Build a dominant O-Line!

1 hour ago, WideRightRevenge said:

Here's Joe B's end of year grades .. first OL is #25 ... and 7 of the last 12 players graded are OL .. so yea ..let's get some new blood in there.

Season-long grades:
*(Minimum 200 snaps)

1) DE Jerry Hughes - 3.25 (1)
2) CB Tre'Davious White - 3.20 (2)
3) SLB Lorenzo Alexander - 3.19 (3)
4) WR Robert Foster - 3.06 (4)
5) DE Shaq Lawson - 3.06 (5)
6) NCB Taron Johnson - 3.04 (6)
7) WLB Matt Milano - 2.99 (7)
? S Jordan Poyer - 2.94 (9)
9) S Micah Hyde - 2.92 (8)
10) RB Chris Ivory - 2.88 (10)
11) MLB Tremaine Edmunds - 2.87 (11)
12) CB Levi Wallace - 2.83 (20)
13) DT Kyle Williams - 2.82 (14)
14) DT Harrison Phillips - 2.81 (12)
15) WR Isaiah McKenzie - 2.80 (13)
16) DT Star Lotulelei - 2.79 (15)
17) WR Zay Jones - 2.77 (18)
18) DE Trent Murphy - 2.76 (16)
19) RB LeSean McCoy - 2.74 (17)
20) DT Jordan Phillips - 2.72 (19)
21) QB Josh Allen - 2.68 (22)
22) DE Eddie Yarbrough - 2.68 (21)
23) WR Andre Holmes - 2.61 (23)
24) S Rafael Bush - 2.59 (24)
25) LT Dion Dawkins - 2.50 (25)
26) TE Jason Croom - 2.49 (26)
27) G Vladimir Ducasse - 2.42 (27)
28) TE Charles Clay - 2.42 (28)
29) RG John Miller - 2.34 (29)
30) LG Wyatt Teller - 2.34 (33)
31) TE Logan Thomas - 2.32 (30)
32) WR Kelvin Benjamin - 2.27 (31)
33) CB Phillip Gaines - 2.22 (32)
34) RT Jordan Mills - 2.12 (34)
35) C Ryan Groy - 1.94 (36)
36) C Russell Bodine - 1.90 (35)

thanks for this

The more time you give Allen to throw because he loves going downfield the more deadly he can be.  I know giving more time is what every QB needs but with Allen, he’s always looking for the homerun.  Those plays take time to develop and more likely a bigger play opens up when he scrambles.

Put most focus on offensive line so we can rub the ball again and let Allen continue to be aggressive downfield.  I would be okay with adding just one vet at WR in FA, focus the rest on the offensive line.  We need to start winning the trenches again.

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, OJ Tom said:

It nice to rave about the O-line, but Luck is the highest ranking prospect since Elway. It's the quarterback first and foremost.

And they haven't really proven much yet, I mean it's Wild Card Weekend, let's see how far they advance before proclaiming  "O-lines win championships!"

They've had Luck for many years and never did win much with him until they found a running game. That's the OL baby. If you can run block and pass protect you're going to win. Toss in an elite quarterback and you're almost unstoppable.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Not trying to make too much of this, but it's not you in particular I was asking the question to. I should have made that clear, my bad. I can go to the search feature and find others commenting on clapping and Mcclappy(sp?). Clapping, really?!?! I'll take that over the clown show we had for the previous 2 years. Again, not trying to single anyone out. 

Oh I do agree, but that Sir is a low bar indeed. :)

• Haha (+1) 1

A dominant OL helps--provided you have the QB first. Make no mistake: the Colts offense is great because of Andrew Luck.

Should the Bills upgrade their OL? Yes. Spend FA dollars so that you don't have to waste precious assets like the 9th overall pick on non-premium positions like LG.

That way you can focus the draft on premium positions like pass rusher, WR, and cornerback, where the top players rarely hit the open market.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

They've had Luck for many years and never did win much with him until they found a running game. That's the OL baby. If you can run block and pass protect you're going to win. Toss in an elite quarterback and you're almost unstoppable.

They won a wild card playoff game.

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

You've got that backwards; if you have an elite QB you're going to win, but add an OL and you can become close to unstoppable.

I mean, the 2012 and 2016 Bills are the epitome of great OL play, but they both finished below 0.500.

Again, that's not to say that the Bills shouldn't be aggressive in upgrading the OL; they should. It's just outdated thinking to say that the OL is the key to the offense.

I mean, Houston won that division with some of the worst pass protection in the game.

But let's talk upgrades for a minute: FA offers plenty of volume at guard, but not so much at C and RT. I'm hopeful that Beane can capitalize on the veteran trade market for OLmen that always seems to materialize prior to FA. I've suggested plucking Osemele from Oakland for a mid-round pick since he's got a huge salary and Gruden hates his own players. 

Ordinarily I'd say Daryl Williams is a great fit (plus there's the Beane connection), but I worry about his health status. 

One guy I'd love to grab is Ty Nsehke; he's been great in Spot duty at 4/5 OL positions and is a veteran. I wouldn't let him walk if I were Washington, but he'd be an outstanding 6th OLman moving forward.

Center is the tough get. It's basically Morse and Paradis. You could wait and see if someone like Maurkice gets released, but that's a long shot IMO. 

13 hours ago, Estro said:

Matt Paradis, is the apple of my eye, in FA.

We need a solid piece in the middle, C, was a dreadful spot for us in 2018.

He will cost a lot.  The highest paid center in the league currently make $10.5M/year, so you're looking at $11-$12M per for Paradis.

5 years - $60M is a lot, but I'd do it.

I would then follow that signing up with drafting a T and a G in the draft.  Bring in a bunch of bodies and hope to hit on 1 or 2.  

To become a better pocket passer, JA needs a better pocket. Can't have a pocket without a center holding his ground.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

You've got that backwards; if you have an elite QB you're going to win, but add an OL and you can become close to unstoppable.

I mean, the 2012 and 2016 Bills are the epitome of great OL play, but they both finished below 0.500.

Again, that's not to say that the Bills shouldn't be aggressive in upgrading the OL; they should. It's just outdated thinking to say that the OL is the key to the offense.

I mean, Houston won that division with some of the worst pass protection in the game.

Add to that Russell Wilson who has played and won with some of the worst o-lines in the game.

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I know right? It was like watching Orlando Pace,  Erik Allen, and Steve Hutchinson, Gene Upshaw, and Dwight Stephenson out there, all at the same time. :) :) :) 

Love your posts Brother but that was over the top. They were good to a little better than average.

20 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I know right? It was like watching Orlando Pace,  Erik Allen, and Steve Hutchinson, Gene Upshaw, and Dwight Stephenson out there, all at the same time. :) :) :) 

Love your posts Brother but that was over the top. They were good to a little better than average.

Nope. The 2012 Bills had a bust RB that averaged nearly 6.0 YPC for the season.

The 2016 Bills lead the league in RB yards before contact per carry.

Both units were dominant in their respective seasons.

But here's hoping we see something similar next year to help the kid.

15 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yup. And just as quick as that, the old "don't waste a Top 10 pick on a Guard" is out the window.

And yet they found a very good RG off the scrap heap.

It isn't really about "wasting" a pick on a guard; it's about value. Can you find a LG elsewhere? Is it common to do so? I say yes. 

Furthermore, is a LG a cornerstone piece of a franchise? If so, then sure, take him 6th overall. If not, then don't do it. Use that pick on a cornerstone type position 

• Like (+1) 1

My wish list

Cody Ford - G 

Matt Paradis - C 

Trent Brown - LT 

move Dawkins to RT or guard.  

New line would look like

LT - Brown 

LG - Teller 

C - Paradis 

RG - Ford 

RT - Dawkins 

Edited by Spielman

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

A dominant OL helps--provided you have the QB first. Make no mistake: the Colts offense is great because of Andrew Luck.

Should the Bills upgrade their OL? Yes. Spend FA dollars so that you don't have to waste precious assets like the 9th overall pick on non-premium positions like LG.

That way you can focus the draft on premium positions like pass rusher, WR, and cornerback, where the top players rarely hit the open market.

Well, the Colts did pretty much the opposite of what you're arguing.

They had many needs. They're defense is a work in progress. They could have used another pass rusher to go with Sheerd. They could have used another WR, like Ridley, considering that their WR corps consists of TY Hilton.

They also needed work on their Oline, even though they already had 2 1st round picks on it. Many would say something like "you can't waste all of your assets on the OLine".

But, they went with the "non-premium" position, taking a guard at no. 6. (Well, not just any guard). They compounded this by taking Braden Smith in the 2nd. They now have 3 1sts on their Oline, a 2nd, and a pretty damn good player in Glowinski.

Andrew Luck now looks like Andrew Luck again, in large part because he's given time to throw. And yesterday...pfft, on most of his passes he had enough time to cook lunch before throwing.

What they did yesterday was go against one of the best pass rushing duo's in the league, along with a D that hasn't given up a 100 yard rusher all year...and put them on their collective asses.

had they not made the investment in the OL, they aren't in the playoffs this year, much less dominating a defense like the Texans.

For all I know, Luck might not have made it through the year without an OL that can pass block so well.

Their plan most certainly worked for them.