QB Film Room returns

Buffalo716

It’s that time of year and QB Film Room is returning .

I have already started watching all the throws from the top QB prospects in this years draft and will soon compile my scouting reports 

I will do the top 5-6 . This is time consuming , so I will take a vote for the #5-6 guys and then add them to my Board

I am in the process of finishing up Drew Locke

I know that there will be the most buzz about the top guys, but I'd like some perspective on "projected" day 3 guys that the Bills might actually consider.  If you have time look at a small school guy Jacob Dolegala Central CT, or maybe Easton Stick ND State? Saw Stick today in the FCS title game and didn't think he was asked to do much via the air.

If you're looking for strictly the top 5 or 6, I would guess (in no particular order):

Haskins, Lock, Daniel Jones, Kyler Murray are the easy choices and then I think there's another group of Brett Rypien, Will Grier, and Jarrett Stidham.

• 3 weeks later...

To me this class has tiers....

Tier 1 - Franchise potential

Murray is the one guy who if he measures tall enough and convinces he is committed enough I think is probably a legitimate 1st round grade (though I still have work to do on him).

Haskins is a kind of borderline 1st/2nd round grade to me some good stuff on tape and some holes.

Tier 2 - Developmental potential future starters

Lock

Jones (lot work to do on his tape still)

Grier (also work to do on his tape but more in the re-watch territory)

Tier 3 - Draftable but backup ceiling

Rypien

Stidham

Finley

And then Tyree Jackson who is a total wildcard but is draftable on physical talent in the last couple of round. That is it for me. They are the 9 draftable guys.

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

To me this class has tiers....

Tier 1 - Franchise potential

Murray is the one guy who if he measures tall enough and convinces he is committed enough I think is probably a legitimate 1st round grade (though I still have work to do on him).

Haskins is a kind of borderline 1st/2nd round grade to me some good stuff on tape and some holes.

Tier 2 - Developmental potential future starters

Lock

Jones (lot work to do on his tape still)

Grier (also work to do on his tape but more in the re-watch territory)

Tier 3 - Draftable but backup ceiling

Rypien

Stidham

Finley

And then Tyree Jackson who is a total wildcard but is draftable on physical talent in the last couple of round. That is it for me. They are the 9 draftable guys.

Most drafts have QBs that fall into those 3 categories. 

unless you are in such a crappy year like the EJ , Geno, Glennon year where best case is hoping for a solid backup/ low end starter

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Most drafts have QBs that fall into those 3 categories. 

unless you are in such a crappy year like the EJ , Geno, Glennon year where best case is hoping for a solid backup/ low end starter

Yes to an extent. But I think the gaps between the tiers are pretty pronounced and distinct this year. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes to an extent. But I think the gaps between the tiers are pretty pronounced and distinct this year. 

I think every draft, atleast every other draft... has a QB that can be labeled “ franchise “ material ... some drafts have a few guys

every draft has a few guys “who can become the guy” but has a good amount of work to get there... and flaws to correct

and lord knows how many developmental, backup type prospects enter the league each year... 3rd QBs really are a revolving door

i think the tiers are pretty pronounced this year as well

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I think every draft, atleast every other draft... has a QB that can be labeled “ franchise “ material ... some drafts have a few guys

every draft has a few guys “who can become the guy” but has a good amount of work to get there... and flaws to correct

and lord knows how many developmental, backup type prospects enter the league each year... 3rd QBs really are a revolving door

i think the tiers are pretty pronounced this year as well

Yes you are right most do. Though actually I think back to that Jameis and Mariota draft - I didn't think there were any other potential starters in that draft. It was those two....... huge gap and a lot of backups. Last year there were guys in each category and the gaps between them were smaller. 

Some years there are more Jackson like wildcards. 

Also I only have 9 draftable QBs this year. Which is reasonably low. 

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes you are right most do. Though actually I think back to that Jameis and Mariota draft - I didn't think there were any other potential starters in that draft. It was those two....... huge gap and a lot of backups. Last year there were guys in each category and the gaps between them were smaller. 

Some years there are more Jackson like wildcards. 

Also I only have 9 draftable QBs this year. Which is reasonably low. 

Yes it certainly isn’t the best QB class...

going back to that Winston, Mariota draft they were hyped a bit too much imo... I didnt have a franchise grade on either 

they were right below in the could become franchise territory ... I didn’t think Winston was the sure fire QB the media made him out to be

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Yes it certainly isn’t the best QB class...

going back to that Winston, Mariota draft they were hyped a bit too much imo... I didnt have a franchise grade on either 

they were right below in the could become franchise territory ... I didn’t think Winston was the sure fire QB the media made him out to be

I confess I liked them both a lot. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

I liked Mariota more I will admit.

i dont think they are bad by any means... just probably hasn’t lived up to their draft status

I had Mariota a tick above Winston and I had them #2 and #3 on my big board that year. If anything both have regressed. I felt pretty good about the first two years for both of them and then they have gone backwards from there. Poor coaching is a part of it but not the only factor. 

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I had Mariota a tick above Winston and I had them #2 and #3 on my big board that year. If anything both have regressed. I felt pretty good about the first two years for both of them and then they have gone backwards from there. Poor coaching is a part of it but not the only factor. 

Definitely have regressed 

On 1/30/2019 at 8:34 AM, Bill from NYC said:

I did but he seems to have too many other issues surrounding him.

Did you see the way he acted on Hard Knocks? I couldn't stand to be around that guy for 15 minutes.

I actually bumped into him on the street in Tampa last weekend and he seemed very nice!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.