Should kids get participation trophies for playing sports?

Another Fan

45 minutes ago, SoTier said:

They know that the award isn't for them being "best" -- or even good -- but for them hanging in there and finishing something they started.

I recently experienced a strange phenomenon at work: One of the twenty-somethings mentioned that he should get a bonus for making it through December without missing a day of work.

While he does stand out as one of the few young'un's who didn't call in sick during the holidays, most of the older folks managed to show up everyday without much fanfare. I wonder when the reality of needing to go to work every single day actually sets in for adults? 30?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, unbillievable said:

I recently experienced a strange phenomenon at work: One of the twenty-somethings mentioned that he should get a bonus for making it through December without missing a day of work.

While he does stand out as one of the few young'un's who didn't call in sick during the holidays, most of the older folks managed to show up everyday without much fanfare. I wonder when the reality of needing to go to work every single day actually sets in for adults? 30?

Strange side note: One of the kids on my son’s AAU hoops team got recognized for never missing a day of middle school. Impressive stretch! The dad said “yeah, I never get sick either.” The mom said “well, except that time you died”. Dad says “of yeah, there was that.” He never gets sick, but he had a heart attack, died for a couple minutes and the paramedics got him beating again. I’d rather have the occasional sniffles. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

math/science weeds out very soon in school

i remember 5 major rubicons starting in sophomore year in high school, i made it to late undergrad before realizing I'm finished with hard electives for my Accounting degree.

Ah...a fellow accounting major!   I took mostly history and philosophy classes by senior year.  Needed to bring up my GPA from all those C's I got in accounting.

2 hours ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I wouldn't take them away from my own kid. Your kid though? I'd take their trophy, remind them that they're losers, and tell them Santa isn't real.

Well you might deserve an award for holding back and not kicking their puppy too.....

1 hour ago, unbillievable said:

What I notice sometimes is that there are occasions where the comment is just a joke that sometimes the older people dont get and they are accused of it being some 'millennial thing'.....

But there are also some that fully believe they should be awarded/rewarded just because they showed up.....

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

I think I was 22 and done with college.

Anyway... My father used to work on railroad.  What would piss off the younger generation (this was 1950s & 60s) on the railroad is... They would work the roster all year long for the older ones, then come Christmas... Would get bumped by higher seniority. The reason, that's when the freebies would flow, be given out... Like the Christmas ham, etc... That's how it was in the old days. So the old people were actually working the holidays!

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Ah...a fellow accounting major!   I took mostly history and philosophy classes by senior year.  Needed to bring up my GPA from all those C's I got in accounting.

Accounting was great, had 15 hours in class a week, didn’t really have to attend any, except for later seminars, just read the textbook.

14 hours ago, SoTier said:

I agree.  Not everyone can be a gifted athlete.  Moreover, winning and/or developing future professionals isn't the only reason to encourage young people to play sports.  At youth levels, sports really can foster/encourage/bolster comradeship, teamwork, perseverance, etc which are all qualities/traits that only help kids all through their lives.   The idea behind participation awards is to give kids positive re-enforcement, especial those kids who struggle. 

Contrary to the jackasses who keep complaining about participation awards, kids know when they aren't as good as some/most of the other kids.  They also understand winning and losing.   They know that the award isn't for them being "best" -- or even good -- but for them hanging in there and finishing something they started. 

What produces helpless adults is parents who never allow their kids to stand on their own two feet, to make their own mistakes or to take responsibility for their bad choices, especially when those bad choices are relatively harmless -- owning up to not doing a homework assignment or pilfering candy from a bodega. 

this is very well said.

Edited by teef

They just fired a local girls basketball coach because some players and parents said she worked the kids too hard. Her teams went to the state finals almost every year. I know her and she expects her kids to give 100% but she isn't abusive.

48 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

I guess the happy medium is giving out the trophies but honoring the best kids with the largest trophies.  How it was when I was growing up. Or is that even too much these days? 

we only know what we directly experience and from people we have face-to-face conversations with and trust

using any other source to learn about pointless things like this should be reduced by everyone

17 hours ago, Augie said:

Strange side note: One of the kids on my son’s AAU hoops team got recognized for never missing a day of middle school. Impressive stretch! The dad said “yeah, I never get sick either.” The mom said “well, except that time you died”. Dad says “of yeah, there was that.” He never gets sick, but he had a heart attack, died for a couple minutes and the paramedics got him beating again. I’d rather have the occasional sniffles. 

My father in law died seven times in one day. He was taking medicine that lowered your potassium, so he was prescribed a potassium supplement. Long story short, he was taken off the medicine, but the doctor never took away the potassium pill. Potassium levels should be about 4-5. 6-7 is dangerous, 8 should kill you. He was at a 9.5.

He was in a coma when we left the hospital, and they were getting ready to basically let my brother in law come down to Texas from South Dakota and say goodbye before they pulled the plug. We got a call from the hospital saying that he'd woken up. So we figured that was pretty good. We get in there, he's laughing. When I walk in he said "Get that damn Yankee out of my room!" Was in a Coma on Friday, that Tuesday, we took our regularly scheduled vacation to Austin. 

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 4:54 PM, Gray Beard said:

My kids got participation awards.   My daughter was never much of an athlete.  Music was her thing.  She looks back at those participation trophies and smiles.  They bring back memories.  She knew she was never going to play sports in school, so those trophies are all she has to remember her awkward forays into the world of athletics in her elementary school years. 

My son played on several sports teams, and was pretty good.  He even played a little in college.  He doesn’t have any use for those silly trophies.  

On ‎1‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 9:20 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yes.

Society today is raising hyper-competitive monsters too early.

We need to back away from.zero-sum game playing.

Yep... It's killing the system.

Not getting scurvy?  ?

It is different today then we were growing up.  Kids get competitive in a hurry because of a little thing called travel sports which didn't exist when we were growing up.  You got virtually no chance of playing high school sports(at least hockey/baseball/softball/basketball) if your not on a travel team by the time your in 6th grade unless your some untapped superstar prodigy.  My son is a very good athlete.  At the time he could crawl he had a ball in his hands.  My daughter who is a bit younger loves softball but she is really not travel material.  She actually got cut trying out for the 9U town travel team.  It makes me sad when to think she is never going to experience being on a high school team.   For the most part, I do see the good in travel sports, such as my son living up in WNY gets to practice up at his facility all year round if he wants to, gets to play between 50-60 games a year(between school ball & travel) which was unthinkable in these parts when I was a kid.  But make no mistake about it, the root of travel sports is pure greed, & people are getting rich off of it.    I am not a big fan of participation trophy's after say the age of 7 or 8.  It is not teaching the kids anything.  

22 hours ago, SoTier said:

I agree.  Not everyone can be a gifted athlete.  Moreover, winning and/or developing future professionals isn't the only reason to encourage young people to play sports.  At youth levels, sports really can foster/encourage/bolster comradeship, teamwork, perseverance, etc which are all qualities/traits that only help kids all through their lives.   The idea behind participation awards is to give kids positive re-enforcement, especial those kids who struggle. 

Contrary to the jackasses who keep complaining about participation awards, kids know when they aren't as good as some/most of the other kids.  They also understand winning and losing.   They know that the award isn't for them being "best" -- or even good -- but for them hanging in there and finishing something they started. 

What produces helpless adults is parents who never allow their kids to stand on their own two feet, to make their own mistakes or to take responsibility for their bad choices, especially when those bad choices are relatively harmless -- owning up to not doing a homework assignment or pilfering candy from a bodega. 

My son is not a gifted athlete.  Not in any way, shape or form.  He tried some: baseball, football, wrestling. 

For wrestling and baseball, he got participation trophies.   He knew he sucked at all of them.  He also never once asked to quit.  I knew it was tough on him and he understood the lessons that he was being taught by going through the season(s).

I've never had to make my son "not quit."  I allowed him (after discussion) to choose to no longer do something after a season was over.

He was part of the drama club for a few years (grades 4-6).  At their party after their performances, the actors/actresses/stage crew ... all kids involved ... got medals.  Nice ones.  They had the drama logo on each side, with the year.

I LOVED that they got those.  Great message.  They worked hard at something, building up to a couple performances and were successful.  They won.  If that doesn't deserve an award, I don't know what does.  I gave the drama instructors high praise, which they deserved.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

My son is not a gifted athlete.  Not in any way, shape or form.  He tried some: baseball, football, wrestling. 

For wrestling and baseball, he got participation trophies.   He knew he sucked at all of them.  He also never once asked to quit.  I knew it was tough on him and he understood the lessons that he was being taught by going through the season(s).

I've never had to make my son "not quit."  I allowed him (after discussion) to choose to no longer do something after a season was over.

He was part of the drama club for a few years (grades 4-6).  At their party after their performances, the actors/actresses/stage crew ... all kids involved ... got medals.  Nice ones.  They had the drama logo on each side, with the year.

I LOVED that they got those.  Great message.  They worked hard at something, building up to a couple performances and were successful.  They won.  If that doesn't deserve an award, I don't know what does.  I gave the drama instructors high praise, which they deserved.

My kids have trophies for piano and violin recitals as well as sports.  I always thought it was pretty cool.   It’s more unique to have a piano trophy than an AYSO soccer trophy. 

My son plays hockey and has a bunch of stuff.  The ones that matter to him are from when he actually won something like a tournament and one participation trophy he got when he was 9 when they team voted him most improved player.  The other participation trophies? Whatever.  The second place medals from tournaments? Whatever.

He also has a left taillight from a 2013 Mazda CX-9 on his shelf.  He won a tournament and played great all weekend.  After the final game, somebody busted our taillight for us. The one right next to the sticker with his name and number on it.  We assumed it wasn't accidental and made it another trophy for the weekend.

I'm 40 years old and received my share of unearned trophies in my day as well so let's not pretend this whole participation trophy thing is a new phenomenon.

Edited by That's No Moon
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

They just fired a local girls basketball coach because some players and parents said she worked the kids too hard. Her teams went to the state finals almost every year. I know her and she expects her kids to give 100% but she isn't abusive.

Please give us an update on the parents reaction when the new soft coach goes 6-10!   ?

22 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Working the kids too hard and being abusive are two different things.

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Gugny said:

Problem with that theory is, it breeds future disappointment. Why? Because there are times in the real world that you can bust your hump at something and still not succeed. Hard work matters, but it's not the only thing. Success matters.

1 minute ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Problem with that theory is, it breeds future disappointment. Why? Because there are times in the real world that you can bust your hump at something and still not succeed. Hard work matters, but it's not the only thing. Success matters.

That's only a risk for children whose parents don't prepare them properly.  I've made my son well aware of the fact that life isn't always "fair."  Generally speaking, the problem (as you stated) is that some kids grow up with a sense of entitlement.  Those kids aren't being properly prepared for real life.

All of this boils down to parenting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1