Greg Rosenthal QB Index

15 minutes ago, CommonCents said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001007337/article/qb-index-patrick-mahomes-leads-yearend-rankings

Allen at 32nd.

Scattershot accuracy

How could Jackson be higher than Allen as he runs and doesn’t pass well? I hope Josh stays motivated and crushes it next year. 

Not that anything the writer said about Allen is totally false...BUT if you look at Rosen's blurb below Allen its clear the writer of that article is biased against Allen.  If think a lot of these subjective rankings will always reflect the bias of the writer (i.e. all the folks who hated Allen coming out will always have him ranked low based on this or that).  Its not to say that Allen is NOT the 32nd ranked QB based on some metrics...but rather it seems that some in the media/twitterverse really just want to prove they were "right" about this guy or that guy.

At the end of the day, I honestly would take Allen over all current QBs except maybe 6 or 7 for the future (Mahomes, Luck, Watson, Mayfield, etc.).   If I needed a QB for one post-season run, that would be a different story (Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, Brees, etc.) but for long-term future, I feel good about Allen as the "32nd ranked QB" with supposed "scatter-shot accuracy" (from that term alone I assume the writer of the article never even watched an entire Allen game this season!).

Edit:  I just googled "Gregg Rosenthal Josh Allen"...the dude hates Allen lol.  Not surprised by his unbiased rankings.

Edited by Johnnycage46
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1000% there are teams higher on this guys list that would do a straight QB trade for Allen. 

If I were creating a ranking list of Sports Analysts I rank Greg Rosenthal somewhere on the tail end of the list between Sully and the drunk bozo in the Patriots bar.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, RalphWilson'sNewWar said:

He sums it and my thoughts on Allen up pretty well.

i think the really good QBs are able to:

- make the mundane plays regularly

- the key plays at end of games

- Have ability to make WOW plays

Allen has 1/3 so far.  Let’s see where it goes in 2019.

I totally disagree, not sure what you're seeing, bud.

Makes mundane plays of oh I dunno 20 yards down field more regular than any of the other rookies, and on a rope!  Wow plays, check!  Key plays at the end of the game.. Well, notwithstanding Clays drop, we really didn't have a chance to see any of that this year, but I bet dollars to donuts we see it all next year!  I have Mayfield as the best more productive rookie this year, well deserved, he earned it, and I have Darnold and Allen with about the same weapons and equal in terms of showing.  I think next year we see separation from the top three and I suspect it will be Allen taking the lead!

Tim-

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The Bills need to study what the Bears did for Trubisky in his 2nd season.   I think they are similar style QBs.  But Trubisky does have some very good players around him and a big play defense to support the O.

• Like (+1) 1

First this guy clearly dislikes Allen as a QB.  I'm still amazed that Allen can bring out so much venom from these folks.  They seem to take the possibility that he might be good personal. My guess is that someone like Allen, not being recruited out of HS and not getting a shot after Jr College and making a mockery of their analytics, threatens their rice bowl.  These guys make a living trying to convince us they know what they're talking about and if Allen succeeds it's the equivalent to them of a turd in their punch bowl.

Second, guys like this use way to much SUBJECTIVE information so why don't we try this little mental exercise:  if Buffalo offered to trade Allen even up for another teams current starting QB how many teams would not take the offer?  I'm confident in saying it would be a lot less then 31.  I'm guessing it might be as low as 10.  Maybe lower.  IMO that would be a better gauge of where Allen's performance this year has placed him among NFL QB's.

As an aside, one reason Jackson has decent passing numbers is the impact of the Ravens outstanding run game.  For Baltimore the play action actually means something.  Opposing defenses MUST respect the run on a play action pass.  This opens up all sorts of opportunities down the field. 

Edited by CincyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Rosenthal is an excellent analyst who perhaps overprioritizes accuracy (which, to be fair, is an incredibly important trait). Re: his ranking of Allen, it's fair because he's not simply ranking him based on the last few games. The early season debacles get factored in equally as well. He's not saying he won't improve. 

• Like (+1) 6

7 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The Bills need to study what the Bears did for Trubisky in his 2nd season.   I think they are similar style QBs.  But Trubisky does have some very good players around him and a big play defense to support the O.

we have the D … 2019 preseason will be all about giving JA help on O.  Lot of holes to fill, but if can get some line help and at least one bona fide #1 receiver, maybe also a TE, I think there will be many haters eating crow this time next year.

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Rosenthal is an excellent analyst who perhaps overprioritizes accuracy (which, to be fair, is an incredibly important trait). Re: his ranking of Allen, it's fair because he's not simply ranking him based on the last few games. The early season debacles get factored in equally as well. He's not saying he won't improve. 

if you actually watched the games, ranking Rosen above Allen is insane.  

These analysts are making fools of themselves because they won’t admit they are wrong. I was not a fan of Allen predraft, but he played very well in the senior bowl and that made me question my e v a l. If they are not questioning their e v a l by now they will never get rid of their bias. Allen played better than Rosen and equal to  Darnold as a rookie. 

Jackson is a different case. I think he will be good as long as his athletic ability is around. He could be RG3 or Kap, or he could be Vick. That is hard to predict.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

we have the D … 2019 preseason will be all about giving JA help on O.  Lot of holes to fill, but if can get some line help and at least one bona fide #1 receiver, maybe also a TE, I think there will be many haters eating crow this time next year.

if you actually watched the games, ranking Rosen above Allen is insane.  

He didn't rank Rosen above Allen!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

First this guy clearly dislikes Allen as a QB.  I'm still amazed that Allen can bring out so much venom from these folks.  They seem to take the possibility that he might be good personal. My guess is that someone like Allen, not being recruited out of HS and not getting a shot after Jr College and making a mockery of their analytics, threatens their rice bowl.  These guys make a living trying to convince us they know what they're talking about and if Allen succeeds it's the equivalent to them of a turd in their punch bowl.

Second, guys like this use way to much SUBJECTIVE information so why don't we try this little mental exercise:  if Buffalo offered to trade Allen even up for another teams current starting QB how many teams would not take the offer?  I'm confident in saying it would be a lot less then 31.  I'm guessing it might be as low as 10.  Maybe lower.  IMO that would be a better gauge of where Allen's performance this year has placed him among NFL QB's.

As an aside, one reason Jackson has decent passing numbers is the impact of the Ravens outstanding run game.  For Baltimore the play action actually means something.  Opposing defenses MUST respect the run on a play action pass.  This opens up all sorts of opportunities down the field. 

Good point Allen played well despite have an anemic rushing game outside of himself. He had to carry the offence every week and he handled that well for a rookie.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, D521646 said:

I totally disagree, not sure what you're seeing, bud.

Makes mundane plays of oh I dunno 20 yards down field more regular than any of the other rookies, and on a rope!  Wow plays, check!  Key plays at the end of the game.. Well, notwithstanding Clays drop, we really didn't have a chance to see any of that this year, but I bet dollars to donuts we see it all next year!  I have Mayfield as the best more productive rookie this year, well deserved, he earned it, and I have Darnold and Allen with about the same weapons and equal in terms of showing.  I think next year we see separation from the top three and I suspect it will be Allen taking the lead!

Tim-

Players that make the mundane regularly...don’t end up with almost sub 50 completion percentages.

Key plays at end outside of Miami...he did have the opportunity against the Jets at home.  That ended in an INT.

but he’s a rookie with a chance to improve!  Bring on 2019.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, zow2 said:

I think Allen is a much better prospect than Trubisky. 

Edited by billspro
  • Like (+1) 2

Why must every metric/analysis of Allen that isn't gushing be met with such disdain? People are not out to get Allen. He didn't p*** in anyone's Cheerios. The sheer passing numbers don't paint a pretty picture. There is context as the supporting cast isn't great and Allen got markedly better as the year progressed. I suppose they could have added a disclaimer that the Bills offense was the Little Giants. That would have made everyone feel better.

This particular writer places Allen ahead of Rosen. We took the right Josh. Isn't that a good thing?

Edited by LSHMEAB