Buffalo's reputation amongst free agents

clayboy54

Just this morning, my wife was working out with Greg Eiffert (Tyler's dad). Of course, we always try to encourage opportunities to land quality free agents. Greg argued that the Bills facilities are the worst in the league. Why would Tyler want to go there, he asked.

This is a good example of how poor the Bills reputation is among those players who have not spent time there. They just see the old stadium and assume everything else is outdated as well. We all know that is not at all the case. Going back to the Wilson regime, yes, it was the case. However, the Pegulas have spent a ton of money outfitting the facilities with state of the art technology. The is evidenced by the building of the new health and sports medicine facility that we learned about this past summer. I haven't been inside the facilities (except the fan-accessible portion) in many years, as I no longer reside in WNY. But, I do keep my eye on what's going on inside from my old friends that still work there.

Sure the stadium is old and spartan. It supports the economy of the region. But the players' facilities are first-class. Here, we worry about attracting free agents with comments like "who will come to Buffalo if we cut so-and-so", etc. Realistically, it is far more important to express to the rest of the country that we are committed to providing the best training and rehab facilities rather than whether or not they should like cold weather.

I found this very interesting. I'd enjoy hearing your comments.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Buffalo's reputation needs to be that it has the best offer financially and a reasonable likelihood of setting you up to play well moving forward. Gregg Eifert sounds like someone that helped his son consider college choices and is out of the loop since a professional agent came on board. That extra hot tub or newer squat rack isn't making the difference. 

Edited by dayman
  • Like (+1) 1

I think mcdermott improves the desirability of the team.  I think he treats the players very fairly and with respect.  

Pegulas are good owners too.  Wont try to nickel and dime players unless its directly cap related, and also had the players' back vs Trump when poop hit the fan

There is still a stigma of losing, and players' inability to put up big numbers for future paydays.  Also the whole culture of buffalo vs the top cities in the usa hurts, but can be overcome if the motor gets primed and the team becomes a place where players can flourish

Edited by May Day 10
  • Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Just this morning, my wife was working out with Greg Eiffert (Tyler's dad). Of course, we always try to encourage opportunities to land quality free agents. Greg argued that the Bills facilities are the worst in the league. Why would Tyler want to go there, he asked.

This is a good example of how poor the Bills reputation is among those players who have not spent time there. They just see the old stadium and assume everything else is outdated as well. We all know that is not at all the case. Going back to the Wilson regime, yes, it was the case. However, the Pegulas have spent a ton of money outfitting the facilities with state of the art technology. The is evidenced by the building of the new health and sports medicine facility that we learned about this past summer. I haven't been inside the facilities (except the fan-accessible portion) in many years, as I no longer reside in WNY. But, I do keep my eye on what's going on inside from my old friends that still work there.

Sure the stadium is old and spartan. It supports the economy of the region. But the players' facilities are first-class. Here, we worry about attracting free agents with comments like "who will come to Buffalo if we cut so-and-so", etc. Realistically, it is far more important to express to the rest of the country that we are committed to providing the best training and rehab facilities rather than whether or not they should like cold weather.

Yeah, he should just stay at that palace in Cincinnati.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The big issue at play is the visitor locker room--it's heinous. Worst in the league.

The de facto facilities are actually quite nice. Once this summer's athletic facility remodeling is complete, it'll be among the most extensive in the NFL. The Pegulas have done a nice job of making things attractive to FA visitors, but the ***** hole stigma left by the visiting locker room remains a hurdle to overcome in attracting outside talent 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

The big issue at play is the visitor locker room--it's heinous. Worst in the league.

The de facto facilities are actually quite nice. Once this summer's athletic facility remodeling is complete, it'll be among the most extensive in the NFL. The Pegulas have done a nice job of making things attractive to FA visitors, but the ***** hole stigma left by the visiting locker room remains a hurdle to overcome in attracting outside talent 

If the visiting locker room truly is terrible, that’s not smart on the part of the Bills and explains the attitude of other coaches and players.

27 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Eifert has started 4 games in the last 3 seasons, played in 14 games of the last 48. 

One can understand why he and his family would be concerned that he land in a place where the workout and rehab facilities are state-of-the-art.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

If the visiting locker room truly is terrible, that’s not smart on the part of the Bills and explains the attitude of other coaches and players.

It's shameful. If you took a formal poll of players and coaches around the league, it'd be unanimous that it's the worst 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

That's not smart, if true.  Hopefully someone clues the Pegulas that's uncompetitive for FA.

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

It's shameful. If you took a formal poll of players and coaches around the league, it'd be unanimous that it's the worst 

What makes it shameful?

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's not smart, if true.  Hopefully someone clues the Pegulas that's uncompetitive for FA.

What makes it shameful?

It's small, dilapidated, ugly, worn, dingy, etc

Back in 2006, a players' survey rated it tied for 3rd worst with Arizona and behind SF and Oakland, and just ahead of SD and Minnesota. All of the others have either built entirely new stadia or made major upgrades.

'cept us

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

Eifert needs to worry about being employed by anyone if he can’t stay healthy

I love this guy when he's healthy, but that's about 3 games a year, so.....

As to the OP's question, I think this stuff just takes time to work itself out.  If the facilities have been improved recently, than that knowledge is being spread among players and will soon be known widespread.  It doesn't really surprise me that the Dad of a Bengals player isn't clued into the facilities in Buffalo.

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

Not really. If it’s an important factor, It’s on the player if they don’t know or do their due diligence to know that it’s only the visitor’s locker room that sucks. Which they wouldn’t be using if they were playing for the Bills. I’ve heard players from other teams say on radio that the visiting locker room sucks in  buffalo but they know the rest is great. 

33 minutes ago, ChanticleerBillsFan said:

Eifert needs to worry about being employed by anyone if he can’t stay healthy

29 minutes ago, MiltonWaddams said:

I think Tyler is looking for a facility that provides the very best in walker and golf cart technology. 

21 minutes ago, Jay_Fixit said:

And during this conversation, Tyler was injured again.

14 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Eifert has started 4 games in the last 3 seasons, played in 14 games of the last 48. 

One can understand why he and his family would be concerned that he land in a place where the workout and rehab facilities are state-of-the-art.

He must be referring to the injury tent. 

1 minute ago, KD in CA said:

I love this guy when he's healthy, but that's about 3 games a year, so.....

As to the OP's question, I think this stuff just takes time to work itself out.  If the facilities have been improved recently, than that knowledge is being spread among players and will soon be known widespread.  It doesn't really surprise me that the Dad of a Bengals player isn't clued into the facilities in Buffalo.

The Bengals are the only team in the league that has no indoor practice facility. And this is Ohio - not the nicest or most predictable weather. They charge players for Gatorade and make them re-use towels. It’s awful. Also, this is a great draft for TEs and i have zero interest in eifert

• Like (+1) 3

Again, guys, I'm pretty sure the term sheet and relevant teammates (e.g. QB if you are a WR, etc.) is about the only factor unless those factors are close, in which case we lose regardless of facilities. This is a silly discussion.