Article:. How Derek Anderson helped Daboll develop Josh Allen.

PIZ

12 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Wow, strong statement. That said,  that is Jordan Palmer's brother. But I think he's being sincere.

Jordan trained both Sam and Josh leading up to the draft. So for Carson to put Allen ahead of Darnold is good to hear from a former QB.

• Like (+1) 6

15 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

To to be sure, I thought he was a little harsh on Baker Mayfield though.

Harsh but possibly true. He was a polished 5 year starter coming into the NFL last year. He is still a really good QB in this league even if he doesn’t improve much from here on out.

3 minutes ago, billspro said:

Harsh but possibly true. He was a polished 5 year starter coming into the NFL last year. He is still a really good QB in this league even if he doesn’t improve much from here on out.

The jump from first and second-year could be a lot or a little, we'll know soon enough but I think the kid still has upside.

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

The jump from first and second-year could be a lot or a little, we'll know soon enough but I think the kid still has upside.

He may not get a lot better, but geesh, he is pretty darn good right now.

• Like (+1) 2

I remember asking Sal on the point after why we didn’t just place him on IR, and he made a good point the coaching staff from top to bottom DA’s achievement of preparing Allen on top of the staff, and would bring up excellent points in prepping for the next appointment.

i can see why extended him for next year, maybe he takes a year off with family and goes into being a QB coach.  Barkley seems like a good second string player, and neither are expensive.

12 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

It's amazing to think that we are entering the off-season with a completely stable QB room for the first time since Kelly/Reich.

Well in a way I hope there is competition still next year but yes it's a good thing.

Remember all the talk on here of how McD , Daboll & the Bills brass couldn't develop a young QB? IDK how good or not they are at this, but I cringed at the knee-jerk statements because of the Bills past when this staff is new. So far they seem to be doing a good job, for sure.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

Well in a way I hope there is competition still next year but yes it's a good thing.

Remember all the talk on here of how McD , Daboll & the Bills brass couldn't develop a young QB? IDK how good or not they are at this, but I cringed at the knee-jerk statements because of the Bills past when this staff is new. So far they seem to be doing a good job, for sure.

Why?  You think Barkley, Anderson or a rookie would be a better option?

The funny part is, while he played Anderson was a guy with loads of physical talent but the head of a cave man. Somehow now he is this intellectual, thinking mans - QB coach in a helmet? It really is confusing.

It simply is the fact that almost every veteran QB “gets it” after time. If you look at almost any qb that has been in the nfl for over 9 or 10 years...they will probably be very capable of running a professional offense at an acceptable level. That’s why I always want that Kyle Orton guy on the team. They won’t wow you with flash but they know where the ball has to go AND when it has to be there. A QBs job is probably 80% before the snap. The young guys usually just don’t have enough information library to make intelligent presnap decisions. That’s why the Eagles play better with Foles.

There is no way to measure what I am saying, but it’s true. This offense was completely different when both DA or Barkley played. The ball was out quick and I bet if you asked Dabol, it went to the guy it should go to. Allen is crazy talented and fun to watch and overall made a lot of great plays. But the way the offense looked with him was night and day. Sometimes in a good way. Anderson knows what will work, he’s just not physically capable of delivering it personally. Hopefully he can stuff that into a more capable vessel in Josh Allen. There is a funny balance that goes on (for a qb) where physical ability diminishes as mental capability increases. The longer those two things are lined up on an acceptable level, the bigger our “window” will last. 

Edited by Brianmoorman4jesus
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

12 hours ago, LikeIGiveADarn said:

It's amazing to think that we are entering the off-season with a completely stable QB room for the first time since Kelly/Reich.

Yeas, it’s a nice feeling going into the offseason.  Additionally, with the money to spend and available draft picks a number of other needs should be addressed.  If the Bills draft well again, play the FA market wisely and find a gem or two in the UDFA pool we could have a very young and very good roster.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

To to be sure, I thought he was a little harsh on Baker Mayfield though.

I thought he was a lot harsh on Baker.  I think Baker is a smart driven talented athlete and he has a shot to be Drew Brees great.

If he fails, it will be because of his hot head and the backfiring of his motivational technique (gathering up everything negative said about him).

You can bet Mayfield has a tape loop of that interview somewhere he can listen as motivation.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Green Lightning said:

Wow, strong statement. That said,  that is Jordan Palmer's brother. But I think he's being sincere.

How often do you hear Carson referred to as "Jordan's brother?" That being said, Carson Palmer seems relatively no nonsense and I take his words to be sincere.

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, cle23 said:

I'm amazed because Derek Anderson never helped develop himself.

Derek Anderson had a very Alex-Smith like trajectory his first 5 years in the league.  He wasn't a very good QB.  He did have an OK season his second year.

If he'd been able to build on that, he woulda been OK but like a lot of young guys, he probably let it go to his head plus he struggled with injuries in preseason then got IR'd.  Alex Smith was drafted in the 1st so he had to prove to the 49ers he couldn't play football; Anderson was drafted in the 6th round so he had to prove he could play football, and his leash was short.

When he wound up in Carolina and had to take a seat behind Wonderboy Cam Newton, Anderson likely figured out that if he was going to stay in the league, it would be with his head, not his hands so he got busy.

I'm with Beane, my only concern about Anderson is why it took the Bills so long to figure out that a veteran presence who had actually played was needed in the QB room.  Beane acknowledges this now as a mistake.  The other concern I have is about Daboll.  If he needs Anderson to be saying (as Beane quotes) "  ‘You know what, that sounds great, that’s drawn up well, but the problem is when you do this.’ .... “Derek’s not only helped Josh, but he’s helped our coaches in the game-planning, as well.” ....let's just say that doesn't give me a great warm fuzzy about our OC - except, I do give Daboll credit for being man enough to accept that kind of feedback.