Article:. How Derek Anderson helped Daboll develop Josh Allen.

PIZ

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Many times the best coaches were the ones that were marginal players.  To gain the success they had as a player they had to study the game a lot more.

True words.  People always like to look at a great player like Kelly and say "wouldn't it be great if he would coach" but I think a lot of the time a true great does things naturally and by instinct, and can't really break down or explain what they're doing - certainly true physically, may be true for reading the field and progressions as well.

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

Many times the best coaches were the ones that were marginal players.  To gain the success they had as a player they had to study the game a lot more.

Outside of Dick Lebeau and Charlie Joiner, I'm stuggling to remember many successful Bills coaches who were HOF caliber players.  Frazier was pretty good too before injuries 

1 hour ago, jlgarsh said:

Outside of Dick Lebeau and Charlie Joiner, I'm stuggling to remember many successful Bills coaches who were HOF caliber players.  Frazier was pretty good too before injuries 

I'd have to look back.  But in many sports you can look at guys who either never played in the bigs or had less than star careers.  Think of baseball with guys like Weaver, LaRussa, LaSorda.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

How often do you hear Carson referred to as "Jordan's brother?" That being said, Carson Palmer seems relatively no nonsense and I take his words to be sincere.

Umm, I think that's what I said.

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought he was a lot harsh on Baker.  I think Baker is a smart driven talented athlete and he has a shot to be Drew Brees great.

If he fails, it will be because of his hot head and the backfiring of his motivational technique (gathering up everything negative said about him).

You can bet Mayfield has a tape loop of that interview somewhere he can listen as motivation.

As I said, this kid's got a lot of upside. Accurate, aggressive, smart and motivated. Great arm talent as well. 

Pretty obvious to me.  When listening to people talking about Allen, the first question needs to be how many Bills games has he watched?  The vast majority of media heads that watch as many games as they can come away glowing of Allen.  Allen is the best Qb Buffalo has had in 20 years.  How they attack this off season will determine the next 5 years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 1/4/2019 at 11:06 PM, Green Lightning said:

The jump from first and second-year could be a lot or a little, we'll know soon enough but I think the kid still has upside.

Statistically, I didn't realize how impressive his rookie year was.  Conservatively speaking, even if it's a small jump Baker's gonna be a ~30TD ~4,000yd guy in his second year.  If that's his floor, I'd be quite happy if I'm a Browns fan.  I think he's easily got 40 TD 4,500YD potential given the way the league is trending.  

Edited by stony

On 1/5/2019 at 11:07 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I thought he was a lot harsh on Baker.  I think Baker is a smart driven talented athlete and he has a shot to be Drew Brees great.

If he fails, it will be because of his hot head and the backfiring of his motivational technique (gathering up everything negative said about him).

You can bet Mayfield has a tape loop of that interview somewhere he can listen as motivation.

I was just going to chime in and say something similar.

Baker has IT.

Allen has IT.

That drive and desire to just beat the ***** out of the opponent.

That doesn’t come along all that often at the QB position.

On 1/5/2019 at 8:04 AM, machine gun kelly said:

I remember asking Sal on the point after why we didn’t just place him on IR, and he made a good point the coaching staff from top to bottom DA’s achievement of preparing Allen on top of the staff, and would bring up excellent points in prepping for the next appointment.

i can see why extended him for next year, maybe he takes a year off with family and goes into being a QB coach.  Barkley seems like a good second string player, and neither are expensive.

this is all reasonable and perhaps smart on the part of the Bills.
I would like to think so : )
Nice OP !

19 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Just because Anderson was a average player that doesn't mean he cannot be a good teacher.

tis fact.
Team building takes a coordination of putting different types together and making a great soup.
I felt Anderson was going to become a fine mentor wherever he went.

and i do not think the "plan" was to have him see the field honestly.

As Beane mentioned , he owned much of the errors made with his risk taking at QB.

Allen has proven he is the future

Now all the Horses will be pulling in the same direction.

that is  a good thing. 

Edited by 3rdand12

3 hours ago, stony said:

Statistically, I didn't realize how impressive his rookie year was.  Conservatively speaking, even if it's a small jump Baker's gonna be a ~30TD ~4,000yd guy in his second year.  If that's his floor, I'd be quite happy if I'm a Browns fan.  I think he's easily got 40 TD 4,500YD potential given the way the league is trending.  

All valid.  Cleveland's got some horses on at team right now so anything's possible.

On 1/5/2019 at 10:32 AM, Doc said:

Why?  You think Barkley, Anderson or a rookie would be a better option?

No. I meant competition for the #2 & 3 spots. No doubt for me Josh is #1. If no one ousts Barkley or Anderson, I'm fine with it too. But competition is good! (Well unless it takes away all these reps with the #1 team away from Allen like last offseason...)

• Like (+1) 1