WR Duke Williams of CFL’s Eskimos Signs with Bills

LEBills

This guy looks like what we thought we were getting in Benjamin...a big, tall, open when not open contested catch player...

Just now, TaskersGhost said:

Having said that and much more that's in this thread, moves like this are not what is going to build a playoff-competitive team, namely raiding the CFL and waiver-wire.  We've gottan a few good players that way on McBeane's watch, aka "The Process," but thus far not one that has become an impact player.  

Most of their big-money free-agent have whiffed.  Benjamin, Lotulolei, both not unsurprisingly from Carolina are among the most prominent.  Hyde's been good and adequate at S but I wouldn't put him in the impact-player category.  

Their best moves have been via the Draft, just not enough of them, and that's where playoff-competitive teams are built.  Last season they turned 4 day-1 and day-2 picks along with the 1st pick in the 3rd round into two players when they could've had Edmunds with the 12th overall.  Not a very efficient use of their picks, but if Allen works out, as he had better for their sakes, then it'll have been worth it.  

Either way, they have one pick in each of the first three rounds this season, given all of their needs, I don't see how they get it done in time to save their careers in Buffalo.  Unless Allen breaks out like no QB that the Bills have ever had, I don't see "The Process" ending well at all.  

Benjamin was not a free agent signing he was a trade.

20 hours ago, eball said:

Doesn’t seem like a “process” guy but they have the culture so maybe he takes the chance seriously. Certainly has big time talent. 

https://nationalpost.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-eskimos/jones-eskimos-duke-williams-grows-up-and-steps-up-with-clutch-catches/wcm/1cbba9a3-a343-4f66-9397-439c3646496d

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Nice find.  I don't think McDermott and Beane are adverse to giving second chances, and I'm sure they do their research to make sure the player is making an effort to be a good soldier.  They kind of did the same thing with Foster, using a PS demotion to "wake him up" and it seemed to work.

I'm sure if Williams reverts to being a bad apple they will have no qualms moving on.  It's a nice move, feels like low-risk high-reward.

He looks like a TE- He can catch over the shoulder, can he run routes though? Seems like most of these highlights he gets a running start out of the back field and just runs a 9 route. But hey, cheapo, good idea, lets hope it works out, I like the creativity of the signing.

7 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’m cool with signing anyone.  Does seem like the whole character stuff is becoming BS when jobs are on the line though.

i just don't think it was ever as much of a deal as posters wanted to make it out to be. 

• Like (+1) 3

25 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

This guy looks like what we thought we were getting in Benjamin...a big, tall, open when not open contested catch player...

Benjamin was not a free agent signing he was a trade.

OK, I was waiting for that.  Way to leap-frog the point.  Point was that he was one of their higher-profile "non-draft" moves.  

The entire point is that McBeane has added almost nothing of impact-player caliber apart from the Draft where White, Edmunds, and Allen's status remains to be seen.  

Also, part of that point being, given that, why would anyone hang their hat on McBeane's/The-Process' methodologies in free-agency?  That's a foolish proposition, they've done almost nothing "game-changing" in that way whatsoever.  Obviously an inability to peg talent has at leaste something to do with that, otherwise would they A, have made that trade, B, paid Lotulolei that much money, etc.?  

43 minutes ago, noacls said:

Not trying to argue but their actions have been the opposite of everything you said so far in my opinion. This move reeks of desperation. I think this guy will be long gone before they get to training camp. 

No argument here, I never mentioned anything about the move just the "good character" BS some believe "the process" is all about.

Edited by ricojes
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

Way to leap-frog the point.  Point was that he was one of their higher-profile "non-draft" moves.  

The entire point is that McBeane has added almost nothing of impact-player caliber apart from the Draft where White, Edmunds, and Allen's status remains to be seen.  

Also, part of that point being, given that, why would anyone hang their hat on McBeane's/The-Process' methodologies in free-agency?  That's a foolish proposition, they've done almost nothing "game-changing" in that way whatsoever. 

Who pissed in your cheerios?

4 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I don't want anything to do with this guy after Mia Khalifa put him on blast.  That weak dick game stuff might fly in Canada.  The NFL is an A1 league. 

So i wonder if he knows Chad Kelly too hmmmm

Edited by YoloinOhio

28 minutes ago, TaskersGhost said:

OK, I was waiting for that.  Way to leap-frog the point.  Point was that he was one of their higher-profile "non-draft" moves.  

Also, part of that point being, given that, why would anyone hang their hat on McBeane's/The-Process' methodologies in free-agency?  That's a foolish proposition, they've done almost nothing "game-changing" in that way whatsoever.  Obviously an inability to peg talent has at leaste something to do with that, otherwise would they A, have made that trade, B, paid Lotulolei that much money, etc.?  

And so what? You make moves and sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Star will be fine. He was fine. He did what they wanted him to do.

If you are banging on them for the Benjamin move how bout praising them for Foster, MacKenzie, and Wallace?

5 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

And so what? You make moves and sometimes they work sometimes they don't. Star will be fine. He was fine. He did what they wanted him to do.

If you are banging on them for the Benjamin move how bout praising them for Foster, MacKenzie, and Wallace?

there's a certain level of microanalysis with the staff that's a bit over the top.  i want this staff to try to do whatever they can to improve this team.  if they don't work out, and they don't hurt the future of the team...so be it.  some posters are just looking to be angry.  one guy was still bitching about how they traded for coleman the other day.  who cares?

edit:  not picking on taskersghost who you quoted.

Edited by teef
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3