Sean Kugler, Broncos OL coach not yet hired by TB, still looking?

Estro

It’s nice to know Buffalo at least stands a chance at landing a hot coaching candidate, with the Pegulas willing to pay top dollar to bring in position coaches (they reportedly offer/pay some of their coaches among the highest salaries in the NFL (and NHL)). 

I don’t know if we will land him or not. But I do know that In years past, we’d stand zero chance because they wouldn’t have been willing to pay a competitive salary. 

1 hour ago, TN Bills Fan said:

I have a little inside scoop from a good friend of McNally.  Peters was lazy and wouldn't work at all in the off-season.  McNally even used to show up at his house and offer to work out with him and he wouldn't do it.  So McNally tried to develop him, but he wasn't willing at that time.  That is why they let him go.

That's why they let Mcnally go?

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

This keeps coming up.  Thought Mouse McNally taught Peters?

Technically both. Mcnally was OL coach from 2004-2007, Kugler was assistant OL in 2007 and OL coach for 2008 and 2009. Peters was on the team 2004-2008.

1 hour ago, TN Bills Fan said:

11 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

It was Mouse that taught peters. Kugler didn't come for a couple years after.  No idea why people keep saying that. 

Mouse and Peters came in 04.  

Kugler came in 07. I think he only had a year with peters. 

Don't know how long he had with Kugler, but it was definitely Mouse who turned him into a Tackle from a TE.

I have no idea if this is true or not, tbh, but I recall that in amongst the desire for 'mo money' Peters was also said to be unhappy that Mouse had been 'retired'.

Again, from memory, iirc, Mouse's 'retirement' seemed to be a little 'off' Months before it happened, he had been crocked on the sidelines, by players falling into him, and the 'official' line was that he felt he could no longer coach effectively, as he was still recovering from his injuries. There's a suspicion that he was eased out of the door, and Peters may well have known if that was the case.

As I understand it, Mouse is still active, but as a consultant, for the Bungles I believe, although that may change bearing in mind their HC changing.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Estro said:

Mike Klis Retweeted Rick Stroud

Sean Kugler interviewed with Vikings this week, and is expected to interview with Arizona Cardinals this weekend. Signs point to Munchak as Broncos' O-line coach and Kugler could be Cards' O-line coach. #9sports

I think it’s highly possible he just doesn’t want to come back here. Or, any possible leak is being blocked. 

2 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

This keeps coming up.  Thought Mouse McNally taught Peters?

Petered was here for more than coach and more than one sit out.  Maybe he needed to be retaught?

34 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

It’s nice to know Buffalo at least stands a chance at landing a hot coaching candidate, with the Pegulas willing to pay top dollar to bring in position coaches (they reportedly offer/pay some of their coaches among the highest salaries in the NFL (and NHL)). 

I don’t know if we will land him or not. But I do know that In years past, we’d stand zero chance because they wouldn’t have been willing to pay a competitive salary. 

That is not always a good thing with hiring of Rex Crew and repeated hires/fires by Coach McD.  

About to retire? Try to get a job in Buffalo and get several years free at full pay!

IMO Coach should be given a budget and all coaches should come out of that budget including his salary.  Would disencourage coaches from signing and then flushing without doing more research.

38 minutes ago, Doc said:

Get Bill Callahan. 

I am not saying that Kugler does not have ambitions but think Kugler might be more content to be here in an assistant's role than Callahan.  The OL could stand some consistency in terms of coaching especially now that we appear to have our long term QB.

4 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

I am not saying that Kugler does not have ambitions but think Kugler might be more content to be here in an assistant's role than Callahan.  The OL could stand some consistency in terms of coaching especially now that we appear to have our long term QB.

What o-line coach would they be assisting?  They both would be the O-line coach if hired not the assistant.

1 minute ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

What o-line coach would they be assisting?  They both would be the O-line coach if hired not the assistant.

He would be considered an assistant relative to the Offensive Coordinator.  I am saying that Callahan would be less content to be anything less than an OC long term.  The OL coach is semi-autonomous at best and has to report to the OC who in turn reports to the Head Coach.  Are you saying that the OL coach has to report to no one?

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to Sean Kugler, Broncos OL coach not yet hired by TB, still looking?
3 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

He would be considered an assistant relative to the Offensive Coordinator.  I am saying that Callahan would be less content to be anything less than an OC long term.  The OL coach is semi-autonomous at best and has to report to the OC who in turn reports to the Head Coach.  Are you saying that the OL coach has to report to no one?

That's exactly what I am saying. The OL coach has more power than the president of US and is supreme ruler of the world. 

Why would they have a problem being an O-line coach when thats their area of expertise and they aren't interviewing for a higher position? 

6 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

That's exactly what I am saying. The OL coach has more power than the president of US and is supreme ruler of the world. 

Why would they have a problem being an O-line coach when thats their area of expertise and they aren't interviewing for a higher position? 

Callahan is 62 and to this point has been a head coach for the Raiders and NCAA Nebraska.  Given his age it is only logical that he wants another crack at being a HC regardless of how realistic or unrealistic that may be.  Accepting a Offensive Coordinator position would be a stepping stone in that respect.

Edited by RochesterRob

34 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Callahan is 62 and to this point has been a head coach for the Raiders and NCAA Nebraska.  Given his age it is only logical that he wants another crack at being a HC regardless of how realistic or unrealistic that may be.  Accepting a Offensive Coordinator position would be a stepping stone in that respect.

Ok but his name hasn't been floated around for any of the open OC positions to date right?

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Ok but his name hasn't been floated around for any of the open OC positions to date right?

That is not the same thing as resigning yourself to being an OL coach the rest of your coaching career.  Not all the new staffs are set and the coaching carousel is an annual event so his name could very well be tied to an OC position January of next year.  Kugler is in his 50's and by convention he should have already been an OC or higher by this point in his career if that was his goal.

That is a shame.  Kugler is a good coach.

Of course, McCoach already had a great OL on staff when he was hired . . . the same guy that is in charge of the running game that ran all over the Cowboys yesterday.