attendence should picks up next year

gjv001

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Green Bay , no dome

New England , No dome

Chicago, No dome 

Pit, No dome 

football is meant for the elements. Men were made in the frigid temperatures at the rock pile and at the Ralph

Dont like the cold, don’t go... but the last thing Buffalo needs is a dome 

Agreed.  I wasn't disputing this, I was suggesting what I believe the  NFL's logic is.  

Personally, I'd like to see the Bills never move from New Era Field, but I don't think the league will allow it (4 of the 10 games I've attended were after Thanksgiving, too).  MY point is that the league will point to the old, open air stadium as the reason for half-empty games, and say that for the Bills to remain viable in Buffalo, they need a downtown dome.  

11 hours ago, Virgil said:

The majority of our home games were after we were eliminated.  If we were in the hunt, it would have made a big difference. 

Not really. We actually made the playoffs in 2017 and those last games weren't sold out.

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Green Bay , no dome

New England , No dome

Chicago, No dome 

Pit, No dome 

football is meant for the elements. Men were made in the frigid temperatures at the rock pile and at the Ralph

Dont like the cold, don’t go... but the last thing Buffalo needs is a dome 

When I was a kid at the Rockpile, scheming to stay warm was half the fun. Newspaper in your boots, hot bullion in the thermos (those were the days!), as may layers as you need. Bruce in short sleeves in the Glory Days made a statement. The older I get the more torn I become, but football is an outdoor sport.

I may change my mind in the morning.   ?

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

When I was a kid at the Rockpile, scheming to stay warm was half the fun. Newspaper in your boots, hot bullion in the thermos (those were the days!), as may layers as you need. Bruce in short sleeves in the Glory Days made a statement. The older I get the more torn I become, but football is an outdoor sport.

I may change my mind in the morning.   ?

The older I get I don’t like sitting through the cold that much either but it doesn’t bother me  at the core

The beautiful game of football is beautiful because it’s an outside sport ... in all weather 

• Like (+1) 1

Late season games have always been a tough sell. You can blame it on the team quality, but this was the case even in the glory years when the team was doing well. That was before giant flat screen TVs and HD quality pictures in the comfort of your home or an establishment. A covered stadium might be anathema to some , but the well heeled customer the modern NFL caters to probably doesn’t want to sit in the cold in a spartan facility to watch games amongst drunken college kids. Ticket sales aren’t as huge a deal as they once were because of the huge TV money. That’s divided equally. But for a team to pad their bottom line, they need increased local revenue from expensive seating that stays with the home team. As for the general seating that is split 60/40 with the away team, the other owners don’t love the tiny chunk of $$ they get from a trip to NEF. Somethings going to change in the not too distant future, and it may be to the chagrin of some fans. 

The lower attendance is across the board in the NFL, with streaming now so popular. Sure attending games is fun, but so is a house full of friends and family, eating & drinking throughout the game, going to the john or stepping out on the patio for a smoke during commercial breaks and being out of the elements. It’s also waaaay more economical.

I won’t say my stadium ventures are over, but I prefer the house.

19 hours ago, klos63 said:

Interesting that Washington had the worst % of capacity, they always had a mile long wait list to get season tix. Buffalo was 5th worst. Not good for the self proclaimed greatest fans in the league.

Oh come on now.  Are you really suggesting the Bills don't have one of the best fan bases in the NFL?  The schedule makers did them no favors backloading the home slate, and with a 2-7 start (including a few blowouts) it's not difficult to see why fans weren't knocking each other over to get to The Cap in December.

12 hours ago, 17years&waiting said:

This is my thought as well.  Soon enough, the logic will be "IF they had a dome, then the stadium wouldn't be half-empty in December".

I don't think that matters.  It might to out of towners but not to anyone that lives or had lives through many winters up there.  

11 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I don't think that matters.  It might to out of towners but not to anyone that lives or had lives through many winters up there.  

Again, back to the original point: this is the NFL's Logic, not the logic of the average Bills fan (in my mind).  

It doesn't matter what the Reality is, if the NFL sees it, or construes it a different way.  Here's the logic, in my opinion, of the NFL:

-NFL schedules late November/December home games for the Bills

-Stadium is not full for December game 

-Stadium is not full due to weather

-NFL forces Bills to build downtown dome

-----------------------------------------

The NFL knows that November/December games are more poorly attended than earlier season games.  The NFL/Jerry Jones' of the league are also on record as saying the Bills need a new stadium in the very near future.  Therefore, they need to create a narrative that the Bills can't sell out the stadium.  So, for the past 3 seasons, there have been 3 December home games.  These games HAVE been more empty than early season games (I agree, this is due to a number of factors), but the league will stop at old, open-air stadium.  The narrative will be that the Bills need a new, indoor stadium, so that the team can sell out throughout the season.

Final point: the Bills probably depend more on ticket sales than the average team.  Buffalo/Rochester/Hamilton/Niagara Falls, etc. do not have the corporate footprint to prop up the team, like the big market, rich cities.  This will cause the league to force a new stadium with higher ticket prices.  The Pegula's have deep pockets, but the NFL isn't trying to bleed the Pegula's wallets dry, they are trying to bleed the wallets of taxpayers/fans/viewers/corporate sponsors.

(This is just my theory, I understand that it seems like a conspiracy theory, and maybe it is, but I think the NFL is trying to create and then push a certain narrative.  I think that narrative begins by pointing to empty seats late in the season, regardless of the cause of the empty seats).

20 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

Are you nuts,when that the last time that stadium was half empty?

Colts game in 2017.  

NFL doesn't care if it was an awesome game to watch, or if the fans who attended had a great time.  All they think about were the 30,000 empty seats that didn't pay for parking, or food, or beer, or didn't visit the Team store, or didn't visit the indoor restaurant and order food (which New Era Field doesn't have, making it the root of the problem here).

3 minutes ago, 17years&waiting said:

Again, back to the original point: this is the NFL's Logic, not the logic of the average Bills fan (in my mind).  

It doesn't matter what the Reality is, if the NFL sees it, or construes it a different way.  Here's the logic, in my opinion, of the NFL:

-NFL schedules late November/December home games for the Bills

-Stadium is not full for December game 

-Stadium is not full due to weather

-NFL forces Bills to build downtown dome

If that’s what the NFL wants then they should pay for 50% of all new stadiums 

If they are serious then they should step up. 

On 1/6/2019 at 11:36 AM, LabattBlue said:

I’m really surprised Pegula doesn’t push for more early season games.  I think the last 2 seasons(or 2 out of 3), the Bills have had 3 home games in December.  Tough sell when the team is doing well...almost impossible when the team is average to below average. 

I think he has but league has been punishing him for not making changes they want and using excuses that other stadiums are being used more for other events.  I think Peg should get some big events at the stadium in December several weekends - demolition derbies, hockey, college events - whatever he can find even if he needs to sponsor - and magically not as many Sundays are available as home games in December.

On 1/6/2019 at 11:27 AM, klos63 said:

Interesting that Washington had the worst % of capacity, they always had a mile long wait list to get season tix. Buffalo was 5th worst. Not good for the self proclaimed greatest fans in the league.

someone needs to slap her in the head.

The Deadskins have admitted BSing about their so called waiting list