Playoffs and defense

oldmanfan

19 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

The NE/SEA Super Bowl had 52 total points. NE/ATL 62. NE/PHI 74. No one is saying D is meaningless, just secondary by a LOT. Your usage of NE for your argument is proof, they’ve been working around getting torched on D for at least 10 years. 4 games against the jets and Bills might make there overall numbers look better, but most people know they’ve been Swiss cheese on D for years

Most people would probably be wrong then. What years were they "Swiss cheese"? I looked back to 2014 and since then they've been in the top 10 in fewest points per game except one year.

Their HC IS a pretty smart D coach you know. 

On 1/5/2019 at 11:29 PM, Jrb1979 said:

What I saw was the team with the pocket passer looked the best of all three. Mobile QBs aren't long for this league. I expect Dallas to lose to either the Rams or the Saints. 

Why does it seem so many Bills fans yearn for the days of defense?

Because we have no problem building a good one. 

1.) Coaching

2.) QB 
3.) Defense

Those are the three ingredients to success in the NFL, in order. You could make the argument that #s 1 and 2 could be flipped, but those are the three things you need. 

The Bills appear to already have two of the three. If the third falls into place, here we go!

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Logic said:

1.) Coaching

2.) QB 
3.) Defense

Those are the three ingredients to success in the NFL, in order. You could make the argument that #s 1 and 2 could be flipped, but those are the three things you need. 

The Bills appear to already have two of the three. If the third falls into place, here we go!

100%.  Couldn't agree more.  

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Because we have no problem building a good one. 

A top rated defense doesn't get you far anymore. The 2 best defenses that were in the playoffs both were one and done. I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts and the Saints make it to the Superbowl. 2 teams with good, not great defense but 2 really good offenses. 

8 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Most people would probably be wrong then. What years were they "Swiss cheese"? I looked back to 2014 and since then they've been in the top 10 in fewest points per game except one year.

They have improved some the last two years. But have still given up 30 or more points 25 percent of the time.

Nobody is afraid of that defense, haven't been for years. Its acknowledged widely that they are carried by Brady. 6 games against the AFC east does not a defense make.

Interestingly, this year's D improving can be linked to Brady slowing down and the Pats running more, and not many see them as an sb favorite, because the offense isn't as good 

To take my pats point a bit further..

5 wins against the afc east this year-41 total points allowed so 8 ppg 

all other games- 6-5 record 284 total points allowed or just under 26 per game 

The defense is a mirage 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I.E., make every unit on the team outstanding!  LOL  I guess that can work...if you eliminate the cap. 

"Trenches" and "win the line of scrimmage" and "defense wins championships" are trite, old fashioned, and now out of date fanisms.  

They don't matter if you can throw the ball.

I am SO looking forward to the colts pimp-slapping KC this week.

It's not an either or thing is a both thing.  And most of the teams in the playoffs actually have good defenses anyway.  Some may not be as good as others, but every team in the playoffs has a pretty good defense.  The issue is some of them do not have ENOUGH offense to compliment it or they are actually playing against another good defense that is good at what their offensive strength is.  It's not like the Eagles do not have one of the better front 7's in the league so the Bears offense was definitely going to struggle.  Same thing for Baltimore.  They had to play SD with a healthier Bosa this time around.  Plus SD switched up what they were doing.  The Colts defense has been great the last month of the season.  Dallas has a great unit.  So on and so forth.  The issue going forward is going to be which of these teams has enough offense vs whoever they are playing to compliment their defense.

Edited by NewEraBills
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I am SO looking forward to the colts pimp-slapping KC this week.

I'm not sure which of the big throwing teams loses this weekend, but I would bet that we do not see the Saints, Chiefs, and Rams all moving forward.  If I had to guess first in line would be the Chiefs.  Mahomes will be facing the playoffs for his first time,  their D is terrible and the Colts should be able to run the ball very effectively, and Reid will do some kind of coaching gag like he usually does in the playoffs.  Next guess would be the Rams.  I don't see a vet like Brees losing in the Dome against an Eagles team lucky to make it there.

Oh, and I think Brady goes down.

9 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

They give up a lot of passing plays between the 20s. They get very few red zone penalties called against them even though they commit tons of illegal contact and PI. Their opponents on the other hand get the dreaded offensive holding call ( biggest scam going in the NFL to any fan paying attention) Sadly, Officials look the other way when the defender has an eagle wing on their helmet, and it’s been that way for years. So their D is usually not statistically good except in the RZ, as the Pats* stopped retaining/ paying their top defensive players over ten years ago. Gilmore’s signing was an outlier for them, as there is a laundry list of top defenders they’ve let go over the years. 

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t see how KC could get pimp slapped.. beat narrowly perhaps but keep this in mind.

They never scored any fewer than 26.. in there 4 losses they scored 150 total points. Can they lose a shootout? Absolutely. Will they get pimp slapped? Absolutely not. For the record I think the colts are fast becoming over rated, I won’t crown them because they beat Bill O’Brien. I say KC by 2 scores or more 

2 hours ago, cgg716 said:

I don’t see how KC could get pimp slapped.. beat narrowly perhaps but keep this in mind.

They never scored any fewer than 26.. in there 4 losses they scored 150 total points. Can they lose a shootout? Absolutely. Will they get pimp slapped? Absolutely not. For the record I think the colts are fast becoming over rated, I won’t crown them because they beat Bill O’Brien. I say KC by 2 scores or more 

KC has a history of coming up short in home playoff games , but they’ve never had a QB the likes of Mahomes. More like Elvis Grbac and Alex Smith. They haven’t been blown out in many of those playoff games, theyve been more of the snakebitten variety. I agree they’re unlikely to be blown out. The Colts are a legitimate threat, but did any team show up less than the Texans on WC weekend ? Whatever happens, I hope there isn’t an AFC title game in NE a couple weeks from now. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/6/2019 at 12:52 AM, Ol Dirty B said:

The teams with the best offenses had byes.... I wouldn't read too much into it. 

You still need a defense but the first two games of wildcard weekend isn't determing the trend the game is going in.

In 1970.

How about the last 2 games of the weekend?.....