Whose renewing seasons?

vanhalen26

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

*****..do you and @LeviF91 every bring your own stuff ..or do you just plan to mooch at all tailgates!!!!

I brought cash, but I found out it was old fashioned and apparently invalid???  Who knew? 

It is difficult if you're from out of town and operating from a hotel room, but I’ll try harder next time.

(As far as you know. ?

In Nashville I showed up just in time to Uber to the stadium. My son was not a great advance planner that day. 

Edited by Augie

I say this as someone who has never bought season tickets for any team. But do you have a deadline to renew? If so what's the deadline? If I were buying tickets I would personally wait to see the teams off-season moves before renewing (at least free agency.) But then again I am cheap and hate spending money to see a bad team play. 

4 hours ago, CodeMonkey said:

Wouldn't it be pretty foolish for people who had seasons for some or all of the decades of suck to give them up now when they can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel (and for once it isn't the headlight of a oncoming train)?

I've had tix since '85 so I've seen the terrible, the great and the bad again. I'm holding out for one more year. I've been saying that since 2005. But DW talked about next year after the last game so I guess we'll be going for another year. Those 3 hour drives can get mighty long when you are 60+ yrs old though.

Ed

20 minutes ago, fasteddie said:

I've had tix since '85 so I've seen the terrible, the great and the bad again. I'm holding out for one more year. I've been saying that since 2005. But DW talked about next year after the last game so I guess we'll be going for another year. Those 3 hour drives can get mighty long when you are 60+ yrs old though.

Ed

man, I would kill for a 3 hour drive!

On 1/6/2019 at 6:47 PM, Peter said:

My family had been season ticket holders since the inception of the franchise.  I continued the season tickets after my Dad died even though I have been living down here in Miami since that time.  I continued the season tickets for another 21 years until last year.  I decided not to renew for two primary reasons:

1) As an out-of-town season ticket holder, all I wanted to do was break even on the games that I could not attend.  For the first time ever, I lost money on the tickets in 2017.  I could not even sell the tickets to the 2017 home opener against the Jets even though I lowered the price to the lowest I could on the NFL Ticket Exchange.  You also will recall that tickets to the Colts game in December that year were going for $6 on StubHub for example.  It was and continues to be a buyer's market.

2) When I was debating whether to renew before this past season, I clicked on the account manager link at BuffaloBills.com and the terms of the season ticket holder agreement popped up for the first time.  It provided that, if I renewed, I would have to indemnify the Buffalo Bills and the NFL for anything anyone did who used my seats. I called the Bills about this to complain.  

In short, it made no sense for me to continue to purchase Bills season tickets if I was going to lose money on the deal . . . and, to add insult to injury, I would have to agree to indemnify the Bills and the NFL for anything that some drunk might do - even though the Bills and the NFL get a piece of the action on the NFL Ticket Exchange and I had no control over who bought the tickets.

It was a VERY difficult decision to give up tickets that our family had since the inception of the franchise.  I am pretty sentimental to begin with and one of the reasons I kept the tickets all these years was that I felt a civic duty to do my part to show any owner that might come after Ralph that there was support for the Bills.

I periodically checked the secondary market this past season to determine whether I made a good financial decision.  I paid special attention to section 112 (where we had seats).  It is clear that this past year was a buyer's market as well.  I suspect that it will continue to be a buyer's market and that it makes sense for me to just buy tickets when I can travel to Buffalo for a game.

Similar situation, though not since the team's inception. My father got seasons back in '77, and I've kept them in the family. I've thought similar things as you say above, but I'm not ready to give them up yet. Plus it took me most of this time to finally get seats near midfield on the Bills side!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BUFFALOBART said:

When I lived in Ra-Cha-Cha, I used to travel to Buffalo via rt. 33. It's been so long, I can't remember the exact roadmap. You might profit from taking the back roads, since the Thruway is a nightmare

Yea I have friends who have done that. Truthfully the traffic really is at it's worst once it gets dark people lose their minds. Sept/Oct games were never the problem its Nov/Dec travel wise. The Jags game in 2016 right after Thanksgiving took 3 hours thanks to all the people traveling home mixed in the game.

• Like (+1) 1

While I had a season ticket with my dad and his friend for 3 years when I was a kid (1973-75), I joined a group that bought 6 season tickets as an adult in 1986. I'm the only one left in the group and have been down to 4 seats for the last 10 years. Got to go to 2 Super Bowls through the ticket lottery which was very cool. 

It's getting tougher every year to fill them almost regardless of the team's performance. Our daughter loves the Bills, she goes to many games with me but is a junior in HS so she will be off to college in 2020. Our son (14) loves watching football but mostly watching on TV at home where he can watch multiple games.

I am going to renew, but am on the fence on renewing 4 or 2 seats. I hate giving any up (we're 9 rows from field around 35 yard line on Bills side). The game is made for TV and the broadcasts are more and more innovative. The money generated through the TV contract is so much higher than ticket revenue that at some point the revenue ticket sales generates will be way down the list in terms of importance. 

If the Bills average ticket costs $100 (just to do simple math) and sell 70,000 seats to 8 regular season games that's $7 million per game and $56 million per season. The home team only keeps 60%, the other 40% goes into revenue sharing. Meanwhile the total TV money for the league is now closing in on $10 billion or around $300 million per team. 

20 minutes ago, BUFFALOBART said:

Our tailgate group has a post game grill & deep fry. We don't budge, until the traffic is down to a trickle. A few of the guys are from Middleport..

I wouldn't mind staying after and hanging but the wifey likes to get going quick. The one time we did stay was after the Packers 14 win. Had to celebrate it was surreal that night.