Sean Kugler, Broncos OL coach not yet hired by TB, still looking?

Estro

40 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Are they still under contract with Denver? Seems like he's looking out for his teams best interests.

It's a short term win for Denver. You have to consider the reputation a team/GM has before you choose to go there. If you fire your HC and deny interviews for assistants until a HC is chosen and the team decides if you are still wanted, your reputation will suffer. Causing people to miss out on opportunities is not overlooked in today's NFL.

7 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

It's a short term win for Denver. You have to consider the reputation a team/GM has before you choose to go there. If you fire your HC and deny interviews for assistants until a HC is chosen and the team decides if you are still wanted, your reputation will suffer. Causing people to miss out on opportunities is not overlooked in today's NFL.

True.

32 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Meh.........I kinda' like the GM holding the coaches.....we've been screwed by losing good assistants in HC transitions before and hard to tell how many of them the incoming would have liked to keep.

I would assume that the new HC in Denver wouldn't hold Kugler if he wanted to come home.

The problem is NFL coaches have such huge egos and are incestuous. They’ll only hire “their” guys from some past connection. The norm is that good coaches are passed over for loyalty or whatever. Elway isn’t doing these guys any favor because they’ll undoubtedly end up on the street after a HC is hired, unless he’s going to dictate who his HC hires. Then they’ll be less openings for them. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, RochesterRob said:

Kids in Denver will be born, graduate college, and be close to retirement before they make the playoffs again. Bwah-ha-ha-ha.

This is damn near close to what almost happened with my kids

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, klos63 said:

Are they still under contract with Denver? Seems like he's looking out for his teams best interests.

Yes and they get paid whether they work or not which in my opinion is a key factor.  Assistant coaches could offer to release that obligation with ability to interview.

2 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

The problem is NFL coaches have such huge egos and are incestuous. They’ll only hire “their” guys from some past connection. The norm is that good coaches are passed over for loyalty or whatever. Elway isn’t doing these guys any favor because they’ll undoubtedly end up on the street after a HC is hired, unless he’s going to dictate who his HC hires. Then they’ll be less openings for them. 

I'm sure Kugler is under contract for 2019........he will be getting paid either way.

And I do think Elway is going to pick a HC who very much wants to coach/scheme like Elway would if he were coaching.

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I'm sure Kugler is under contract for 2019........he will be getting paid either way.

And I do think Elway is going to pick a HC who very much wants to coach/scheme like Elway would if he were coaching.

No doubt they’ll get paid. But I just don’t think these guys want it to go down that way. They want to coach in the NFL, not sit home on a coach watching the games on TV. 

28 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Possibly, other than Kugler, do we know of others with interview options? It's also possible some of these coaches are pretty happy to still have a chance to have a job with Denver next season. Either way, Elway doesn't want to lose good assistant coaches, can't fault him for that. Assistant coaches won't think twice to leave a team for another job, it works both ways.

3 hours ago, Estro said:

Denver media reporting multiple teams have reached out to Kugler to set up interviews, but Elway had denied the requests until the Broncos new HC has a chance to assess the current assistants.

High chance the Bills are one of those teams.  Guy was OL coach here back in 08.  Born in Lockport, NY.  Would he help our chances of landing Matt Paradis in FA?

Kind of a bad look for Elway to be holding assistants hostage when they dont even have a HC.  Really screws the coaches that the new coach decides he doesn't want, once all their other opportunities have been filled.  Seems Elway is really making Denver an undesirable place to play/work.

Anybody remember Kugler when he was here?  I dont. 

He always was an arrogant *******

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Im pretty sure that coaches who go to Denver in the future will ask for an out clause.

3 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

If the Bills really like him they should wait.

I bet Kubiak becomes head coach after they get their Rooney interview in. Maybe they rehire Mike Shanahan? Then they can bring Rick Dennison back, then Kugler is available.  

I'm not sure Elway will want Dennison back.  

3 hours ago, CommonCents said:

Matt Paradis broke his fibula, is that the same bone that Wood broke and then said it took him awhile to get right after? Just curious.

Fibula is the smaller bone that doesn’t bear as much weight. Breaking it sucks but it isn’t a terrible injury provided no muscle or nerve damage.

What makes you sure Kugler wants to come here?  McDermott fired Castillo after the three best starters on last year's O line left and SURPRISE our O line sucked this year.  The O line problems were Beane's fault as much as Castillo's.  So the track record for O line coaches here is, get used to the view from under the bus.

And look at all the premium talent on the Bills' O line now.  We've got..ummm... Sure, what a great spot for Kugler to come into.  Why would ANY O line coach want to come to the Bills?

7 minutes ago, Utah John said:

What makes you sure Kugler wants to come here?  McDermott fired Castillo after the three best starters on last year's O line left and SURPRISE our O line sucked this year.  The O line problems were Beane's fault as much as Castillo's.  So the track record for O line coaches here is, get used to the view from under the bus.

And look at all the premium talent on the Bills' O line now.  We've got..ummm... Sure, what a great spot for Kugler to come into.  Why would ANY O line coach want to come to the Bills?

Maybe because we have cap space and draft picks, and the most important thing we have to do as a team is improve OLine talent. It WAS ugly, but it has to get better in terms of talent. 

5 hours ago, Meazy26 said:

Kugler is my guy.

Does he run more of a zone blocking scheme with more mobile linemen (I would assume that if he was with Denver, they always seem to do a lot of that), or does he use more of a power scheme?