The 50 highest all-time recruiting prospects going back to 2000

YoloinOhio

On 1/5/2019 at 2:05 PM, /dev/null said:

Amazing how many top high school recruits went on to have inconsequential careers in the NFL

Recruiting services rate recruits for how they believe they will perform in college.

A high major 4* or 5* QB recruit May Be pegged as a college star... but his height or playIng style (runner) or lack of work ethic May not be pro suitable

Most NFL draftees every year are 3* or 4* guys. Yes 5* guys get drafted yearly... but they may not turn into superstars like you believe 

being so talented your whole life can sometimes hurt your work ethic... and everybody needs one in the pros...

Dareus could’ve been a HoF.. he has more talent in his little finger than most players.. JJ Watt was a 2* recruit who busted his ass and became the best in the world

• Like (+1) 3

On 1/5/2019 at 8:56 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I was looking at this list and realized that 8 of the 50 have played for the Bills... that seems like a high percentage

https://247sports.com/Sport/Football/AllTimeRecruitRankings/

Young, Pryor, Kouandjio, Barkley, Harvin, Henderson, Woods...Who did I miss? Only 3 were drafted by the Bills. Like Buffalo716 says above, 5* recruit doesn't always translate to the pros. If one is used to dominating without effort at the HS level, it becomes difficult to flick the switch and put in the effort needed to excel at higher levels. Not always just effort either, once heard Donald Jones (when he co-hosted with Murph) talk about the QB with the worst pocket presence he was ever a part of. Not sure if he ever revealed who he was talking about as I turned off the radio, but I'm sure it was Young. Just didn't have the infamous "it"

5 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Young, Pryor, Kouandjio, Barkley, Harvin, Henderson, Woods...Who did I miss? Only 3 were drafted by the Bills. Like Buffalo716 says above, 5* recruit doesn't always translate to the pros. If one is used to dominating without effort at the HS level, it becomes difficult to flick the switch and put in the effort needed to excel at higher levels. Not always just effort either, once heard Donald Jones (when he co-hosted with Murph) talk about the QB with the worst pocket presence he was ever a part of. Not sure if he ever revealed who he was talking about as I turned off the radio, but I'm sure it was Young. Just didn't have the infamous "it"

Bryce Brown 

19 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Recruiting services rate recruits for how they believe they will perform in college.

A high major 4* or 5* QB recruit May Be pegged as a college star... but his height or playIng style (runner) or lack of work ethic May not be pro suitable

Most NFL draftees every year are 3* or 4* guys. Yes 5* guys get drafted yearly... but they may not turn into superstars like you believe 

being so talented your whole life can sometimes hurt your work ethic... and everybody needs one in the pros...

Dareus could’ve been a HoF.. he has more talent in his little finger than most players.. JJ Watt was a 2* recruit who busted his ass and became the best in the world

It's the same in all sports.

When you are the best kid on the field/ice at all levels starting at an early age, you can get by on raw talent and lazy shortcuts.

A lot of guys go that route.  Then they finally rise to a level where everyone around them has the same skill level and their game suffers dramatically.

Other top performers at a young age have a really strong work ethic that they take with them throughout their entire careers.  Those are the guys who end up being pro superstars and HOF members, b/c they have the super talent and the work ethic to excel at any level.

At least that is my observation.

On a somewhat related note: I always find it interesting how many guys on a big time college football field, or NFL field, were not just "stars" at the high school level, but were THE QB OF THE TEAM at the high school level!  Despite like now being a LB or DE or safety, or HB or God knows what.

I.E., they have so much talent, the only place it makes sense to play them at the high school level is at QB.  Even if they are nowhere close to being good enough to play QB at the big time college or NFL level.

My point is that an NFL football field (or big time college field) is just littered with super talented athletes. 

If only some of them said "screw the head shots, I'm playing soccer" when they were 8 years old.  America would never lose the World Cup.  Yes, I'm a big soccer fan.

The high school rating system generally rewards the biggest, strongest and fastest players. You're essentially just rewarding the most physically developed 17 and 18 year olds.

Reality is that most 17 and 18 year old kids are nothing physically like what they'll become after 3-4 years in a college weight program. This is when 2 and 3 star guys develop into NFL prospects, because they get much bigger and stronger than they were as high school players, while the 5 star guys are already maxed out. 

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

It's the same in all sports.

When you are the best kid on the field/ice at all levels starting at an early age, you can get by on raw talent and lazy shortcuts.

A lot of guys go that route.  Then they finally rise to a level where everyone around them has the same skill level and their game suffers dramatically.

Other top performers at a young age have a really strong work ethic that they take with them throughout their entire careers.  Those are the guys who end up being pro superstars and HOF members, b/c they have the super talent and the work ethic to excel at any level.

At least that is my observation.

On a somewhat related note: I always find it interesting how many guys on a big time college football field, or NFL field, were not just "stars" at the high school level, but were THE QB OF THE TEAM at the high school level!  Despite like now being a LB or DE or safety, or HB or God knows what.

I.E., they have so much talent, the only place it makes sense to play them at the high school level is at QB.  Even if they are nowhere close to being good enough to play QB at the big time college or NFL level.

My point is that an NFL football field (or big time college field) is just littered with super talented athletes. 

If only some of them said "screw the head shots, I'm playing soccer" when they were 8 years old.  America would never lose the World Cup.  Yes, I'm a big soccer fan.

Hahah too bad they love American football 

and you are right. Every kid in D1 and the NFL is super talented. It’s usually the drive within and work ethic that sets players apart at The highest level

and to answer you question about HS QBs... a HS coach has 1 job , to win games ... HS football has changed drastically over 50 years

50 years ago, you took your best athlete and put him at Fullback or Halfback.. now coaches take their best athlete and put him at QB... that is where the HS game went 

most are glorified RBs playing QB, but their are some who make it big and develop a good arm like Watson 

• 1 month later...
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2019 at 12:48 PM, jrober38 said:

The high school rating system generally rewards the biggest, strongest and fastest players. You're essentially just rewarding the most physically developed 17 and 18 year olds.

Reality is that most 17 and 18 year old kids are nothing physically like what they'll become after 3-4 years in a college weight program. This is when 2 and 3 star guys develop into NFL prospects, because they get much bigger and stronger than they were as high school players, while the 5 star guys are already maxed out. 

Josh Jacobs barely got any scholarship offers so you would seem to have a point.

• 3 weeks later...
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.