Sean Kugler, Broncos OL coach not yet hired by TB, still looking?

Estro

5 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Literally lost out to a guy who got fired from college last year. Pretty telling how other coaches view our future with the current regime. 

He got fired by the Bills 10 years ago.

17 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Literally lost out to a guy who got fired from college last year. Pretty telling how other coaches view our future with the current regime. 

This is actually a very interesting comment.  

It is worth keeping in mind as we go through the "process" of looking for and hiring replacement assistant coaches.

53 minutes ago, Ittakestime said:

Getting a lot of mileage out of this comment on this topic I see.

See my response to the last time you said this...it still applies 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/12/2019 at 4:22 PM, RochesterRob said:

Callahan is 62 and to this point has been a head coach for the Raiders and NCAA Nebraska.  Given his age it is only logical that he wants another crack at being a HC regardless of how realistic or unrealistic that may be.  Accepting a Offensive Coordinator position would be a stepping stone in that respect.

Callahan doesn't want to be a HC again. He is done in that regard. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

That is a shame.  Kugler is a good coach.

Of course, McCoach already had a great OL on staff when he was hired . . . the same guy that is in charge of the running game that ran all over the Cowboys yesterday.

That is all true.... but how often in reality do new Head Coaches retain the previous staff? It is more the exception than the rule. The one spot where it does seem to happen is on Special Teams. 

1 hour ago, Peter said:

That is a shame.  Kugler is a good coach.

Of course, McCoach already had a great OL on staff when he was hired . . . the same guy that is in charge of the running game that ran all over the Cowboys yesterday.

McDermott tried to keep Kromer. He wasn’t under contract with the Bills for 2017 and chose to go to LA. 

I read/heard that Kromer eventually wants to be an offensive coordinator again and Sean McVay either told him that he would have a chance to earn that promotion in LA or that he would do what he could to help prepare him for that chance elsewhere (not sure which, I can’t remember for sure). 

I sure wish we could have kept him, though. He is definitely, IMO, among the best o-line coaches in the NFL. 

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Callahan doesn't want to be a HC again. He is done in that regard. 

That is all true.... but how often in reality do new Head Coaches retain the previous staff? It is more the exception than the rule. The one spot where it does seem to happen is on Special Teams. 

Retaining Crossman and not retaining Kromer was and continues to be mind blowing.  We should have retained Sanjay as well.

I still don't understand how he got up one morning and decided to fire the team chaplain as well.  Seemed so gratuitous.

10 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

McDermott tried to keep Kromer. He wasn’t under contract with the Bills for 2017 and chose to go to LA. 

I read/heard that Kromer eventually wants to be an offensive coordinator again and Sean McVay either told him that he would have a chance to earn that promotion in LA or that he would do what he could to help prepare him for that chance elsewhere (not sure which, I can’t remember for sure). 

I sure wish we could have kept him, though. He is definitely, IMO, among the best o-line coaches in the NFL. 

That is not my understanding.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I concur, just like anyone else, it would be tough going back to the employer who fired you, especially when other jobs are available 

Yup. And I still don't see the attraction with him. In five years as an offensive line coach with the Bills and Steelers, his offensive lines were mostly average in  run blocking and below average in pass blocking.   Last year he was just a G/C coach. 

Edited by Doc

13 minutes ago, Peter said:

Retaining Crossman and not retaining Kromer was and continues to be mind blowing.  We should have retained Sanjay as well.  

I get what you are saying but it just isn't how the league works. New Head Coaches come in and clear out staffs. Kromer is a very good coach. He was the best coach on Rex's staff by a long way, I'd have loved to keep him but I never expected it to be an option. 

34 minutes ago, Peter said:

You know why they yeah didn't retain Kromer, right?  Now does anyone give a *****?

I am not current on O-line coaches, but I have always admired how coached-up NE's line is every year even when they seem to play the guy they picked up off the street.

Looks like there is a reason they look as good as they do - interesting article rating offensive line coaches (wonder if Dante Scamecchia and Daboll have a connection - maybe the Pegulas can outbid Kraft for his services).

O-Line Coaches who "had the juice" last year

55 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I am not current on O-line coaches, but I have always admired how coached-up NE's line is every year even when they seem to play the guy they picked up off the street.

Looks like there is a reason they look as good as they do - interesting article rating offensive line coaches (wonder if Dante Scamecchia and Daboll have a connection - maybe the Pegulas can outbid Kraft for his services).

Dante is a great coach who they have coaxed oit of retirement once - he works for Belichick or nobody. That said their scheme is and always has been predicated on Brady getting the ball out quickly. That helps their offensive line immesurably. 

1 hour ago, WideNine said:

and ruffle dear mr Krafts feathers "

I don't think so !

22 minutes ago, Doc said:

Because he beat up some kids on a beach. 

well, his son was there.
good times