Build a dominant O-Line!

2 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Building an OL is not something that's going to happen in one off-season.  The surface level view is that Buffalo use high picks and UFA and voila! we're good.

The reality is, a good OL group takes time to mesh and it's why OL play has suffered over the years.  Signing a Matt Paradis would be nice on paper but he's got to fit with what they're doing and how they're doing it.

The other issue is, from an economics standpoint, there's going to be a lot of demand for better OL and not much supply this off-season.  Lotta teams with plenty of cap room.    

Don't know about "time to mesh" as that sounds like fan-speak.

Good linemen have a habit of meshing magically right off the bat.  

We don't need a dominant O-line IMO; we need a solid, competent OL.  Right now we have what might be the worst in the NFL; that's not good enough obviously, but it doesn't have to be the best.  I wouldn't allocate that level of resources and capital to the OL.

8 hours ago, WideNine said:

Hopefully, watching the steady march of QB's that went on IR (Garappolo, Dalton, Smith, McCoy), and others that were knocked out of their line-ups (Wentz, Rogers, and his own veteran backup Anderson), as well as the steady stream of Buffalo RB's injured behind a line that couldn't open any running lanes brought home the fact that teams don't run the ball, or protect very well if they have a bad o-line.

Remember what happened to Luck? They beat him half to death. Now he seems to have a great OL and the Colts look like a Super Bowl contender.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Dopey said:

Ah, the ole McClapper reference. Still don't get the issue with McDermott clapping. Why is it such a big deal?

Maybe you are right. It might be me, and I'm being serious.

That said, he really should cut down on the clapping imo. It appears to be a nervous tick at this point. I have never seen anyone clap that much in any circumstance. That would be me if the Bills win a Super Bowl.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The Bills absolutely gotta' get better on the OL.

But I'm not sure they need to throw first round picks at the problem.

The Colts HAD to do whatever it took.........Andrew Luck was seriously busted up and needs to live in the pocket and not get hit.

Next year.........the opposing defense's GOAL will probably be to contain Josh Allen in the pocket more than to sack him..........they will want him to have to beat them from the pocket........the tape they review is going to show certain throws he couldn't make accurately and they will try to force those more than try to beat him into submission........it's a significantly different situation.   

The Colts also had an elite prospect sitting there for them at #6. Had Denver taken Nelson and left Chubb on the board the Colts would have taken Bradley Chubb they wouldn't have reached down the board for whoever was the next guard on their board. 

And that is kind of the point with the people who are desperate for an OL at #9 and pointing excitedly at Indy as a reason why. If the best prospect on the board when the Bills pick is Jonah Williams I am okay with them taking him..... but he is not the elite prospect that Quenten Nelson was and so if there is an elite prospect there at #9 at another position then the Bills should go kn that direction.

• Like (+1) 3

For 5 years they(Colts) left their franchise exposed.

The kid almost gets knocked out of the league permanently and they finally wake up.

Firing Don Jaun was the Bills first step in protecting our franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Dopey said:

Ah, the ole McClapper reference. Still don't get the issue with McDermott clapping. Why is it such a big deal?

That nickname will go away as soon as McDermott starts winning.  To some fans, it’s particularly galling to watch Sean clapping away while the stoic Belichick is making him look like a high school coach.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

When picking in the top 10 it is about taking the surest player.  I don't want a high ceiling guy that most likely never reach it such as Little.  We still have the combine and the interview process so maybe some guys will rise and others will fall.  I just have a feeling Jonah Williams is not going to fall to us.  Indy lucked out that the surest prospect in the draft last year was at a position of great need for them.  That seldom is the case for most teams.  Usually most teams have a satisfactory player at a position that jumps up as the best value at the slot they are picking at and nobody is offering anything close to a good package to trade out.

I’d be interested for the Bills to look at back ups from teams with strong lines and good coaching. If coaching is important, then one has to figure there are guys on those teams ready to show what they’ve learned. I have know idea where to look for those kind of guys.

13 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been posting this for 20 years. As much as we need blocking, don't count on it. A first round corner would absolutely not shock me. In fact if my life depended on making the right guess, I would expect  to say hello to the corner from LSU at #9.

McClapper passed on Mahomes  and Watson to draft a corner. Why wouldn't he pass on a blocker?

No he passed to draft the guy he wanted that was coming out the following year.  He also aquired a first round pick to move up the following year if necessary.

Here's Joe B's end of year grades .. first OL is #25 ... and 7 of the last 12 players graded are OL .. so yea ..let's get some new blood in there.

Season-long grades:
*(Minimum 200 snaps)

1) DE Jerry Hughes - 3.25 (1)
2) CB Tre'Davious White - 3.20 (2)
3) SLB Lorenzo Alexander - 3.19 (3)
4) WR Robert Foster - 3.06 (4)
5) DE Shaq Lawson - 3.06 (5)
6) NCB Taron Johnson - 3.04 (6)
7) WLB Matt Milano - 2.99 (7)
? S Jordan Poyer - 2.94 (9)
9) S Micah Hyde - 2.92 (8)
10) RB Chris Ivory - 2.88 (10)
11) MLB Tremaine Edmunds - 2.87 (11)
12) CB Levi Wallace - 2.83 (20)
13) DT Kyle Williams - 2.82 (14)
14) DT Harrison Phillips - 2.81 (12)
15) WR Isaiah McKenzie - 2.80 (13)
16) DT Star Lotulelei - 2.79 (15)
17) WR Zay Jones - 2.77 (18)
18) DE Trent Murphy - 2.76 (16)
19) RB LeSean McCoy - 2.74 (17)
20) DT Jordan Phillips - 2.72 (19)
21) QB Josh Allen - 2.68 (22)
22) DE Eddie Yarbrough - 2.68 (21)
23) WR Andre Holmes - 2.61 (23)
24) S Rafael Bush - 2.59 (24)
25) LT Dion Dawkins - 2.50 (25)
26) TE Jason Croom - 2.49 (26)
27) G Vladimir Ducasse - 2.42 (27)
28) TE Charles Clay - 2.42 (28)
29) RG John Miller - 2.34 (29)
30) LG Wyatt Teller - 2.34 (33)
31) TE Logan Thomas - 2.32 (30)
32) WR Kelvin Benjamin - 2.27 (31)
33) CB Phillip Gaines - 2.22 (32)
34) RT Jordan Mills - 2.12 (34)
35) C Ryan Groy - 1.94 (36)
36) C Russell Bodine - 1.90 (35)

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

That said, he really should cut down on the clapping imo. It appears to be a nervous tick at this point. I have never seen anyone clap that much in any circumstance. That would be me if the Bills win a Super Bowl.

Its a good day when the complaint about your HC is that he claps to much.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

I saw that. Obviously changing from Brissett to Luck matters too along with Reich but I agree, let’s get better up front!

And a defense that improved with the addition of possibly the Defensive Rookie of the Year...   NFL is a true team game and the Colts improved in all parts of the team including Coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

So it sounds like for the most part we think the value is defense and offense at where we pick isn’t going to the best value and likely a reach. 

How about Ed Oliver? I looked back a few pages and didn’t see anything about him. 

I know now he had that scuffle with his coach over a jacket. WTF. Do we think that incident took him off our board or would we consider him at 9? Dude looks like a monster. 

4 minutes ago, ganesh said:

And a defense that improved with the addition of possibly the Defensive Rookie of the Year...   NFL is a true team game and the Colts improved in all parts of the team including Coaching.

I know and Darius Leonard, great pick up. I know a lot of us liked him coming out of SC State

Edited by ChanticleerBillsFan

2 hours ago, mannc said:

That nickname will go away as soon as McDermott starts winning.  To some fans, it’s particularly galling to watch Sean clapping away while the stoic Belichick is making him look like a high school coach.

To those that feel that way, clapping and trying to motivate the team should be the least of their problem with coach. Jmo,

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Not trying to make too much of this, but it's not you in particular I was asking the question to. I should have made that clear, my bad. I can go to the search feature and find others commenting on clapping and Mcclappy(sp?). Clapping, really?!?! I'll take that over the clown show we had for the previous 2 years. Again, not trying to single anyone out. 

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Did he say it was a big deal?

Gruden got nicknamed "Chuckie" because he was constantly making contorted facial expressions whether the situation seemed to call for that level of emotional response or not............McD clapped incessantly/nervously in 2017 whether the play was good, bad or indifferent.   Hence McClappy or whatever. 

It was his MO.   Like Marrone with the use of the term "obviously".   Just a lack of self awareness wrt a nervous habit.    An awareness of your reactions/responses as a leader helps keep the message fresh and more constructive.    He seemed to do less of it this year.   

I just replied to Bill from NYC to clarify this wasn't meant to single him out. There are others who have an issue with it and say so. 

Gruden got the moniker because he actually looks like Chuckie when he contorts his face and it's funny.  as for 2017, he can clap his way to the playoffs any day to me. 

It all starts in the trenches on both sides of the ball if the O or D line doesn't do it's job the team is usually not very good . 

The Bills usually have one side doing good but not the other hopefully McD can change that !! 

Edited by T master