Playoffs and defense

oldmanfan

It’s easy to say balance, but 7 of 8 teams went on a run after a slow start once they established and committed to the run, and their defense played lights out.  Yes, They need a balanced offense, but as MTC on NFLR stated yesterday afternoon prior to the game, this sounds like 1975 old school football.

This is why I give the Colts a chance against the Chiefs as their secondary sucks.  Luck can keep up with Holmes and had the second best QBR all year after Brees.

Especially for Reich, I hope they make it.  They are coaching very creative in the chess match.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Indianapolis didn’t win with defense. They got a big lead because of a super efficient offense, (that Houston couldn’t stop at all) and then they played a deep zone the rest of the way while Watson threw bad passes for three quarters.

And here I thought that a defense giving up zero points and getting their offense back on the field actually helped.  Thanks for setting me straight.

• Like (+1) 2

A good QB, physical trenches on both sides of the ball and elite level D is the formula for this team.

We just need to get more physical in the trenches and we will be there.

Wity that said Indy looks legit

Edited by Magox

24 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Indianapolis didn’t win with defense. They got a big lead because of a super efficient offense, (that Houston couldn’t stop at all) and then they played a deep zone the rest of the way while Watson threw bad passes for three quarters.

Im talking about what brought them to the playoffs since week 5.

Defense matters, offense matters, special teams matter.  It is the least insightful observation possible, that teams that play better win a particular game. Its a very silly straw man argument to suggest any thinks "defense doesn't matter" .  However, its an indisputable fact that first MAKING the playoffs, then WINNING Championships correlates with top offensive teams more than top offensive teams. 

The main thing that seems to change in the playoffs is the level of intensity and watching teams playing with "win or go home" desperation.  This is why it is impossible to judge players or coaches fully until the have a body of playoff experience.  Playoff football has the same rules, but it is a different game. 

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

The Texans D was absolutely fabulous, totally marvellous in letting in 21 points to the Colts lickety-split!!!! It was such a relief to turn the game off right there as it was officially 

garrrrrr-baaaaaaaaaaaage-thyme....

Great post OP, was the Canuck D just as superb in allowing that 5-0 loss to the Leafs?

clealry the D is dominant everywhere....

What about the Colts D?  Seems like they might have had something to do with that.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

What about the Colts D?  Seems like they might have had something to do with that.

Colts D was great.  Amazing how that team turned it around in a few short years after the Grigson dark period they went through.  Hopefully we're on our way to mimicking the Colts and Bears.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

That's the plan. I think they'll push some big money in free agency onto the offensive line, not to mention a few draft picks.

I think they might try in FA, but the lack of good linemen that are available is going to hamper that. Going to end up like the Jets with more extra cap space.

10 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

What I saw was the team with the pocket passer looked the best of all three. Mobile QBs aren't long for this league. I expect Dallas to lose to either the Rams or the Saints. 

I disagree, particularly concerning the Cowboys versus Sea Hawks game. 

*  BOTH offenses struggled to generate any points & yardage UNTIL their QB's started to run.  Designed runs by the QB's were the key to both teams putting points on the board in the 3rd & 4th quarter.

*  Wilson's scrambles led directly to several of his biggest pass plays and to points on the board.

*  Again it seemed to me that the definition of QB "accuracy" in the NFL is not what the Allen critics claim it to be.  I saw numerous throws by both Wilson & Dax that were not accurate by the classic definition where a ball has to be placed on the hands, chest high and in the center of the body.  NFL accuracy means getting the ball to a place where the receiver can make a play on it. 

9 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The teams with the best offenses had byes.... I wouldn't read too much into it. 

You still need a defense but the first two games of wildcard weekend isn't determing the trend the game is going in.

In 1970.

How far the Bears and Ravens advance if at all will be the most telling. Those are the two best defenses in the playoffs. And their offenses are hardly high scoring. Bears did completely dismantle the Rams offense earlier in December.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, cgg716 said:

I feel like this is misleading. Dallas won against a team that played to there tempo for some reason instead of letting Wilson win it. And the colts o-line was dominate, as far as their D, even the commentators continually mentioned how it is bend but don’t break, O’Brien is just an awful coach who can’t adjust 

Seahawks were #1 rush team in NFL and ran the ball 53% of the time obviously including Wilson. They don’t pass block well. They dont have a good TE. Agree they should have passed a little more on early downs. But it is Kurt schottenheimer calling the plays probably with Marty on FaceTime 

12 hours ago, Jrb1979 said:

What I saw was the team with the pocket passer looked the best of all three. Mobile QBs aren't long for this league. I expect Dallas to lose to either the Rams or the Saints. 

Why does it seem so many Bills fans yearn for the days of defense?

Because it wins! Sorry, not buying the arena football concept!

1 hour ago, Moose said:

What about the old “running the ball and stopping the run” philosophy as the winning formula?

Seems like the Colts did a pretty good job of both yesterday!

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

But but I thought it was 300 yards passing that won games????

Check with the K Gun Offense 1990 - 1993! 

The easiest way to frame this is actually this. Is there anyone who actually thinks that the Dallas/Baltimore model is sustainable or preferable?

Would you be more surprised by them and or Chicago missing next year's playoffs then KC/NO/LAR?

None of us has ever said defense is useless, but you are building yourself for one run with no margin for error. Why take this path? Look at the Vikings and Jags

Edited by cgg716