've liked to see her suffer more.  I just wasn't crazy about Jaime being there to comfort her (even though it somewhat fulfilled the prophecy) as I was hoping he developed the backbone to turn away from his true love.  Also, it's silly that Dany didn't execute Jaime but did Varys.

Sometimes somewhat predictable is better than the nonsensical and ridiculous. The idea that she would look at the Red Keep and then decide to instead fry the innocent civilians while Cersei attempts her unsuccessful escape is laughable, even accepting her turn to madness imo.

1 hour ago, Turk71 said:

Sometimes somewhat predictable is better than the nonsensical and ridiculous. The idea that she would look at the Red Keep and then decide to instead fry the innocent civilians while Cersei attempts her unsuccessful escape is laughable, even accepting her turn to madness imo.

Or.....she wanted to taunt Cersei and give her the time to realize what's about to happen to her.  There's a tacticle case you could make for Dany could make to burn down the city without her even going mad.  With Jon as the rightful heir her using her dragon to "conquer" Westeros makes her the queen out of fear.  Especially with Rhaegar dead.  Word would spread throughout the seven kingdoms that there's a new sherrif in town and they would show fealty or die.  However, the close up of her face clearly showed she went mad so I doubt it was a tacticle decision.  Dany's POV chapters in the final two books will be interesting.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Also, it's silly that Dany didn't execute Jaime but did Varys.

Regarding Jaime, Dany was outvoted by Jon and Sansa.  And before you argue that she could have just went full Mad Queen and overruled them, she still needed The North but had not yet solidified her position

Dany had warned Varys in S7 not to betray her and was quite clear what the consequences would be

19 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Regarding Jaime, Dany was outvoted by Jon and Sansa.  And before you argue that she could have just went full Mad Queen and overruled them, she still needed The North but had not yet solidified her position

Dany had warned Varys in S7 not to betray her and was quite clear what the consequences would be

True, but Jaime's two biggest allies were Tyrion and Brienne who vouched for Jaime.  I don't think Jon or Sansa give a damn about him.  He's the guy who nearly killed their father/uncle in the streets of King's Landing.  Sansa in particular would be furious of what Jaime did to Brienne.  I just think D&D needed Jaime to escape to find his way to Cersei.

11 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Let it be fear

Sounds like another mad woman that has no regard for common folk and who lusts for power. The supporters of those mad women seem to think and behave alike too. They’re heavily invested in fantasy. 

There is a theory article stating that Bran warged into Dany's dragon just after the bell rang and Bran caused the carnage not Dany.  The theory states Bran has been evil since he was touched by the Night King in his vision.   Not sure why the Night King would turn him evil and then attempt to kill him, unless he wasnt trying to kill him, who knows.

Bottom line is virtually everyone watching this thing is going to be upset in some way. 

• Like (+1) 1

I think you guys are overthinking this whole thing. We've watched this show for years and seen the world from King's Landing to Winterfell, from Dorne to North of the Wall and from the Vale to Lannisport and everything in between. Not once have you seen Midol or chocolate.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

There is a theory article stating that Bran warged into Dany's dragon just after the bell rang and Bran caused the carnage not Dany.  The theory states Bran has been evil since he was touched by the Night King in his vision.   Not sure why the Night King would turn him evil and then attempt to kill him, unless he wasnt trying to kill him, who knows.

Bottom line is virtually everyone watching this thing is going to be upset in some way. 

Theory I saw posited that the Three-Eyed Raven is actually the ultimate evil.