Only Eight NFL coaches have been with their current team for five seasons or more.

A coach must deserve the right for continuity. Owners and fans don't want to lose several years waiting when he starts to give results. Two seasons is enough to asses the future under this coach. For example Rex Ryan in Bills - after 2 seasons everybody understood that no 3rd season is required to realize he is trash.

After 2 seasong under McBeane we still don't understand his future ceiling. This season was weak. But the fact he has stopped 17-years drought in his 1st season is strong trump for him.

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I don't think, even if there are 8 teams who regularly win 11 games, that the coaches of those teams are for the most part as significant a factor as the Quarterbacks. If we looked at the AFC over the last 10 years the only teams who would average 11 wins are the ones QB'd by Brady, Big Ben and Peyton Manning. John Fox averaged 12 wins a year the 3 years he had Peyton Manning in Denver. After he was fired and ended up in Chicago he averaged 5 wins. 

I am not going as far as saying that Head Coaches don't matter. But the common thread between teams who are consistent contenders is the Quarterback not the coach.

The analysis is true if you substitute QB for coach.   The point being that are lots and lots of decent head coaches.  And a handful of consistent winning coaches, Payton, Tomlin, Andy Reid Bellicheck john harbaugh .  The difference in win/loss impact among the Gases, Gaileys Marrones, Garrets Ryans and Bowles has demonstrably been negligible over time.  This is why owners turn over coaches relatively quickly.  Doug Pedersen seems to have shown a spark.  Frank Reich is defying expectations.  Maybe they are part of a new wave consistently winning coaches.  If winning championships is the goal, then hanging on to a Marvin Lewis for fear of getting a Hue Jackson, doesn't seem to pan out. Lots and lots of mediocre guys available all the time. 

50 minutes ago, PlayoffsPlease said:

The analysis is true if you substitute QB for coach.   The point being that are lots and lots of decent head coaches.  And a handful of consistent winning coaches, Payton, Tomlin, Andy Reid Bellicheck john harbaugh .  The difference in win/loss impact among the Gases, Gaileys Marrones, Garrets Ryans and Bowles has demonstrably been negligible over time.  This is why owners turn over coaches relatively quickly.  Doug Pedersen seems to have shown a spark.  Frank Reich is defying expectations.  Maybe they are part of a new wave consistently winning coaches.  If winning championships is the goal, then hanging on to a Marvin Lewis for fear of getting a Hue Jackson, doesn't seem to pan out. Lots and lots of mediocre guys available all the time. 

Even of the consistently good coaches most seem to have seasons that are underwhelming. Being that the average coach would go 8-8 I wonder if even good coaches are being let go for not being great as opposed to being mediocre.

3 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

..DEAD on necessity that McBeane MUST address the big picture....screw this "nepotism or good 'ol boyz" network........why should there be a double standard for evaluating PERSONNEL?.....personnel is personnel whether players, coaches, FO staff, etc........they are ALL on the payroll.....if you're going out to get the best possible PLAYER personnel, don't you want the best possible coaching personnel developing them?....as an aside, becomes an irritant for OTAG to hear this whining about how OBD coaches are "poor victims of lousy personnel".....seriously want me to believe we have 53 SLUGS (except for a few) making $170 mil a year?...isn't the sign of a GOOD coach one who molds, trains, develops and continually corrects player personnel, developing a scheme that plays to their strengths and masks their weaknesses......sorry bud, but NONE of these "Three Amigos" canned are worth 47 cents for a sympathy card IMO.........

You kind of lost me here Old Time. I was referring to the head coach and GM, who just acted upon what you were talking about by losing 3 coaches. They're constantly fiddling with the roster and trying to improve it.  Hell, they even got rid of their number 1 and 2 receivers to change things up when it wasn't working. They also had a huge dead money situation they had to be cleared up and it's done. So I don't quite know what you're getting at here as it relates to my original post.