Playoffs and defense

oldmanfan

3 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

It's going to be a joy to watch the chiefs lose next week

I kind of feel the same way.  It's a copycat league and I prefer a 28-27 final football game type score.

I'm not a fan of 45-42 scores.  Once in a while is fine but I prefer my football balanced between all three phases.

I dunno. In the first game yesterday, what I saw was this: same old Texans vs. resurgent Colts. One team spinning it's wheels - an allegedly elite defense (tied for 4th in points allowed) that they've seen for many years as their comparative advantage in the NFL, therefore doubling down on it by doing things like drafting Clowney while glossing over other needs. Kind of exactly what the Broncos did with Vonn Miller and now Bradley Chubb. The Texans have been lucky in that Watson was really better than they had a right to expect, and Hopkins emerged as an elite player - those two things alone are enough in the regular season to (so far) have kept them in the playoffs. Meanwhile, the Colts got younger and better everywhere, realizing that if Luck came back they had the key component. They're good, they're peaking at the right time, and I think it's fair to say that they're old darkhorse team "nobody wants to face" in the playoffs now. Two teams on two different trajectories ....

The weird thing I don't think anyone has discussed yet how similar Houston is to the bills and how much that showed yesterday. On defense they're completely rwliant on front four pressure and take forever to adjust if at all.

Offense is scary similar too a porous online and a reliance on a special quarterback to do everything, they obviously also have an elite receiver but when he was taken away by a very simple defensive scheme the coaches had no clue how to take what was given to them all day long... the Tampa 2 made running lanes for Watson and left the underneath totally wide open. Coutee ran free all day, they figured it out in the 4th.

An immensely talented team undermined by awful coaches, hope it wasn't a crystal ball

Edited by cgg716

14 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Watched the early game and watching the Boys/Hawks now.  Defense always counts in the playoffs.

I said this all year and started a thread on it.  Funny, I got flamed by the “defense is dead” crowd as they stomped their feet and screamed that ONLY offense matters.  They were wrong then, and wrong now.  Defense is very important still and very much matters in the postseason.  

But here is what they read.  They see “defense matters still” and they twist that to read ONLY defense matters, which isn’t something anyone has said.  They are arguing ONLY offense matters and great defense like an area unnecessary to winning.

You will struggle to win championships focusing on just one side of the ball (defense or offense) and ignoring the other.  The “defense is dead, only offense matters” statement is grossly inaccurate.

6 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

But here is what they read.  They see “defense matters still” and they twist that to read ONLY defense matters, which isn’t something anyone has said.  They are arguing ONLY offense matters and great defense like an area unnecessary to winning.

Pretty sure you’re twisting their words much like your complaining they’re twisting yours.

I have never seen a post claiming only one side of the ball matters. 

9 minutes ago, MDH said:

Pretty sure you’re twisting their words much like your complaining they’re twisting yours.

I'm pretty sure I have.   In the playoffs defense counts, running game, passing game.  Balance.  

51 minutes ago, MDH said:

No offense, but you’re wrong about that. I started a similar thread in season and had people saying those things verbatim.  And also in other threads and shoutbox.  Word for word statements such as:

”Defense is dead”

”Game has changed, only offense matters”

”Our record versus Chiefs/Saints records price only offense matters”

”Fire McD and Beane” because they built our D back up before the offense.  

I mean it goes on and on.  Once defenses started shutting down those offenses and winning games in second half of season, it quieted a little bit.  But first half of season it was being spewed everywhere here.  And it’s still goin in even in this thread.

You need at least an above average defense to win consistently in the playoffs. When the Colts won in 2006 they had a upper mid level defense and an offense that was great but not nearly as great as it had been in past record setting years. In the NFL once you get to the playoffs you will likely face multiple balanced teams that bring good defense and good offenses to the game. If you don't have a balanced team you will perish. 

4 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Defense wins championships....if you have a good QB and an above average or better offense. 

Watching it right now Chargers versus the Ravens; seems like the Arena Football Gods stay home this weekend!

7 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

What a regular season hockey game has to do with the NFL playoff escapes any rayional explanation.  One team yesterday shut down the # 1 rushing team in the league and another yielded 7 points.  Pretty good D.

Others have also mentioned O line.  Also important as the Colts showed especially.

Do you need good QB play?  Sure.  Is a QB enough in the playoffs?  No.  D will always be important.  I think you'll see one of the teams next week that have been offensive juggernauts get beat by better D.   The Rams most likely just like last year.

Oldmanfan rocks! Right on brother!

17 hours ago, Idandria said:

Defense wins championships.

Wildcard weekend folks. The best offenses have not even played yet because they got the week off...

3 hours ago, iinii said:

Balance Grasshopper. The teams that are doing well and going far have balance. They play well on both sides of the ball. Dallas, the Chargers, NE,...

This as well.

4 hours ago, iinii said:

Balance Grasshopper. The teams that are doing well and going far have balance. They play well on both sides of the ball. Dallas, the Chargers, NE,...

^^this.

It's NEVER just one thing that makes teams successful.  You have to do it ALL well to make it to the show.

Top 5 scoring teams are all still alive.

Top 5 scoring Ds have all been eliminated.

Defense is still important but let’s not pretend it’s as important as O in today’s game. Rules changes over the years have made it so.

2 minutes ago, MDH said:

Defense is still important but let’s not pretend it’s as important as O in today’s game. Rules changes over the years have made it so.

Yeah the "super defenses" in Chicago and Baltimore lost on their homefields in the wildcard round.:sick:

The defenses mucked up the wildcard round a bit.........I expect a lot more action from here on out.:thumbsup:

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MDH said:

Exactly. You need EVERY bounce when you are built like that. The Bears have more skill on O than the others and that didn’t even matter. No margin for error, defense is clearly secondary, not meaningless, but secondary by a wide margin. Hopefully our coach starts to get it