Sean Kugler, Broncos OL coach not yet hired by TB, still looking?

Estro

1 hour ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I think you are missing the point. Are you saying that an assistant coach could be fine with not being allowed interview for a job (a chance to have a job) because they have a chance to keep their current job? 

All I know is that I'd prefer to have the option of interviewing for a job and then finding out that I would be retained and turning down the first job. I would be very unhappy if I was not allowed to interview while there were openings and then told that I was no longer needed. 

My main point is that the assistants are under contract right now and Elway is doing what he thinks is in the best interests of the Broncos, as he should. We know sports are cutthroat businesses but this doesn't seem unusual or wrong.

If he doesn't hire a new head coach quickly, there are two groups of people who are going to remember this, and react to it: potential assistant coaches, and opposing GMs.  Potential assistant coaches will wonder if they could be held hostage in a head coaching change, and GMs will take it into consideration if Denver comes calling with requests to interview assistant coaches when they have a head coaching change.

15 hours ago, klos63 said:

Are they still under contract with Denver? Seems like he's looking out for his teams best interests.

Yes, they are under contract with the Broncos, and Elway is looking out for his teams best interests... well said

2 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I think you are missing the point. Are you saying that an assistant coach could be fine with not being allowed interview for a job (a chance to have a job) because they have a chance to keep their current job? 

All I know is that I'd prefer to have the option of interviewing for a job and then finding out that I would be retained and turning down the first job. I would be very unhappy if I was not allowed to interview while there were openings and then told that I was no longer needed. 

Sign a year to year contract for employment then... if you want the immediate flexability.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

My main point is that the assistants are under contract right now and Elway is doing what he thinks is in the best interests of the Broncos, as he should. We know sports are cutthroat businesses but this doesn't seem unusual or wrong.

33 minutes ago, B-Large said:

Yes, they are under contract with the Broncos, and Elway is looking out for his teams best interests... well said

Sign a year to year contract for employment then... if you want the immediate flexability.

I'm not disagreeing with either of you. Elway has the right to refuse interviews for any member of the Broncos staff that are under contract.

My point is many organizations give their staff permission to interview with other teams even though they could refuse. With everything that's been going on in Denver (really since Manning retired) that organization's reputation seems to be lowering from top tier to average. The news reports about Denver are not what a GM should be hoping for and I am not sure that Elway's choices are helping the situation.

4 hours ago, Chris from Rochester said:

This is why I don't like former great players as coaches/ FO guys for the teams they had success with.  Feels like it can tarnish legacies.  Imagine if Kelly was the GM in the height of the drought and flamed out. I much prefer the team ambassador/ media role for team legends

I don't know about you, but if Jim Kelly was our GM and he signed Peyton Manning and we went to 2 SBs winning 1, I'd say he was doing a bang up job. Even if we had some down years after that.

9 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Different owners and organization. 

I think the point is not whether the Bills job would be attractive to him, but how a GM denying interviews impacts that teams reputation. If Kugler is not interested in a job he should be the one turning down the interview.

It is no different than players under contract - you signed the contract and now you need to follow the obligations of that contract.

4 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

His guys are Rick DDennison and Frank Pollack. I assume he goes after one of them. 

Rick Dennison going to Denver and letting Kugler come here would be a nice thank you from Denver for paying his contract when we hired him 2 years ago.

• Like (+1) 1