Buffalo's reputation amongst free agents

clayboy54

15 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Buffalo has always been a place to trash.

I have friends who play in the league who assure my away away locker rooms are mostly pretty gross and cramped.  And they were gross when I played in college 

the NFL still has guidelines they need to follow

Yep, many of them are lousy.

Ours just happens to be the worst.

56 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bengals are the only team in the league that has no indoor practice facility. And this is Ohio - not the nicest or most predictable weather. They charge players for Gatorade and make them re-use towels. It’s awful. Also, this is a great draft for TEs and i have zero interest in eifert

Whaaaaaaaaat?  Are you serious?

9 minutes ago, zow2 said:

There was a recent video piece on the Bills facilities, with particular attention on the cafeteria/dining/menu options and nutritional expert.  The guys they interviewed...some draft picks and free agents said they were blown away and the Bills have the best setup and food in the league.  

So if someone bases their opinions of team facilities on a visitors lockerroom that’s absurd.

It should be more incentive to play for the Bills.  You would never have to use the visitor facilities.

1 hour ago, clayboy54 said:

Just this morning, my wife was working out with Greg Eiffert (Tyler's dad). Of course, we always try to encourage opportunities to land quality free agents. Greg argued that the Bills facilities are the worst in the league. Why would Tyler want to go there, he asked.

This is a good example of how poor the Bills reputation is among those players who have not spent time there. They just see the old stadium and assume everything else is outdated as well. We all know that is not at all the case. Going back to the Wilson regime, yes, it was the case. However, the Pegulas have spent a ton of money outfitting the facilities with state of the art technology. The is evidenced by the building of the new health and sports medicine facility that we learned about this past summer. I haven't been inside the facilities (except the fan-accessible portion) in many years, as I no longer reside in WNY. But, I do keep my eye on what's going on inside from my old friends that still work there.

Sure the stadium is old and spartan. It supports the economy of the region. But the players' facilities are first-class. Here, we worry about attracting free agents with comments like "who will come to Buffalo if we cut so-and-so", etc. Realistically, it is far more important to express to the rest of the country that we are committed to providing the best training and rehab facilities rather than whether or not they should like cold weather.

I found this very interesting. I'd enjoy hearing your comments.

Your wife was “working out” with Greg Eiffert? I don’t know about you, but I would keep on top of that situation. ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I haven’t been to The Ralph or now New Era Field since 2013 but part of the appeal of it to me was it’s an old school stadium.  However, I get you gotta keep up with the times

In the end I would think reputation of playing in a certain place has more to do with locker room emenities 

12 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well I’m sure they can be upgraded soon...

besides the home locker room is great

Yes and yes

The only salient point here is that you can quite easily see why an opposing player would believe--erroneously--that Buffalo's facilities are shoddy in general.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

It's shameful. If you took a formal poll of players and coaches around the league, it'd be unanimous that it's the worst 

Bologna!! Many players make Buffalo their home after playing. 

You think players are stying in Green Bay or Indianapolis? Heck no! 

This is a load of hooey if I’ve ever heard it. 

At the end of the day money talks, and the Pegulas take care of their players. 

The Eiferts are a garbage factory. They make defective oft-injured  humans. 

Edited by Bobby Hooks

1 hour ago, thebandit27 said:

It's shameful. If you took a formal poll of players and coaches around the league, it'd be unanimous that it's the worst 

Am I crazy to say I love this? Hell yes, make it miserable for the visitors. If a player doesn’t come here because he remembers an unpleasant trip as an opponent than I don’t want him!

• Like (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, Bobby Hooks said:

Bologna!! Many players make Buffalo their home after playing. 

You think players are stying in Green Bay or Indianapolis? Heck no! 

This is a load of hooey if I’ve ever heard it. 

At the end of the day money talks, and the Pegulas take care of their players. 

The Eiferts are a garbage factory. They make defective oft-injured  humans. 

And all of that has exactly what to do with how bad the visiting locker room is, and the effect it has on FAs' perception of the team's facilities?

1 minute ago, eball said:

Am I crazy to say I love this? Hell yes, make it miserable for the visitors. If a player doesn’t come here because he remembers an unpleasant trip as an opponent than I don’t want him!

Nah, not crazy, but surely you see why the perception is out there 

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

And all of that has exactly what to do with how bad the visiting locker room is, and the effect it has on FAs' perception of the team's facilities?

Nah, not crazy, but surely you see why the perception is out there 

I guess that’s what an agent’s job is? 

41 minutes ago, wppete said:

Bills Mafia should have a say in this. Why don’t we flood all the Free Agents we would like to come to Buffalo on Social Media with everything that’s great about Buffalo. Including all the New state of the art facilities? Why the Bills have the best fan base in football and a college town atmosphere surrounding the football team.... cmon Bills Mafia let’s see what we can do...

Hey!  Let’s put on a show!

I wouldn't disregard the impact of a bad visitor locker room, I think there are a number of other factors that probably come into play.  The treatment of the players (contracts, coaching, etc.) is important.  Having a good relationships with agents is huge.  Agents are more likely to point their clients in our direction, if they have a positive opinion of the overall organization and the community. 

With the home game atmosphere, players like to have a full stadium with crazy fan support. Buffalo has a great atmosphere.  Some of the posts knock the stadium.  I've been to a number of other stadiums that don't measure up to what is already in place in Buffalo.  If anyone doubts that, go to a game in Tampa, Jacksonville, or New Orleans (the Super Dome isn"t exactly super).

Edited by Florida Bills Fanatic
misspelling
  • Like (+1) 1

When the general idea is to make the most of your home field advantage, having crappy visitors changing rooms, is part of the package, along with fan noise etc. i.e. it's not our business to make visiting teams all nice and comfortable.

Any player, or asociate of that player, who can't se beyond that stance, when it comes to FA, is likely to be something of an idiot, and is probably best left in the visitors changing room. ;)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I would imagine Buffalo's reputation around the league is one of the worst in the league, for a wide variety of reasons.  At least in the minds of people who are not familiar with the city/area/organization in 2019.

Athletes who might sign in Buffalo are likely to call friends they have around the league who have spent time in Buffalo as part of some due diligence.

Hopefully they will get a more accurate assessment at that point.

If the hot water consistently works in the vistor's locker room, the Bills are doing it wrong. They're the visiting team. ***** them.

If some player doesn't want to come play in Buffalo because of the visitor's locker room, who cares? Most anyone with a modicum of intelligence (or business sense) would actually want to see the accommodations provided to the Bills own players before making any decisions.

Edited by Koko78
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1