Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

7 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The girl in Winterfell had a burn scar on the right side of her face.  

Which looked like the Greyscale that Stannis' daughter had.  Shireen?

Heck, the girl from last night was holding a wooden carved white horse quite similar to the carved stag that Shireen had.

The white horse was also very similar to the horse that Arya rode out on.

Edited by Bad Things
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

23 hours ago, ocemur said:

Those Clegane boys know how have a fight. I love that at that moment, the giant dragon raining hell down upon a city is just background.

Brings back memories of Dan Dority vs. Captain Turner in Deadwood. Probably the best fight scene ever IMO.

Am I the only one who felt everything in this episode was highly predictable?  

I mean they have been clearly setting up Dany for a turn for a long time, this should have shocked no one.  They clearly were stacking the table all season with a few working behind her back to get caught, the Jon arc, last weeks episode, killing of her dragon, etc etc.   

Arya, it was a given that the mom and daughter would die the moment they left the house.  Makes me think they may be setting her up AGAIN to kill the big remaining Villian which is now going to be Dany.  

First 2 episodes were great, the nightwalker battle episode was disappointing, inconsistent, and overall just hard to watch.  The week after they set everything up for this episode and now just all feels rushed for one last episode.  

For me...I have both loved this season and also been greatly disappointed at the same time.  Nothing was a bad as the nightwalker battle which was quite disappointing and CLEARLY needed to be 2 full episodes.  They should have not crammed it all in and made first episode of the fight to the point where she lit the trench on fire and they were temporality stopped.  Next episode they pick up with them figuring out how to navigate across the fire pit and taking the battle into the castle.  

Biggest issues with that episode were the inconsistency with how the White Walkers behaved.  I mean they are swarming whole armies in seconds, yet Bran holds them off one by one with a bow and arrow?  Jon is surrounded by them and fends off hundreds with a sword by himself?  Dany and what's his face hold off hundreds at a time while whole army battalions and the walls are swarmed in seconds like zombies in World War Z?  Just no consistency what so ever.  

Additionally, Dany's dragon just leaves her because some white walkers are on it with weapons that can't really hurt it?  Jon is totally wasted in the episode ducking behind rocks with a dragon?  I mean it was pretty dissapointing.  Arya is bad a** assassin, turned scared girl, turned Night King killer all in like 20 minutes?  Night King goes down without a fight...all these seasons of build up and he doesn't even have a battle with anyone nor the other Night Walker leaders who just stood there the whole time?   

Last nights episode was better than the white walker battle, but it felt predictable and also found it a bit of a letdown on the battle.  Wasn't much of a battle at all, little suspense really.  Dragon went from vulnerable and somewhat neutralized, to just basically being a one person army that destroyed an entire fleet, army, and kingdom without breaking a sweat.  It just became one long Dany turn instead of a suspenseful battle.  

Just my 2 cents, but we were all a bit disappointed in the 2 big showdown episodes we waited all these seasons for.  They both had their moments, but just feel overall they could have been better.   

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

I dont mind the fact that dany went all nuts there... but i think they blew the opportunity to show a real descent into that.  This just seems like a random act of mass murder. 

This is/was the major happening of the series, and it was set up over 1.5 episodes.  Could have been building that for multiple seasons, but leave the viewer hoping beyond hope her good side wins out and she doesnt break bad.  (And i dont consider executing the tarlys or crucifying the yunkish masters "mad" acts).  

Im looking forward to see how grrm develops this.

Edited by May Day 10

58 minutes ago, Doc said:

Is that first bolded section true?  I thought they were told to limit the number of episodes.  If so, bad, bad move.

As for the second bolded section, that's very possible.

And I knew from episode one of this season, when Cersei didn't send her troops to Winterfell, that the NK would be defeated.  Kind of killed the suspense.

The white horse was the horse Harry Strickland (seriously...that was his name)...the head of the mercenary army was riding when they stood in front of the gate facing Jon's army.  When Dany blasted through the gate with her dragon, he was knocked off and then killed by Greyworm.

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

I dont mind the fact that dany went all nuts there... but i think they blew the opportunity to show a real descent into that.  This just seems like a random act of mass murder. 

This is/was the major happening of the series, and it was set up over 1.5 episodes.  Could have been building that for multiple seasons, but leave the viewer hoping beyond hope her good side wins out and she doesnt break bad.  (And i dont consider executing the tarlys or crucifying the yunkish masters "mad" acts).  

Im looking forward to see how grrm develops this.

What about this post?

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/bo7l4u/spoilers_all_of_the_foreshadowing_that_lead_up_to/

60267578_2325821957440460_67905101587504

Edited by Awwufelloff

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Is that first bolded section true?  I thought they were told to limit the number of episodes.  If so, bad, bad move.

As for the second bolded section, that's very possible.

And I knew from episode one of this season, when Cersei didn't send her troops to Winterfell, that the NK would be defeated.  Kind of killed the suspense.

I thought I had read that HBO begged them to make more episodes and the producers wanted to wrap everything up in one 10 episode 7th season.  I am surprised at the pacing through six seasons if that was truly the plan.  The amount of action to wrap up even with the additional episodes is totally rushed.

14 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

I thought it was awesome... but Dany's 2-episode character 180 wasnt well executed.  She went well beyond any previous "Mad King" for small reason (considering she was being actively provoked throughout Meereen/Slavers Bay).  Maybe if they had a councilor poisoning her mind for awhile it, always being right, and earning her trust would make more sense.  Aerys was going to light up King's Landing, but only to spoil the prize from an inevitable sacking by Robert and Eddard (and maybe Tywin).  Dany was just killing people street by street for the hell of it after the war was already won.  

I also thought Jaime's trip to King's Landing was an unnecessary waste to give Cersei a disappointing dignified end.  Jaime/Brienne would have been better off dying gallantly at the Battle with the Night King in an embrace and maybe sharing a kiss.  

Hound versus Mountain was as good as can be, especially since it was pretty much a foregone conclusion. But great that the Hound thrust them both into the fire.  

Will Varys' letters amount to anything?

Like I mentioned.  I see this almost certainly turning into a Dany/Jon/Dragon all dying, with Sansa/Tyrion/Davos emerging as the 'voice' and declaring that the realm will be restored to 7 Kingdoms again.  A possible soft ending of Dragon's eggs hatching across the sea. 

The episode was definitely not perfect.  They didn’t do enough to justify Dany slowly going mad.  However, most shows would’ve shown the close up of Dany’s face when the bell rang and had her slowly come to her senses. 

Other minor complaints......Varys is too clever to be caught so easily.  Euron should’ve died on the boat as his fight with Jaime and Euron was something out of a bad action movie.  The Golden Company were supposed to be amazing fighters.  Cersei’s death was too clean.  They underutilized Arya’s skill set.  Jon hasn’t done or said much all season for how important his character is.  Bran sucks at his job.  

The episode did enough for me overall though as I feared the worst as this season up to this point has been too uneven like season 5.

Edited by Doc Brown
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, jkeerie said:

That little girl was sitting with Varys in the crypt during the battle at Winterfell.   Apparently she was one of Varys little birds.  Varys was trying to poison Dany and the girl worked in the kitchen.   That's why she was reporting to Varys that Dany wasn't eating.

I never realized that until you just said it. Nice catch 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Am I the only one who felt everything in this episode was highly predictable?  

I mean they have been clearly setting up Dany for a turn for a long time, this should have shocked no one.  They clearly were stacking the table all season with a few working behind her back to get caught, the Jon arc, last weeks episode, killing of her dragon, etc etc.   

Arya, it was a given that the mom and daughter would die the moment they left the house.  Makes me think they may be setting her up AGAIN to kill the big remaining Villian which is now going to be Dany.  

First 2 episodes were great, the nightwalker battle episode was disappointing, inconsistent, and overall just hard to watch.  The week after they set everything up for this episode and now just all feels rushed for one last episode.  

For me...I have both loved this season and also been greatly disappointed at the same time.  Nothing was a bad as the nightwalker battle which was quite disappointing and CLEARLY needed to be 2 full episodes.  They should have not crammed it all in and made first episode of the fight to the point where she lit the trench on fire and they were temporality stopped.  Next episode they pick up with them figuring out how to navigate across the fire pit and taking the battle into the castle.  

Biggest issues with that episode were the inconsistency with how the White Walkers behaved.  I mean they are swarming whole armies in seconds, yet Bran holds them off one by one with a bow and arrow?  Jon is surrounded by them and fends off hundreds with a sword by himself?  Dany and what's his face hold off hundreds at a time while whole army battalions and the walls are swarmed in seconds like zombies in World War Z?  Just no consistency what so ever.  

Additionally, Dany's dragon just leaves her because some white walkers are on it with weapons that can't really hurt it?  Jon is totally wasted in the episode ducking behind rocks with a dragon?  I mean it was pretty dissapointing.  Arya is bad a** assassin, turned scared girl, turned Night King killer all in like 20 minutes?  Night King goes down without a fight...all these seasons of build up and he doesn't even have a battle with anyone nor the other Night Walker leaders who just stood there the whole time?   

Last nights episode was better than the white walker battle, but it felt predictable and also found it a bit of a letdown on the battle.  Wasn't much of a battle at all, little suspense really.  Dragon went from vulnerable and somewhat neutralized, to just basically being a one person army that destroyed an entire fleet, army, and kingdom without breaking a sweat.  It just became one long Dany turn instead of a suspenseful battle.  

Just my 2 cents, but we were all a bit disappointed in the 2 big showdown episodes we waited all these seasons for.  They both had their moments, but just feel overall they could have been better.   

Nailed it, excellent post. The other two dragons were just spanked easily, but not this one? Now we're all set up for the trope-ish Jon Snow to be like "oh she's evil! I have to stop her."

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

Almost none of that has to do with a descent into madness.  

Most of those examples are her showing signs of being tough/just, which is a virtue every leader in this world must possess.  Much of those taken out of context.  She opened the fighting pits.... but only after closing them, and resisting for year(s), she needed to open them politically and to end bloodshed.  And its clear she strongly disliked the custom.

Edited by May Day 10

5 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Almost none of that has to do with a descent into madness.  

Agreed. None of this would lead someone to purposefully killing innocent civilians.  The people responsible for her misery I could see her going after, but not innocent civilians.  She's experienced joy in watching her enemies suffer (her brother, Xaro, slave owners, etc.) but they were all bad people.  For somebody so focused on not becomming her father, I still find her turning mad unconvincing.  Cersei killed Melisandre so I thought she would just burn down the Red Keep.  Oh well.  Maybe GRRM will present a more convincing case.

9 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

Does anyone think the horse was Bran?

so you're saying the episode ending with Arya riding Bran?  Picking up where the Lannisters left off :wacko:

7 hours ago, jkeerie said:

The white horse was the horse Harry Strickland (seriously...that was his name)...the head of the mercenary army was riding when they stood in front of the gate facing Jon's army.  When Dany blasted through the gate with her dragon, he was knocked off and then killed by Greyworm.

so my take on the white horse:

And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer..  Revelations 6:2

Edited by /dev/null
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer..  Revelations 6:2

<_<

Overall the look and cinematography of this season I think has been top notch. Some of the best shots of the series.

For me, I just can't get past what they've done with some of the characters:

- How dumb has Tyrion become? Has he suggested or made the right decision in the past 2 seasons? 

- Arya has gone from confident revenge seeking assassin to scared/frightened fighter to courageous/sneaky killer of the Night King back to confident revenge seeking assassin to giving up on revenge

- For how clever Varys is, I found it odd that he was so quickly found out and that he didn't see it coming because he has all these birds

- Jon Snow has become a shell of his former self, his character has done very little this season except say "You are my Queen" and look blankly at whats happening in front of him

- Cersei's story arc has been an odd one as well, can't put my finger on why though.

I think there have been some nice character arcs and I don't mind that Dany has gone all Mad Queen, although think they could have used an episode or 2 to drive that home a bit more.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

so you're saying the episode ending with Arya riding Bran?  Picking up where the Lannisters left off :wacko:

I just took it to mean she has a bright and hopeful future after deciding to choose life instead of her "list" suicide mission.  My guess is the "green eyes" was Littlefinger from last season (his eyes were green in the book) and people will be disappointed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I think the end of Euron was apropos to that mad little *****. He sneaks up on Jamie (the bastard always sneaked up on his foes) and even though he himself is mortally wounded, ironically proclaimed, “I’m the man who killed Jamie Lannister!”

No you’re not you twit. You were nothing more than a sniveling cretin with delusions of grandeur bubbling through that fat head of yours. You fit right in with this crowd.

You didn’t get to live with Cersei, and Jamie killed you. 

She died in essentially a bunker with her capital in flames and crumbling down around her. You know who else died in a bunker with their capital in flames and crumbling down around them?

9 hours ago, Bad Things said:

Which looked like the Greyscale that Stannis' daughter had.  Shireen?

Heck, the girl from last night was holding a wooden carved white horse quite similar to the carved stag that Shireen had.

The white horse was also very similar to the horse that Arya rode out on.

The one from the soup line that talked with Davos.  Yes. 

I saw the horse.  A lot of "Easter Eggs" that one to Shireen's carved Stag.

If Jon becomes King, Davos will be his Hand. 

is-that-you-red-priestess.png?rect=0,49,  8-Courtesy-of-HBO.jpg&c=sc&w=850&h=560

varys.png  

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

8 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Could be the same horse ... but where's the saddle?  

240fb8a7e648057ca8f557ef1c089f3385bae6ef 2a70d490-75c7-11e9-b4e2-15d91c2c7fa3_800

3a0274bd-762c-42a7-9fd2-0467927acd85-17-

Look at the reigns...   "Harry's are in the top loop" brassy color, the Arya horse the lower look and more a steel color.