Josh Allen interview: indicates QB Coach David Culley is integral part of his development

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, Buffalo716 said:

But everybody called me dumb when I said he was great for Allen’s development and a great coach... everybody said we needed a real QB coach... guess what he is...

and he is very good with film and mechanics... he is a fundamentals and mechanics Harper and a great coach

but what do I know

Hey, I gave you cred up thread. Don't worry.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I don’t think any of us know the true affect good or bad, that Culley had. 

Josh’s improvements were clearly in second half of season after his return from injury. 

Josh’s improvements directly corresponded to the additions of Anderson and Barkley midway through season and Bills rewarded both with extensions more for that than play (even with Barkley’s great game). 

Josh’s improvements directly corresponded with lowering and later releasing Benjamin and Holmes combined with ascending Foster and McKenzie and later Zay. 

I dont see Culley much in there. But again we don’t know. Josh talks highly about virtually everyone except himself. 

Or maybe they corresponded with him getting injured and having more time to work in the classroom.

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

But everybody called me dumb when I said he was great for Allen’s development and a great coach... everybody said we needed a real QB coach... guess what he is...

and he is very good with film and mechanics... he is a fundamentals and mechanics Harper and a great coach

but what do I know

I didnt

I think Allen hurting his elbow may have saved his season.  I think it was a huge benefit for him to have several weeks in the middle of the season to go back and spend time watching his game film and work on the mental aspect of his game.  I think it made a huge difference.  He couldn't work on his throwing when his elbow was healing, all he could work on was the cerebral part of being an NFL quarterback. 

He didn't have to worry about installing new plays for that week's game and breaking down the opposing defense.  He could just focus on what he needed to do to become a better QB, not what he had to do to win that particular game.  That chance to take a deep breath and refocus your efforts can be huge.  Without that time off there's a good chance he'd have finished the season the same way he started it.  We all saw when he came back from the injury that his pocket presence was significantly improved and his play reflected that.  I'm not sure that late season improvement happens without the elbow injury.

Who would have guessed that Jadeveon Clowney could end up being the Bill's 2018 MVP?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I think Allen hurting his elbow may have saved his season.  I think it was a huge benefit for him to have several weeks in the middle of the season to go back and spend time watching his game film and work on the mental aspect of his game.  I think it made a huge difference.  He couldn't work on his throwing when his elbow was healing, all he could work on was the cerebral part of being an NFL quarterback. 

I agree with ya, best thing was they didn't have to bench him which can create additional issues.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

He didn't have to worry about installing new plays for that week's game and breaking down the opposing defense.  He could just focus on what he needed to do to become a better QB, not what he had to do to win that particular game.  That chance to take a deep breath and refocus your efforts can be huge.  Without that time off there's a good chance he'd have finished the season the same way he started it.  We all saw when he came back from the injury that his pocket presence was significantly improved and his play reflected that.  I'm not sure that late season improvement happens without the elbow injury.

Who would have guessed that Jadeveon Clowney could end up being the Bill's 2018 MVP?

We should give him giant contract in a couple months as a thank you ? 

• Like (+1) 2

22 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I agree.

But I wonder why NFL teams don't have both kinds of QB coaches on staff...  One who's good at breaking down film, installing the game plan, and so on.  And another who works with the QB on his mechanics.   In the Bills case, why don't we have both Culley and Jordan Palmer at OBD?

Due to CBA the coaches are limited in time they can spend with players, even voluntarily, so Jordan Palmer would not be able to spend as much time with Josh as he did last season.  He also has other clients so may make more than a QB assistant coach in his business as well as not having to deal with moving, being fired, etc.  

Also hear Jordan Palmer has bad memories of Buffalo since he was on team for total of 5 days. :D

21 hours ago, formerlyofCtown said:

But I heard on TSW that he hasnt coached Allen at all.

You do not have the right people on ignore.

There are a finite amount of people who understand and can coach football throwing mechanics for NFL QBs.  Due to CBA rules NFL teams dont have the time to do it.  The Patriots, model franchise in every aspect of coaching, and organization structure do not do it.  It's on Allen to improve his mechanics.  Keeping with Palmer would make alot of sense.

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Due to CBA the coaches are limited in time they can spend with players, even voluntarily, so Jordan Palmer would not be able to spend as much time with Josh as he did last season.  He also has other clients so may make more than a QB assistant coach in his business as well as not having to deal with moving, being fired, etc.  

Also hear Jordan Palmer has bad memories of Buffalo since he was on team for total of 5 days. :D

Lol Im in a better mood lately so Im taking some off.

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

i thought that was just the coaches employed by the team

On 1/4/2019 at 11:38 AM, Buffalo716 said:

but what do I know

I didn't say dumb - I just was saying "Culley - who?", and was more than skeptical hoping Daboll could fill the QB coaching needs.

Nicely done, and finding folks that have a different take or better information about the Bills players and staff is one of the reasons I like to come here.

More than happy to eat my words and it is obvious you had a better bead on his ability to contribute than I did.

Crow never tasted so good - keep it up.

1bW7ubv.gif

8 minutes ago, WideNine said:

I didn't say dumb - I just was saying "Culley - who?", and was more than skeptical hoping Daboll could fill the QB coaching needs.

Nicely done, and finding folks that have a different take or better information about the Bills players and staff is one of the reasons I like to come here.

More than happy to eat my words and it is obvious you had a better bead on his ability to contribute than I did.

Crow never tasted so good - keep it up.

1bW7ubv.gif

Well thank you and I am one who will always admit when I am wrong as well. It’s not something I will gloat over and hold over everybody 

I’ve been a player , coach and scout my whole life. I understand the game and coaches , and at this point I have a bead on guys that I think are good for young players and bad for them

Culley was a guy circled for the positive 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/4/2019 at 9:14 AM, YoloinOhio said:

The first part is really what the team QB coach is for. I think the personal QB coaches work more on the latter (in this case Jordan Palmer). There isn’t a lot of practice time available to work on individual mechanics, tbh. Maybe in OTAs and TC but I think they are working more on team- specific scheme and package install even then. 

From stuff Allen and McDermott said earlier in the season, Allen goes out before practice every day and does technique drills with one of the assistants

On 1/4/2019 at 10:49 AM, hondo in seattle said:

I agree.

But I wonder why NFL teams don't have both kinds of QB coaches on staff...  One who's good at breaking down film, installing the game plan, and so on.  And another who works with the QB on his mechanics.   In the Bills case, why don't we have both Culley and Jordan Palmer at OBD?

In the case of Jordan Palmer, he’s made it pretty clear he likes his “private QB tutor” thing and does not want to coach for a team. It’s also advantageous for him to not be employed by the team so there are not restrictions on him working with Allen off-season

5 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Well thank you and I am one who will always admit when I am wrong as well. It’s not something I will gloat over and hold over everybody 

I’ve been a player , coach and scout my whole life. I understand the game and coaches , and at this point I have a bead on guys that I think are good for young players and bad for them

Culley was a guy circled for the positive 

So @Buffalo716, what do you know about the guy they said drills with Allen before every practice?  Shea Tierney I believe was the name.

On 1/4/2019 at 9:19 AM, YoloinOhio said:

I’m listening to josh Allen’s Interview on WGR this morning and he brought up David Culley’s name unsolicited, saying how much he trusts him, that he listens to everything he says, and how important he has been to his development. I thought this was interesting because a lot of us have wondered if they may consider moving him to WR coach where most of his career has been spent, now that Robiskie is gone. Based on Josh’s comments, I’d be shocked if they made any changes to the QB coaching situation. 

Link to interview https://app.radio.com/SuggbyiadT

Means nothing. JA says everyone is great.  He used to say how great Nate Peterman is.  

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

So @Buffalo716, what do you know about the guy they said drills with Allen before every practice?  Shea Tierney I believe was the name.

I know he’s been with the Eagles and Alabama... he’s familiar with Saban and Sarkisian I believe, maybe Kiffin

he was an analyst. Supposedly good with film breakdown and tendencies and such

i don’t think he’s a Mechanics guru. He is known as a good analyst and film guy So maybe working on situations they know will pop up on gameday

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

I know he’s been with the Eagles and Alabama... he’s familiar with Saban and Sarkisian I believe, maybe Kiffin

he was an analyst. Supposedly good with film breakdown and tendencies and such

i don’t think he’s a Mechanics guru. He is known as a good analyst and film guy So maybe working on situations they know will pop up on gameday

Allen said it was drills, footwork and mechanics on short passes and throwing spirals and such.  It may be Allen knows what he’s supposed to do and they have someone filming it.

Or maybe Tierney or someone else watching has a punch list of watchouts