Josh throws the ball out of the stadium. Do you think it happens ever?

ILBillsfan

55 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Anyone that thinks he can do it is nuts.

Never, and I mean NEVER, could any human throw a football out of either endzone sides of the stadium.

i've heard it said that Josh could throw the ball 80 yards down the field.  for arguments sake, lets say he could throw it only 70 yards down the field. that is 210 feet. if the field is 50 feet below ground and the top of the sands is 60 feet above ground level that is 110 feet in toto. we must assume that throwing the ball almost straight up he would lose quite a bit of that 210 feet. would he lose 101 feet, i dunno. seems like a reasonable question and one that doesn't seem entirely unlikely.

i would say he could do it. i'm sure there is a formula to figure it.

Edited by Foxx

5 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i've heard it said that Josh could throw the ball 80 yards down the field.  for arguments sake, lets say he could throw it only 70 yards down the field. that is 210 feet. if the field is 50 feet below ground and the top of the sands is 60 feet above ground level that is 110 feet in toto. we must assume that throwing the ball almost straight up he would lose quite a bit of that 210 feet. would he lose 101 feet, i dunno. seems like a reasonable question and one that doesn't seem entirely unlikely.

i would say he could do it.

Nope. No way.

Jim Kelly heaved a ball one time behind the Bills bench and it went MAYBE two thirds of the way up the lower bowl.

I don’t think anyone really understand just how impossible that tnrow really is to make.

Edited by Binghamton Beast
  • Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

Nope. No way.

Jim Kelly heaved a ball one time behind the Bills bench and it went MAYBE two thirds of the way up the lower bowl.

I don’t think anyone really understand just how impossible that tnrow really is to make.

you may be right after a bit of thinking and a brief search on the subject. i think the formula below is the correct one. i believe we would need to know the velocity of his throw.

Physics: Throwing a Football. Is it truly parabolic?

... UPDATE: Mathematical answer to your question.

We can use equations of projectile motion as follows.

enter image description here

Equation for the trajectory of a projectile motion:

y=xtanθg2u2cos2θx2y=xtan⁡θ−g2u2cos2⁡θx2

(yes it is an equation of parabola but I have mentioned earlier that the mathematical formula and calculations dealing with trajectories of object are approximated to parabola)

Now from your question we can have to situations:

CASE-1: When the object is thrown inclined at an angle θ1θ1 with a velocity uu

Then the maximum height the object will reach is given by:

h=u2sin2θ12gh=u2sin2⁡θ12g

Now if θ1=30θ1=30∘ and initial velocity u=100 m/su=100 m/s (just for consideration)

Then the maximum Height the object will reach is equal to:

h=127.55h=127.55 meters

Now using the same angle and velocity, if we calculate the maximum distance traveled(called the range of projectile) we have

Rmax=u2sin2θ1gRmax=u2sin⁡2θ1g

Now by plugging in the values, we have R=883.69R=883.69 meters

CASE-2: When the object is thrown at a higher angle than before but with same velocity.

Now say the angle θ2=60θ2=60∘ (Higher angle than before) and u=100 m/su=100 m/s

Then by using the same equation used before we have

h=382.65h=382.65 meters and R=441.83R=441.83 meters

RESULT:

We can clearly see that the maximum height in case-1 is less than that of case-2 and the maximum range in case-1 is higher than that of case-2

Which means the path in case-1 is less high and more far. But the path in case-2 is higher and less far. See the below image for more clarification.

enter image description here

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Foxx said:

you may be right after a bit of thinking and a brief search on the subject. i think the formula below is the correct one. i believe we would need to know the velocity of his throw.

Well at the combine he hit 62mph so crunch your numbers with that.

1 hour ago, ddaryl said:

sure throw it out of the stadium then bonks some unexpected person walking around perimeter. MAJOR LAWSUIT

It will never and should never happen.....  if it does its only asking for a possible regrettable situation

Let's try harder to suck the fun out of this post...ok??

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

So after watching the Kyle Williams mic'd up he made the comment after Josh ran the 30 yard touchdown that he thought he was gonna try to throw the ball out of the stadium.

So from the layout of the stadium I think the west end would probably be more ideal unless of course the wind was crazy. I think this would be awesome to see him do and it has obviously been talked about by his teammates.

I could see it definitely happen and will look forward to it when it does. I think the fans would go nuts and some lucky person outside will get a ball that could be a real collection item :)

I think not as the team would not want the hassle of some fan being hit with a ball they do not know is coming.

1 minute ago, BuffaloBill said:

I think not as the team would not want the hassle of some fan being hit with a ball they do not know is coming.

I don’t know....I have seen some fans who deserved it! Like, if he could have hit that guy dropping out of the upper deck....that would have been a great trick shot. Instant Legend material! Like hitting the little ducks at the county fair, and that dude deserved it! 

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Well at the combine he hit 62mph so crunch your numbers with that.

i am not smart enough to calculate the equation. however, until someone that can comes along... looking around.... 62mph equals 27.7165 meters/second and 110 feet equals 33.528 meters. according to Quora, a ball thrown upward with an initial velocity of 30 m/s can achieve a height of 45.918 meters. this would seem to say that it is quite possible. hopefully someone here will do the correct calculation.

Edited by Foxx

3 hours ago, ILBillsfan said:

Start the go fund me page now to entice Josh to try haha :P

I don't think Josh needs to be enticed.  He's been recorded asking Daboll if Daboll thought he could throw the ball over (some sign on the upper deck): "when I run for a TD, I'm gonna throw it over there".

Daboll was unimpressed: "How about we focus on getting through this practice?"

I guess I'm an old fogy officially, but I'd rather he save "letting 'er rip" for the game.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Foxx said:

i am not smart enough to calculate the equation. however, until someone that can comes along... looking around.... 62mph equals 27.7165 meters/second and 110 feet equals 33.528 meters. according to Quora, a ball thrown upward with an initial velocity of 30 m/s can achieve a height of 45.918 meters. this would seem to say that it is quite possible. hopefully someone here will do the correct calculation.

I actually just found this and it looks possible if you ask me.

65399511.jpg

http://www.convertalot.com/ballistic_trajectory_calculator.html

m/s = 27.7 = 62mph

degrees = 60

Results:

Range: 67m   ~74yards

height: 29.3m   ~96ft

This obviously doesn't account for wind speed and other outside factors.  I also used y0 as 0 which would assume the ball is being throw from the field and not from Allen's hand which you could probably call 1.75m which would be around 5 1/2 feet off the ground.

So at the apex of flight it would be around 38 yards traveled. 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eSJayDee said:

Actually, did you know that much of The Natural was filmed at the old War Memorial.  Apparently, at the time, it was one of the few stadiums still around that retained that era's appearance.

That, and it wasn't being used by anyone at the time as opposed to the older major league stadiums. 
One scene where everyone is in white shirts in the stands many of the 'fans' are cardboard cutouts.  I knew some people who went as extras and they said they were among the cutouts.

The Rockpile was a great backdrop for the film.