Jump to content
Estro

Sean Kugler, Broncos OL coach not yet hired by TB, still looking?

Recommended Posts

The word is that Mike Munchak is the front runner for the Denver HC job, and he is an OL coach. He may have his own ideas/philosophies and want to bring over his own assistant. Just a thought. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, klos63 said:

Possibly, other than Kugler, do we know of others with interview options? It's also possible some of these coaches are pretty happy to still have a chance to have a job with Denver next season. Either way, Elway doesn't want to lose good assistant coaches, can't fault him for that. Assistant coaches won't think twice to leave a team for another job, it works both ways.

I think you are missing the point. Are you saying that an assistant coach could be fine with not being allowed interview for a job (a chance to have a job) because they have a chance to keep their current job? 

 

All I know is that I'd prefer to have the option of interviewing for a job and then finding out that I would be retained and turning down the first job. I would be very unhappy if I was not allowed to interview while there were openings and then told that I was no longer needed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How high would Buffalo be on his list.  They dumped him last time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

How high would Buffalo be on his list.  They dumped him last time.

 

Different owners and organization. 

 

I think the point is not whether the Bills job would be attractive to him, but how a GM denying interviews impacts that teams reputation. If Kugler is not interested in a job he should be the one turning down the interview.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What does he have to gain by allowing all of his coaches to leave for lateral positions on other teams?

 

Block it if you can. That's why the rule is there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s fairly common to block until the new HC is hired, unless you really don’t want the guy. The new HC should have the opportunity to evaluate and decide if he wants to keep on staff if still under  contract. 

 

Bills did this with Schwartz 

15 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

 

Different owners and organization. 

 

I think the point is not whether the Bills job would be attractive to him, but how a GM denying interviews impacts that teams reputation. If Kugler is not interested in a job he should be the one turning down the interview.

It is important to keep in mind that in some cases (not necessarily saying that it’s the case here) it will be reported that the team is blocking the interview— but the coach is actually not interested in the job, and doesn’t want to burn bridges by turning it down himself so the team says it is blocking it. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't fault Elway for doing this.  It's a shrewd move.  

 

When Chicago hired Matt Nagy, he retained Vic Fangio as the DC.  

 

Of course it's on Elway to make his head coaching decision in a timely manner.  

 

As an aside what Lynn Swann is doing to Kliff Kingsbury at USC is a different animal altogether.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I think it’s fairly common to block until the new HC is hired, unless you really don’t want the guy. The new HC should have the opportunity to evaluate and decide if he wants to keep on staff if still under  contract. 

 

Bills did this with Schwartz 

It is important to keep in mind that in some cases (not necessarily saying that it’s the case here) it will be reported that the team is blocking the interview— but the coach is actually not interested in the job, and doesn’t want to burn bridges by turning it down himself so the team says it is blocking it. 

That is a fair point. It will be interesting to see if Kugler interviews anywhere else or if any Broncos assistants interview before a HC is named. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

That is a fair point. It will be interesting to see if Kugler interviews anywhere else or if any Broncos assistants interview before a HC is named. 

Since he was blocked for multiple/all interviews (Bills were only one of the requests) it’s probably not the case here. Even if he didn’t want to work anywhere but Denver, he has no job security right now so makes no sense to turn down all of them. 

Edited by YoloinOhio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I think you are missing the point. Are you saying that an assistant coach could be fine with not being allowed interview for a job (a chance to have a job) because they have a chance to keep their current job? 

 

All I know is that I'd prefer to have the option of interviewing for a job and then finding out that I would be retained and turning down the first job. I would be very unhappy if I was not allowed to interview while there were openings and then told that I was no longer needed. 

My main point is that the assistants are under contract right now and Elway is doing what he thinks is in the best interests of the Broncos, as he should. We know sports are cutthroat businesses but this doesn't seem unusual or wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he doesn't hire a new head coach quickly, there are two groups of people who are going to remember this, and react to it: potential assistant coaches, and opposing GMs.  Potential assistant coaches will wonder if they could be held hostage in a head coaching change, and GMs will take it into consideration if Denver comes calling with requests to interview assistant coaches when they have a head coaching change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, klos63 said:

Are they still under contract with Denver? Seems like he's looking out for his teams best interests.

 

Yes, they are under contract with the Broncos, and Elway is looking out for his teams best interests... well said

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I think you are missing the point. Are you saying that an assistant coach could be fine with not being allowed interview for a job (a chance to have a job) because they have a chance to keep their current job? 

 

All I know is that I'd prefer to have the option of interviewing for a job and then finding out that I would be retained and turning down the first job. I would be very unhappy if I was not allowed to interview while there were openings and then told that I was no longer needed. 

 

Sign a year to year contract for employment then... if you want the immediate flexability.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klos63 said:

My main point is that the assistants are under contract right now and Elway is doing what he thinks is in the best interests of the Broncos, as he should. We know sports are cutthroat businesses but this doesn't seem unusual or wrong.

 

33 minutes ago, B-Large said:

 

Yes, they are under contract with the Broncos, and Elway is looking out for his teams best interests... well said

 

Sign a year to year contract for employment then... if you want the immediate flexability.

 

I'm not disagreeing with either of you. Elway has the right to refuse interviews for any member of the Broncos staff that are under contract.

 

My point is many organizations give their staff permission to interview with other teams even though they could refuse. With everything that's been going on in Denver (really since Manning retired) that organization's reputation seems to be lowering from top tier to average. The news reports about Denver are not what a GM should be hoping for and I am not sure that Elway's choices are helping the situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Chris from Rochester said:

This is why I don't like former great players as coaches/ FO guys for the teams they had success with.  Feels like it can tarnish legacies.  Imagine if Kelly was the GM in the height of the drought and flamed out. I much prefer the team ambassador/ media role for team legends

 

I don't know about you, but if Jim Kelly was our GM and he signed Peyton Manning and we went to 2 SBs winning 1, I'd say he was doing a bang up job. Even if we had some down years after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

 

Different owners and organization. 

 

I think the point is not whether the Bills job would be attractive to him, but how a GM denying interviews impacts that teams reputation. If Kugler is not interested in a job he should be the one turning down the interview.

 

It is no different than players under contract - you signed the contract and now you need to follow the obligations of that contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

 

It is no different than players under contract - you signed the contract and now you need to follow the obligations of that contract.

 

So the organization should too and not fire him?

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

 

It is no different than players under contract - you signed the contract and now you need to follow the obligations of that contract.

 

Except there are separate rules around players and tampering than for coaches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/6/2019 at 7:46 PM, fansince88 said:

Dick Jauron Error

 

Fixed.

 

How I do miss having ol' Skeletor on the Bills sideline

  • Haha (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, WideNine said:

 

Fixed.

 

How I do miss having ol' Skeletor on the Bills sideline

LOL. Thats too much!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Elway is not horsing around with his assistants. He's braying...er, saying 'neigh' to the rest of the league.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if Vic Fangio will have the authority to fire his assistants or let them go (Kugler, Kubiak, etc.)?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, N.Y. Orangeman said:

Here's hoping Kubiak brings back a 77 year old Alex Gibbs to be his OL coach.

His guys are Rick DDennison and Frank Pollack. I assume he goes after one of them. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×