Game of Thrones - And Now Our Watch Has Ended!

3 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

She didn't "sneak up" on the Night King. Theon sacrificed himself (unknowingly to him, but knowingly to Bran) to buy her time to make her approach. We spent a good five minutes in the library showing how stealthy she is -- even around the dead -- not to mention the several seasons worth of her training. 

Arya almost forgot to show up at the Godswood.  Melisandre had to remind her what her purpose was. 

And Theon's slo-mo run at the Night King from 30 yards away was not the best plan of attack.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, snafu said:

Arya almost forgot to show up at the Godswood.  Melisandre had to remind her what her purpose was. 

And Theon's slo-mo run at the Night King from 30 yards away was not the best plan of attack.

All true. :lol: :beer: 

Theon's plan, in particular, was poorly conceived and executed. Then again, that's how he became Reek -- by being dumb and poorly executing his plans. 

(I'm still not a Theon fan even after his redemption -- the North may have forgiven, but I haven't.)

26 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Theon's plan, in particular, was poorly conceived and executed. Then again, that's how he became Reek -- by being dumb and poorly executing his plans. 

(I'm still not a Theon fan even after his redemption -- the North may have forgiven, but I haven't.)

My wife's favorite character was Theon. She feels bad that he got completely bamboozled by both Balon and then the psychopath Bolton kid -- and he suffered mightily for his bad life choices.  I say don't make bad life choices.

• Like (+1) 1

Just had a chance to watch this last episode again, I thought they hit out of the ballpark. Again, my only complaint is the terrible compression from HBO’s broadcast, especially in the sky in the beginning. The build-up to the end of the NK was spectacular, wow! I’m perfectly fine with the number of deaths, though I will definitely miss Jorah and yes  Melissandre. 10/10. :thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 hours ago, May Day 10 said:

to me, the Night King/WW story was not ended in a fulfilling way.

mind you, I don't hate it and aren't running around complaining about it all over the net.  This is actually the first Im mentioning it.

It was kind of "easy" and quick.  This was the main threat throughout the books and series.  I have a hard time imagining that the war with the Others is going to not be the ending of the books (with a bit of tying loose ends after).  There is a whole theme of "Your Marching the Wrong Way" when Robb marches South.  Even in the show, for those who are 'woke', there is a whole theme that all the thrones, titles, and lords do not matter.  These White Walkers and night king battled a hardy and all-wise race of Children of the Forest for thousands of years to no conclusion.  Having Arya just "sneak up" on the Night King and stab him, killing all the WW just feels like a convenient way out.  The whole theme is "this is way bigger than titles, and man forgot"... but it changed to "well, I guess this girl took care of that, I guess titles were the bigger deal after all".  They didn't develop this over several 1,000s of pages and 7+ seasons so the Night King slips on a banana peel and ends the threat at the first resistance before getting halfway out of the North.

Now the last half of the last season, we have the big culmination of the series with the antagonists being Cersei, a non-developed-just introduced Golden Company, and a little developed Euron.  

Jon or Arya would've been the only two people worthy to kill the Night King.  Throughout the show, Melisandre did some horrible things convinced it was for the greater good to bring about "The prince(ess) who was promised."  She just didn't know who it was.  She first thought it was Stannis and then Jon.  She was wrong and apparently realized it was Arya after her trip back from Volantis.  Her staring at Arya when she first got there gave it away.  Her training set her apart from "this girl."

I love the show but was disappointed in the last episode. I have no problem with Arya killing the NK. The WW have been the threat being pushed the entire show and I thought it was ended too quickly. I also didn't care for all of the major characters making it. Winterfell had been overrun by the dead and everyone is slaughtered minus our favorite characters. They just dust themselves off and hug each other. It was a little soft.

47 minutes ago, Needle said:

I love the show but was disappointed in the last episode. I have no problem with Arya killing the NK. The WW have been the threat being pushed the entire show and I thought it was ended too quickly. I also didn't care for all of the major characters making it. Winterfell had been overrun by the dead and everyone is slaughtered minus our favorite characters. They just dust themselves off and hug each other. It was a little soft.

I think the word you're looking for is lame. Or maybe Deus ex machina.

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Like the Bills draft?<_<

12 hours ago, Deranged Rhino said:

He committed suicide after he redeemed himself....basically went out trying to do something instead of running away.  I thought it was fitting.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Nervous Guy said:

Like the Bills draft?<_<

He committed suicide after he redeemed himself.

It would have been cooler if the night King destroyed everything. As far as the bills draft goes, it wasn't lame. Just not as well done as it could have been.

6 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It happens all the time in practically every show / movie. 

The good guy is getting his or her butt kicked for 5 minutes and then manages to find the strength to win.  

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

It happens all the time in practically every show / movie. 

The good guy is getting his or her butt kicked for 5 minutes and then manages to find the strength to win.  

Like I said, I'd have preferred to see the Night King on the throne. That would have been a fitting ending, seeing how this series has gone lol

Also, are there really any "good" guys in that universe?

Edited by Joe in Winslow
  • Haha (+1) 1

Me!!!

LOL

Now I have to watch it with CC

"Jon screamed at the undead dragon to distract it so Arya can run past and kill the Night King. The undead dragon was protecting the entrance to the Godswood. Watch it again, you can actually hear him scream 'GOOOOO - GO - GO.' 

Actually just "knowing" this I don't need CC.    I agree Jon was distracting the dragon and yelling Goooo Go  

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Like I said, I'd have preferred to see the Night King on the throne. That would have been a fitting ending, seeing how this series has gone lol

Also, are there really any "good" guys in that universe?

The whole allure of the show/story, is it doesn't fall into that type of age-old storytelling.  The favorite characters don't always prevail, they will get killed or captured (or maimed) if put in a vulnerable position.  Its clear that the show turned away from that a bit after they exceeded the books, especially with their previous trip beyond the wall in Season 7.  We are seeing it go more toward Legolas and Gimli counting their kills.

The fact that you can just hire a faceless man to kill the night king, IMO cheapens and diminishes the threat quite a bit.  The threat we were anticipating since the very first chapter and scene.  They fell from the first battle waged by humans (Hardhome was more of an ambush on civilians).

I wouldnt think it would be a good conclusion that the Night King takes over/decimates Westeros... but I would hope for some more carnage outside of just The Last Hearth and Winterfell before they were snuffed out.

The story's battles, especially when one side is facing numbers, are always resolved using a degree of cunning and out-flanking the opponent.  Moreso the books I think, but what immediately comes to mind is the Whispering Wood, Battle of the Camps, Battle of the Blackwater, Battle at Castle Black I and II, Red Wedding.

I have always thought that humans would end up staging the major decisive battle against the Army of the Dead at Moat Cailin, as it is a pinch-point and tactically makes the most sense.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 1

Lost in all of this discussion over the NK, I think, is the fact that there is no scenario under which an army of humans could defeat an army of the dead.  None.  The NK can always simply raise the dead and continue forward.  The only way to resolve the NK arc was to kill him, and this was a creative way of doing so.  Why do we need to see the dead army march further south?

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, eball said:

Lost in all of this discussion over the NK, I think, is the fact that there is no scenario under which an army of humans could defeat an army of the dead.  None.  The NK can always simply raise the dead and continue forward.  The only way to resolve the NK arc was to kill him, and this was a creative way of doing so.  Why do we need to see the dead army march further south?

Other than to see Cersi crap her dress and Euron run like a coward ?   We don't 

Danys visit to the Tower showed her in a semi destroyed throne room with snow covering the floor.

that "vision" may have had people thinking the NK went past Winterfell  

17 minutes ago, eball said:

Being a guy who read heavily in the fantasy genre as well as an RPGer/table top gamer.  There's little more powerful than a necromancer. He has an unlimited stock of troops.

i was too tired to bother with the details until something obviously was going to happen

i don't have the tech to fully enjoy what they did, but the scenes were at night and whatever...

wished Arya used a face to deceive the WW king though...