Stephon Gilmore - first team AP All-Pro

39 minutes ago, BillsMafia13 said:

What do you mean not true.  I get he's got the personality of a rock but look at his face draft night. He looked like he just got the death penalty on the biggest night of his life.  Its obvious he didnt want to be here, great cb but it was painfully obvious

Did you see his face when he signed with NE? Same face.

That's Gilmore. He's just a melancholic dude.

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, BillsMafia13 said:

What do you mean not true.  I get he's got the personality of a rock but look at his face draft night. He looked like he just got the death penalty on the biggest night of his life.  Its obvious he didnt want to be here, great cb but it was painfully obvious

Have you ever seen him look any other way? This is typical Bills fan syndrome "wah he didn't smile he must have hated it here"

Don’t get the love affair and banner waving for an unpopular, departed ex Bill who now wears a Pats* uniform to boot. Can’t keep every player and the Bills are fine in the secondary. Smart and shrewd financial move. Any affection for a former Bills player should end immediately if they join the evil empire. 

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Don’t get the love affair and banner waving for an unpopular, departed ex Bill who now wears a Pats* uniform to boot. Can’t keep every player and the Bills are fine in the secondary. Smart and shrewd financial move. Any affection for a former Bills player should end immediately if they join the evil empire. 

I'll wave the banner all day for Gilmore because people insisted he was bad for 5 years and they were very wrong.

3 minutes ago, JM57 said:

I'll wave the banner all day for Gilmore because people insisted he was bad for 5 years and they were very wrong.

Whatever floats your boat. I don’t remember many fans thinking SG was bad. Just not very likeable  and a bit overrated. Replaceable for less cap $$ for sure. Now that he’s on the darling team of the majority of sports media, he’s a bit overrated. He’s a Pat* , so who cares ?

14 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

No love affair at all; may he be roasted roundly and routinely I say.

I just call 'em like I see 'em, and I always felt he was underrated by Bills fans. It's not surprising that he's getting the recognition now that he's playing for a league-darling.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, aristocrat said:

i hate we lost him for nothing. but he is on a defense that is 22nd against the pass

? - They were 7th in passing defense as measured by team passer rating (the differential of which is the most predictive stat of success in sports). Opponents had an 85.4 rating. http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/passing/sort/quarterbackRating/position/defense/seasontype/2

Raw yardage is indicative of nothing other than the fact that their opponents were playing from behind most of the time. 

21 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Whatever floats your boat. I don’t remember many fans thinking SG was bad. Just not very likeable  and a bit overrated. Replaceable for less cap $$ for sure. Now that he’s on the darling team of the majority of sports media, he’s a bit overrated. He’s a Pat* , so who cares ?

You must not have been around here much during his tenure. There were from very loud voices from some very established posters that refused to acknowledge the idea he was anything but bad and overrated. I will forever rub that in people's noses.

5 minutes ago, JM57 said:

You must not have been around here much during his tenure. There were from very loud voices from some very established posters that refused to acknowledge the idea he was anything but bad and overrated. I will forever rub that in people's noses.

I’ve been on the board almost since its inception, some of it under a different handle. Plenty during SGs time as a Bill. Yeah, a lot of complainers and “ hot takes” on the board so I’m sure there was a fair share of that with regards to Stephon. I’ve always thought he was a good player, but not great or complete and never liked his outward demeanor . I was against signing him to a huge deal when the time came, but was fine with them picking up his fifth year option. I don’t know what the current regimes take is on the CB position, but previous ones pretty clearly felt it was a draft and replace position that wasn’t allocated top $$ on a second contract. 

Edited by Boatdrinks
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I’ve been on the board almost since its inception, some of it under a different handle. Plenty during SGs time as a Bill. Yeah, a lot of complainers and “ hot takes” on the board so I’m sure there was a fair share of that with regards to Stephon. I’ve always thought he was a good player, but not great or complete and never liked his outward demeanor . I was against signing him to a huge deal when the time came, but was fine with them picking up his fifth year option. I don’t know what the current regimes take is on the CB position, but previous ones pretty clearly felt it was a draft and replace position that wasn’t allocated top $$ on a second contract. 

Arguing against letting Gilmore go only works in the context of a we-could-have-drafted-Mahomes/Watson argument, but if the regime wasn't sold on either of those guys (and they clearly weren't; otherwise they would have taken a QB given that they weren't invested in Taylor), then they wouldn't have drafted them anyway and the point is moot. The Bills pass D has been very good without him even though he's a very good player himself.

Edited by dave mcbride

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/6/2019 at 4:53 PM, 3rdand12 said:

Mmmm ? not sure in this case.

McD had a defense that functioned at a very high level. and was proven.
in this case, i agree that he need to find the players to fit his methods. Proven it works already has he not ?

and without Gilmore or Darby
Not everyone is Wade Phillips  : )

that was when we called him Happy Gilmore.
he looked bummed.
and playing for Rex and the Rob might have dimmed his light.
like i said before, very talented player, perhaps under developed ? in Buffalo.

3rd and 12, I like the dry humor in the "Happy" in Happy Gilmore. I think Gilmore played better in Jim Schwartz's, a real D coordinator, than Archy & Jughead's (the Ryan Bro's)

system. Even though I believe an NFL player should always try his best at all times, his last year or so, you could see he wasn't giving it his all.

4 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

3rd and 12, I like the dry humor in the "Happy" in Happy Gilmore. I think Gilmore played better in Jim Schwartz's, a real D coordinator, than Archy & Jughead's (the Ryan Bro's)

system. Even though I believe an NFL player should always try his best at all times, his last year or so, you could see he wasn't giving it his all.

It certainly appeared he was waiting to "fight, another day" for number of games.

he also had the vibe . (hey ! i did my job ! )

glad has found a place to play his style.

i prefer a dancing T White. who plays hard ball.
we have a fine nickel and safety packages back there.

Jim ran a fine defense for sure.