Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

i doubt the writers remember either.... i'll just try to enjoy the finish without picking holes in the plot bigger than the Grand Canyon  :D

Imo it's been on the downswing ever since they got cold feet and resurrected Harrington.

6 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

"I have to die in this strange country, just like you - Melisandre   RIP 

Volantis ......  where dragons come from???????? 

Not quite the Cliffs of Moher, but close. 

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

Tyrion is one of the best TV characters the late 25 years

he has to carry so many of them in every single scene

He's also the best of the characters in the books, too.

3 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Imo it's been on the downswing ever since they got cold feet and resurrected Harrington.

For me it's been since the Red Wedding, but mainly because there's just no way to top that in terms of sheer visceral unpredictable tragedy.

Edited by transplantbillsfan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

He's also the best of the characters in the books, too.

For me it's been since the Red Wedding, but mainly because there's just no way to top that in terms of sheer visceral unpredictable tragedy.

The Mountain exploding that guys head was pretty unexpected.

The Red Wedding was a shocker moreso because of Rob's pregnant wife.  ---  Rob Stark's wife never attended the Red Wedding and Caitlin Stark became Lady Stoneheart in the books.

Blowing up the Great Sept of Baelor with Margaery Tyrell inside was almost as bad.  I didn't like the twist the show put on there.  way different than the book.   

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

The books havent gotten that far.  Margaery is still imprisoned far as i recall (loras on burnt on dragonstone)

Margaery was released from prison and placed under house arrest, where she awaits trial.  I thought it was before Cersei was released.  

Cersei's plan backfired. 

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

The Mountain exploding that guys head was pretty unexpected.

That was Oz-like in sudden shock, then again Oz did this almost every episode...

Edited by row_33

One of the great things about the Red Wedding, especially in the books, is that it was kind of laid out there for us to figure out, and not a lot of people/anybody did.  They laid out nuggets building up, right up to the strange/loud/crappy music gallery.  Even after what happened to Ned Stark it came as a huge shock.  In a matter of pages, he essentially snuffed out what we thought was the main revenge plot.  Then you put it all together with Tywin's letters/certainty that Sansa would be the lord, the makeup of the Westerling family, the mistreatment of the Karstarks, etc...  It was genius.   

That kind of thing sets an unfair bar though, and after that, everyone is just waiting for the writer(s) to knock your socks off and analyzing every little thing trying to guess the next 'twist'.  This is what has poisoned the opinions of M Night Shyamalan's movies since the Sixth Sense.  Everyone is expecting a major twist at the end and disappointed every time because they are let down (personally, I still like most of his movies)

14 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Minor character.

The death was gruesome, but who cared about that guy?

he had a few great lines in Tyrion's trial

Are  the  books  an easy read or is it like reading Lord Jim or Moby Dick where you can't figure out what is going on because the grammar is not easy to read?

12 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Are  the  books  an easy read or is it like reading Lord Jim or Moby Dick where you can't figure out what is going on because the grammar is not easy to read?

i doubt it's going to be within a million miles of Moby Dick or War and Peace

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, PIZ said:

The books are an easy read   up to a point.

He went a bit odd / goofy in one book only centering on A scenario then halfway through brought the whole world back together.  then playing catchup with the story lines.

I've read the books 3 times through and the only parts I find boring in when Dany sits in Meereen awaiting her move to Westeros.  sure there is some excitement but a few chapters I scan and turn pages.

The b itch is waiting for the last 2 books  -  the last book ends when Jon gets stabbed / killed in Castle Black and Dany and Cersei are awaiting trial 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

Yeah.  Meereen in in the last book is the worst part, with all the political machinations and people slowly travelling there.  There were/are various plots i really wanted to see, but it seemed that 95% of the 2nd half of the last book was centered on meereen... and also castle black which was kind of at an impasse through much of the book.  Other than that, all 5 books are dynamite imo.

The books arent a difficult read at all.  Grrm has a way of writing that takes a little adjustment (f.e. tyrion liked the contents of the letter not at all).  But its a fairly easy road.  Especially with familiarity with the general physics, map, politics, major characters, etc.  The worst part, i would say is the in depth description of everything in every meal, as well as detailed descriptions of what people are wearing.... that paints a great picture though and sets tones.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The books are an easy read   up to a point.

He went a bit odd / goofy in one book only centering on A scenario then halfway through brought the whole world back together.  then playing catchup with the story lines.

I've read the books 3 times through and the only parts I find boring in when Dany sits in Meereen awaiting he move to Westeros.  sure there is some excitement but a few chapters I scan and turn pages.

The b itch is waiting for the last 2 books  -  the last book ends when Jon gets stabbed / killed in Castle Black and Dany and Cersei are awaiting trial 

it's hard when a jest turns into a money-making machine

by the third edition everyone gripes about how little $$$ they are pocketing and everyone hates each other

• Like (+1) 1