UB’s Tyree Jackson has declared for the NFL draft

YoloinOhio

I think it’s a good decision personally. This QB class is so weak that someone is going to take him. Next year’s class looks a lot tougher. This is just a down year for the position. He has raw physical tools. In the mid to late rounds you are probably looking for a “toolsy” prospect instead of a “pro-ready” guy like Peterman.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

I think it’s a good decision personally. This QB class is so weak that someone is going to take him. Next year’s class looks a lot tougher. This is just a down year for the position. He has raw physical tools. In the mid to late rounds you are probably looking for a “toolsy” prospect instead of a “pro-ready” guy like Peterman.

Peterman was drafted in the 5th round as an at best backup prospect I see Jackson being drafted lower than Peterman. I wish him the best. He had a good college career but I was disappointed in his last year because he didn't seem to advance his game. That was telling. I wish him the best. 

23 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Peterman was drafted in the 5th round as an at best backup prospect I see Jackson being drafted lower than Peterman. I wish him the best. He had a good college career but I was disappointed in his last year because he didn't seem to advance his game. That was telling. I wish him the best. 

This class is not good though. If you had a choice to take a guy late that has limited upside or a lottery ticket which way would you go? I’m buying lottery tickets late. I’d much rather draft a guy like Tyree that develops or washes out than a guy that will never be better than bad. You can find a zillion guys on the street to do that if you need it. The Bills added Barkley and Anderson off the street and both were better than Peterman. Don’t bother with guys like him or Levi Brown or Gibran Hamadan. Buy lottery tickets because you can always find a competent back-up. 

Edited by Kirby Jackson

2 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

This class is not good though. If you had a choice to take a guy late that has limited upside or a lottery ticket which way would you go? I’m buying lottery tickets late. I’d much rather draft a guy like Tyree that develop or washout than a guy that will never be better than bad. You can find a zillion guys on the street to do that if you need it. The Bills added Barkley and Anderson off the street and both were better than Peterman. Don’t bother with guys like him or Levi Brown or Gibran Hamadan. Buy lottery tickets because you can always find a competent back-up. 

I have no problem using a fifth round pick on a qb who you believe can be a backup qb in this league. If I am going to use a lottery ticket pick I would use it for another position such as running back or even DB or a small school prospect with tools for those other positions who are more likely to hit the jackpot for you. I'm comfortable in saying that I believe that Peterman will turn out to be drafted higher than Jackson. 

7 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I have no problem using a fifth round pick on a qb who you believe can be a backup qb in this league. If I am going to use a lottery ticket pick I would use it for another position such as running back or even DB or a small school prospect with tools for those other positions who are more likely to hit the jackpot for you. I'm comfortable in saying that I believe that Peterman will turn out to be drafted higher than Jackson. 

We disagree on the backup QB as a draft pick at this point. You can throw a rock and get a guy to fill that role. As an example, if one of these QBs went out now and his team needed a guy they could add Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler or Matt Moore. Every one of those guys is WAY ahead of where a young backup is. You don’t need to waste a late round asset on a low ceiling QB. It is a terrible strategy. Either go for a guy with the tools to eventually play or fill out the back of your roster with guys that will contribution special teams. 

We will see I guess but I doubt it. It will take one team to look at Jackson’s raw skill set and take a swing on developing him. I’m thinking he goes late 3rd to 4th. He is Cardale Jonesish. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

We disagree on the backup QB as a draft pick at this point. You can throw a rock and get a guy to fill that role. As an example, if one of these QBs went out now and his team needed a guy they could add Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler or Matt Moore. Every one of those guys is WAY ahead of where a young backup is. You don’t need to waste a late round asset on a low ceiling QB. It is a terrible strategy. Either go for a guy with the tools to eventually play or fill out the back of your roster with guys that will contribution special teams. 

We will see I guess but I doubt it. It will take one team to look at Jackson’s raw skill set and take a swing on developing him. I’m thinking he goes late 3rd to 4th. He is Cardale Jonesish. 

Cardale Jones played in a big time program while Jackson didn't. I believe you are over-valuing Jackson's draft status. I stand by my prediction that Jackson will be drafted at a lower spot than Peterman. That's how I see it. Don't get me wrong I wish Jackson the best. Without a doubt he helped elevate the UB program. 

Draft Him AND Anthony Johnson... Our QB room consists of a suspect backup, an old and not-so-wily veteran, and a rookie who's development is uncertain.

This offense needs to be able to put a different product on the field, in the event the current one flops.

5 hours ago, Just Joshin' said:

Not an expert but seems like a bad decision.  

Worth a camp arm for the Bills as UDFA?

I wouldn't, but good luck to him. But yes on Anthony Johnson.

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I will say this much...........I think he was more likely to HURT his stock transferring to and playing in the SEC.

He's not even SEC ready let alone NFL ready.

I agree. 

2 hours ago, bbb said:

I'd be shocked. I wonder if Todd McShay is consulting him?

Edited by PromoTheRobot

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.