Build a dominant O-Line!

2 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been posting this for 20 years. As much as we need blocking, don't count on it. A first round corner would absolutely not shock me. In fact if my life depended on making the right guess, I would expect  to say hello to the corner from LSU at #9.

McClapper passed on Mahomes  and Watson to draft a corner. Why wouldn't he pass on a blocker?

Greedy would be an excellent value at slot 9.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been posting this for 20 years. As much as we need blocking, don't count on it. A first round corner would absolutely not shock me. In fact if my life depended on making the right guess, I would expect  to say hello to the corner from LSU at #9.

McClapper passed on Mahomes  and Watson to draft a corner. Why wouldn't he pass on a blocker?

I am with you on the tendencies of defensive-minded coaches to ignore their o-line needs. I think McBeane may actually buck the trend this year though, but I could see them grabbing a run-stuffing DT early as it is a deep position in the draft and the Bills are bad at stopping the run.

Hopefully, watching the steady march of QB's that went on IR (Garappolo, Dalton, Smith, McCoy), and others that were knocked out of their line-ups (Wentz, Rogers, and his own veteran backup Anderson), as well as the steady stream of Buffalo RB's injured behind a line that couldn't open any running lanes brought home the fact that teams don't run the ball, or protect very well if they have a bad o-line.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I am with you on the tendencies of defensive-minded coaches to ignore their o-line needs. I think McBeane may actually buck the trend this year though, but I could see them grabbing a run-stuffing DT early as it is a deep position in the draft and the Bills are bad at stopping the run.

Hopefully, watching the steady march of QB's that went on IR (Garappolo, Dalton, Smith, McCoy), and others that were knocked out of their line-ups (Wentz, Rogers, and his own veteran backup Anderson), as well as the steady stream of Buffalo RB's injured behind a line that couldn't open any running lanes brought home the fact that teams don't run the ball, or protect very well if they have a bad o-line.

I think defensive coaches live in fear of having a weak secondary getting burned.

Lots of hard work by a defense can be frittered away instantly, and repeatedly, if you have a weak cornerback. Like, the guy can just be picked on all game. 

This inspires them to keep a steady supply of young CB's ready to step in at all times.

Edited by OJ Tom

That has to be priority number one. I was listening to the radio before the game and they were talking about how Andrew Luck was 33/1 in the red zone this year, but the year before he was the most sacked qb in the league. Get the qb first and then build the line. I kniw he was great before, but overcoming his injury, having a great o-line frees up your head to make plays without the panic. Watson is really good, but he was sacked 62 times this year. With Brown gone and some injuries it hurt. You add a few o-line to Texans and they'll get better. If we can protect Josh so he has more confidence to stand in the pocket, and a weapon or two, it's an obvious recipe for success

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, OJ Tom said:

I think defensive coaches live in fear of having a weak secondary getting burned.

Lots of hard work by a defense can be frittered away instantly, and repeatedly, if you have a weak cornerback. Like, the guy can just be picked on all game. 

This inspires them to keep a steady supply of young CB's ready to step in at all times.

I think the Bills are pretty flush with young secondary talent right now, and will be getting some more back from injury next year.

You hate to draft for need, but the o-line "needs" some love and I fear that even middling o-line FA talent will likely be overpriced - Beane needs to find that sweet spot between finding a 1 or 2 solid veteran players and o-line talent in the draft that can be groomed.

• Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Dont count on it.  Nothing McBean has dones so far tell me they value OL.  I would expect some more budget signings like Bodine.  And certainly no top 10 picks.

Nothin in Bean’s ONE draft has told you that???  Come on...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I think the Bills are pretty flush with young secondary talent right now, and will be getting some more back from injury next year.

You hate to draft for need, but the o-line "needs" some love and I fear that even middling o-line FA talent will likely be overpriced - Beane needs to find that sweet spot between finding a 1 or 2 solid veteran players and o-line talent in the draft that can be groomed.

I certainly don't want them to use a high pick on the secondary! I'm just commenting on why CB's seem to be drafted by teams that might appear to have other , bigger needs.

I'm ALL FOR drafting an O-lineman with a high pick, and getting ahold of some veterans. I think the O-line is the Bills greatest need right now. My previous comments are regarding some fans here waxing on and on about how important the O-line is because the Colts won a wild card game.

The Bills O-line currently sucks. Get it to "above average" and it will suffice.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

2 of the Colts OL are rookies...

I don’t care where the Bills get them from, just get them from somewhere...

I am agreeing with you. I made that very point (Indy rookie OL) in a few posts.

I don't see fixing the OL in FA. Maybe 1 improvement at OL in FA is realistic. It's more realistic to improve WR, LB, DL in FA than OL.

Too many teams need OL, too few quality FA available, lots of FA money.

My point was that it may mean Buffalo drafts OL in Rounds 1,2 or 3 and 'reach' for RT, C or G in the draft this year.

It seems we are both ok with that.

What is your favorite OL in rounds 1 and 2?

At #9 I like:

Jawaan Taylor OT

AJ Brown at WR

plenty of DL and Edge to like at 9

5 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I don't see fixing the OL in FA. Maybe 1 improvement at OL in FA is realistic. It's more realistic to improve WR, LB, DL in FA than OL.....

I expect something like, 2 new players (probably a draft pick, and a FA) as starters, and another new starter from the guys already here. That is a pretty big turnover, especially with a new o-line coach on top of it.

Add a vet WR, a high draft pick WR, and probably a mid round RB and that's a new offense.

Edited by OJ Tom

3 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Their RG is a free agent after this season.. Glowinski.  Just sayin 

Addition for Bills, Subtraction for Colts!  Weaken our competition and strengthen our team! 

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by BuffaloButt

4 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Gotham Bill, This year is different because we have already drafted our franchise qb. If I had to bet my money it would be on him selecting one of the top defensemen linemen in this linemen rich draft class. (Defensive HCs have a natural bias toward the defense). Right now my inclination is to draft Jonah Williams and still bring in a free agent or two to fortify the OL. I would also like to get a tough between the tackles runner. The focus should be on the offense and putting Josh Allen in a position to succeed. 

Edited by JohnC
  • Like (+1) 3

Matt Paradis, is the apple of my eye, in FA.

We need a solid piece in the middle, C, was a dreadful spot for us in 2018.

He will cost a lot.  The highest paid center in the league currently make $10.5M/year, so you're looking at $11-$12M per for Paradis.

5 years - $60M is a lot, but I'd do it.

I would then follow that signing up with drafting a T and a G in the draft.  Bring in a bunch of bodies and hope to hit on 1 or 2.  

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I don't see fixing the OL in FA. Maybe 1 improvement at OL in FA is realistic. It's more realistic to improve WR, LB, DL in FA than OL.

Too many teams need OL, too few quality FA available, lots of FA money.

My point was that it may mean Buffalo drafts OL in Rounds 1,2 or 3 and 'reach' for RT, C or G in the draft this year.

It seems we are both ok with that.

What is your favorite OL in rounds 1 and 2?

At #9 I like:

Jawaan Taylor OT

AJ Brown at WR

plenty of DL and Edge to like at 9

I am not sure I have seen enough to justify any of the LTs going 9th overall, and not enough difference between Greg Little and Jonah Wlliams to justify one going well before the other...

Cajuste is another good option. Watched some tape of Yodny and had to laugh at the write up 3 scouts had (2 said he needed to improve in pass-pro, but was a dominant run blocker, the 3rd said his run blocking needed improvement, but he was a wall in pass pro - you wonder if they watched the same games). Either way he has upside, can be dominant, and could be a good fit for the Bills too.

There are more than a few solid run blocking RTs that should be available in rounds 3-5. I liked both OL Deiter and C Biadasz from Wisconsin.

Deiter has played LG, LT, and C - having those kind of Offensive linemen that can backfill other spots on the line are extremely valuable IMO.

Biadasz recently decided to return to the Badgers for another year so he is no longer an option -  he was a consensus best player available at the center position, the next best center available is Elgton Jenkins. He, and I think only one other center will be at the senior bowl so folks should be able to get a nice long look at him going up against good competition.

We could sink the money into FA Paradis who will be coming off of injury, but likely worth the investment if Elway and Co. don't want to pay him.

Nice write-up about Paradis and how interior linemen are more in demand and getting more $.

https://247sports.com/nfl/denver-broncos/Article/What-is-C-Matt-Paradis-monetary-value-to-the-Denver-Broncos--119564661/

4 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

Watching the Colts game right now once again they put the graphic up of the offensive ranking from last year of the Colts and then with the addition of their first round pick and additional upgrades, Luck's O-Line is night and day and they are dominant!  This has to be the focus of the draft and free agency. 

Did any Bills fan on this board need to see the Colts game to determine we need big improvements on the OL? 

Master of the obvious.

When you see an elite WR have a big playoff game will you please remind us that one of those would be helpful too?

1 minute ago, Estro said:

Matt Paradis, is the apple of my eye, in FA.

We need a solid piece in the middle, C, was a dreadful spot for us in 2018.

He will cost a lot.  The highest paid center in the league currently make $10.5M/year, so you're looking at $11-$12M per for Paradis.

5 years - $60M is a lot, but I'd do it.

I would then follow that signing up with drafting a T and a G in the draft.  Bring in a bunch of bodies and hope to hit on 1 or 2.  

Paradis is at the top of my FA wish list along with Anthony Barr OLB. Draft Jonah Willams OT in the first and in the 3rd draft Ross Pierscbacher OG. He’ll be playing in his 4th national championship game for Alabama. We instantly improve our OL, infuse youth and should allow for OL consistency for the foreseeable future. Give me a TE in the 2nd, RB in the 4th, use some picks to trade up into the 3rd or 4th to grab a WR. Look to add another WR in FA. 

On paper, we should see a better running game which will make Allen even harder to defend if the opponent has to respect our running game. LB’s would be Edmunds, Milano and Barr.

Excited to see what they do this offseason! Let’s go Buffalo!

10 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Did any Bills fan on this board need to see the Colts game to determine we need big improvements on the OL? 

Master of the obvious.

When you see an elite WR have a big playoff game will you please remind us that one of those would be helpful too?

Feel better? Good. 

5 hours ago, Returntoglory said:

Watching the Colts game right now once again they put the graphic up of the offensive ranking from last year of the Colts and then with the addition of their first round pick and additional upgrades, Luck's O-Line is night and day and they are dominant!  This has to be the focus of the draft and free agency. 

Luck did it without an O-Line many times.