Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

4 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I also wonder if the letters Varys wrote before he executed made it to Dorne, the Vale, Storm's End (if Gendry's there), or Highgarden (if Bronn's there). 

Or maybe Castle Black, to Tormund and the Free Folk

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Or maybe Castle Black, to Tormund and the Free Folk

As a wildling, Tormund isn't much for adhering to monarchy rules of succession.  More of a chance he sprints to Winterfell to have rebound sex with Brianne.

If Dany does call all the major Houses in the seven kingdoms to bow before their new queen, it will be very interesting to see who succumbs and who doesn't.  It's also a way to get Sansa, Sam, Bronn, King  Robert (who we haven't seen since season six?), and whoever is the head of Dorne now to be in one place when s**t goes down.

Edited by Doc Brown

9 hours ago, eball said:

Fair enough, I suppose, but I saw the how. I saw Dany evolve through her actions and reactions to what happened around her. If anyone who watches the show religiously didn’t think the burning of King’s Landing was more likely than not I’m surprised. 

I don't think anyone is saying that the burning of King's Landing wasn't likely. It wasn't a surprise as such. It was that they chose to get Dany to that point that she would do something like that. Yes, events happened that one would think would drive someone to possibly do what she did. The problem, for me, is they only showed the events, they haven't shown Dany's reaction and how's she's had to deal with these loses. One shot of her without makeup, isn't enough. And that's the problem, in previous seasons with the time to develop, you would see these emotions from these characters you understood their actions.

Take for example Theon Greyjoy and the amount of time and effort the show put into establishing his psychological break down. The entirety of Season 2/3/4 was just that and getting you the viewer to understood his decent into this person called Reek. And from there on out you understood why he made the decisions he did and had turned into the person he was.

Yes, there were signs that Dany could do something like what she did but she had always fought those thoughts, hints of it. For me, I just wanted this decent into the Mad Queen and her struggle with deciding to do what she did to be a bigger part of the show. Those kind of character developments have always been what's made Game of Thrones great. I'd honestly rather have had less of the battle scenes and more of the character developments these past 2 seasons.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Perhaps you think that conquerer's of a time such as when Game of Thrones should be nice political types.

She did some bad *****.....she also showed a heart along the way.   I would follow her because she is not weak sauce (although i might give her a funny look if I was a Dothroaki charging into the enormous army of the undead)

Slavers should be slaughtered

Examples were made by crucificition rememeber she is changing the tone and didnt want slavers coming up behind her changing what she fixed

Her listening to her hand at times caused more problems then it solved

I really think that burning kings landing was NOT the plan all along....I think she was prodded into it by a cumulation of things.

You miss my point. Do I disagree with Danny's actions? Not necessarily. But do I think it's a surprise that she showed extreme cruelty with malice in this episode? Based on what I said above, no. My point was she's always been like this, and had no issue with killing people we might think of as "innocent" very early in the show. 

10 hours ago, SDS said:

Shouldn’t you blame Martin for this? Afterall, it seems you are asking the showrunners to be as skilled as telling the story as Martin. 

They are wrapping things sooner than would be ideal, but maybe these people want to get on with their lives.

If they made four more episodes, we would probably have had to wait another 5 months to even begin the season. 8 or 9 months if you wanted 10 from season 7. 

I was thinking about this the other day given all the discussion about the pacing.  These guys have been doing this for 10 years, and I'm sure they hope to do something else in their careers, rather than one hit wonders....

3 hours ago, Nanker said:

Three and a half Starks remaining - Sansa, Arya, Bran, and Jon. 

One and a half Targarians remaining - Dany, and Jon. 

One Lannister remains - Tyrion. 

Will the last Lannister pay the family’s debt to the Iron Bank of Bravos?

Not to nit pick....  

Bran says he's not a Stark any longer.   Two and a half Starks and a Three Eyed Raven.  

The family’s debt to the Iron Bank of Bravos was paid in full when they took over Highgarden and Jamie gave Olenna the poison. 

1 hour ago, Doc Brown said:

Tyrion will pry die and Bronn will somehow get stuck with it.  "This f****** family."

Honestly, I don't see how Bronn can do anything of importance in the finale.  

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Not to nit pick....  

Bran says he's not a Stark any longer.   Two and a half Starks and a Three Eyed Raven.  

The family’s debt to the Iron Bank of Bravos was paid in full when they took over Highgarden and Jamie gave Olenna the poison. 

One could also make a case that there is only one half of a Lannister left as well. 

You forget that Cersei borrowed yet again from the Iron Bank to buy the services of Harry Strickland and the Golden Company. The iron Bank will have it’s due. 

Edited by Nanker

11 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Honestly, I don't see how Bronn can do anything of importance in the finale.  

Agreed. Unless there's a late moment of comic relief, I think we've seen the last of him. As well as Bran, Sam, and Tormund...unless they are just there for some final coronation/celebration scene. 

I can see Asha arriving with whatever is left of the Iron Fleet but I don't see her playing a big speaking role. And I wouldn't be shocked if Brienne arrives with Sansa and an army from the North. I do not expect there to be another battle though. I think the end turns on Jon somehow turning the dragon. As the last ep made clear, you have to have the dragon. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

39 minutes ago, TPS said:

I was thinking about this the other day given all the discussion about the pacing.  These guys have been doing this for 10 years, and I'm sure they hope to do something else in their careers, rather than one hit wonders....

A number of them have been in other movies and TV shows of late. 

Sophie Turner, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Kit Harington, Gwendoline Christie, Emilia Clarke, Nathalie Emmanuel, Maisie Williams,  Peter Dinklage, Alfie Allen, Lena Headey, Aidan Gillen

18 minutes ago, Nanker said:

One could also make a case that there is only one half of a Lannister left as well. 

You forget that Cersei borrowed yet again from the Iron Bank to buy the services of Harry Strickland and the Golden Company. The iron Bank will have it’s due. 

Oh come on man!!!   No short jokes.

LOL :lol: 

Yeah.  I don't know why when they had "claimed" more than enough to repay their debts.  The useless Golden Company was a complete waste.

Tyrion is part of the Dragon Queens realm not Cersei's.  and again not enough time not t he inclination that the bank would dare ask/demand Dany for the repayment.  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

12 minutes ago, BeginnersMind said:

Agreed. Unless there's a late moment of comic relief, I think we've seen the last of him. As well as Bran, Sam, and Tormund...unless they are just there for some final coronation/celebration scene. 

I can see Asha arriving with whatever is left of the Iron Fleet but I don't see her playing a big speaking role. And I wouldn't be shocked if Brienne arrives with Sansa and an army from the North. I do not expect there to be another battle though. I think the end turns on Jon somehow turning the dragon. As the last ep made clear, you have to have the dragon. 

If Jon takes the throne I could see a cameo of each of them, but they serve little purpose otherwise. 

What else can happen if Dany kills Jon ?  The North sends an army?  

Its simpler for Arya to kill Dany and take the throne.

Or take on a face and kill Danny before she kills Jon.

runs around a corner and removes the face ....  Assassin vanishes and none the wiser. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

16 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

A number of them have been in other movies and TV shows of late. 

Sophie Turner, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Kit Harington, Gwendoline Christie, Emilia Clarke, Nathalie Emmanuel, Maisie Williams,  Peter Dinklage, Alfie Allen, Lena Headey, Aidan Gillen

Oh come on man!!!   No short jokes.

LOL :lol: 

Yeah.  I don't know why when they had "claimed" more than enough to repay their debts.  The useless Golden Company was a complete waste.

Tyrion is part of the Dragon Queens realm not Cersei's.  and again not enough time not t he inclination that the bank would dare ask/demand Dany for the repayment.  

I meant Benioff and Weiss. 

9 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

If Jon takes the throne I could see a cameo of each of them, but they serve little purpose otherwise. 

What else can happen if Dany kills Jon ?  The North sends an army?  

Its simpler for Arya to kill Dany and take the throne.

Or take on a face and kill Danny before she kills Jon.

runs around a corner and removes the face ....  Assassin vanishes and none the wiser. 

I’d be disappointed if Arya does that. She already saved the world. To give her another moment like that tips the balance of all characters to be all about her ability to make assassinations. I don’t believe Martin would do that. Not or saying she won’t play a role but it would be lame to have her behead two monarchs in 4 episodes. 

Dany needs to go down another way. I suspect it will be when Jon says, with that heavy hearted look he gets, “Dracarys” and melts her on the throne. 

Edited by BeginnersMind

'Game of Thrones' Ratings: Penultimate Episode Is Most-Watched in Series History

The episode was watched by 12.48 million viewers during its initial broadcast, which handily trumps the previous record of 12.07 million, held by the season 7 finale. Given the colossal numbers put up by “The Bells,” an episode which divided opinion among fans and critics, one would expect that the series finale of the HBO behemoth will steal the viewership crown.

Azor Ahai is

destined to kill the one he loves

8 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

They're doing the next Star Wars trilogy.

Writing the movies no one really asked for, by the guys we'd all wish would take a timeout from writing.  Hmmmm...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, LBSeeBallLBGetBall said:

They're doing the next Star Wars trilogy.

I thought they were giving the Star Wars shows a break??? 

18 minutes ago, stony said:

Writing the movies no one really asked for, by the guys we'd all wish would take a timeout from writing.  Hmmmm...

yeah this ^^^ 

14 hours ago, DC Tom said:

How she turned.  Showing, through the character's actions and dialog not just why she turns, but the psychological process of how she goes from someone who locks up her "children" because they killed a child to someone who uses her surviving "child" to roast children. 

Character development is far more than a bullet list of the events of a character's life, but the interplay of those events on the psychology of the character and how it develops.  It's the difference between "Walter White is a mild-mannered chemistry teacher who builds a meth empire" and "Walter White evolves from Mr. Chips to Scarface."

I agree with this 100%

Yes, we all know the Targs have a history of some eccentric members.  None so much mass murderers, but crazy, like drinking wildfire to see if they turn into a dragon.

Dany did some harsh things, but as mentioned.  Every leader in this story does harsh things, and there was a level of justice or survival connected to each act.  Her advisors were drawn to her cause because she showed signs of being grounded and righteous, like Rhaegar.  They weren't constantly parrying her impulses to burn people.  In fact, she was getting counselled to act in a much more draconian fashion to deal with The Sons of The Harpy and she refused.  She was actively protecting people, freeing slaves, and even chained her own 'family' up because a child was killed.

Her story arc from S1, E1 to S8, E3 was a different arc than S8 E4 and 5 and it feels very disconnected.  Something as significant story-wise as her turn should have been better nurtured over time.  It would have enhanced the story a great deal if we had a clue that there was an internal conflict going on, and we were always hoping "good" Dany prevailed and had a nice ending for the character.  The ringing of the Bells would have been a profound climax.  I could even imagine a bottle episode dealing with Dany's internal conflict sometime over the past 2 seasons would have been amazing.

Im not 'shocked' or upset the story went this way.  Looking forward to GRRM painting the picture.  However, Dany was very poorly developed with this.  

• Like (+1) 2