Ja’Waan Taylor OT Florida

49 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

The more I evaluate the draft the more I think pick 9 will be a D-line player, which while not a drastic need would be a need (I think the pass rush needs a shot in the arm and the D-line needs more younger players, besides Shaq and Phillips all the other D-line players are older players.) I wouldn't mind at all a RT as I think this philsophy that if you draft a RT at 9 its such a reach if they can't be swung back over to the left side is foolish. RT is a premium position in the modern NFL. A lot of the top pass rushers in the NFL rush against the right side. You need 5 top O-line players and they are all becoming harder to find. So while being able to shift over to the left side is a positive trait it isn't a make or break in my opinion. 

I agree that it's  going to be a defensive lineman. 

Have you looked at right tackles on rosters around the NFL? It's not pretty. And of all 32 teams there are 2 right tackles who where top ten picks, Johnson and Conklin. And Johnson is really a left tackle playing right. Neither are all pros this year. And there a whole mess of linemen who where reached on and suck. Luke Joeckel, Jonathan Cooper, Warmack etc etc etc. it's just bad drafting. Quentin Nelson elite player. Lane Johnson elite athlete in a crap draft. You simply can't draft these guys if they aren't elite. There's no draft value and you will be passing on elite talents at more important positions. 

Left tackles are simply more important becuase they protect the blindside. It's a simple concept, but that's really it. 

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Both of those are guys I think can play LT though. Lane likely will next year. Conklin in fairness might need to leave Tennessee to do it. 

This is the exact reason why I think we like him over the others. I’m suggesting that he CAN play LT if we need him to, which is why I think McBean will be interested. His versitility. 

30 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I agree that it's  going to be a defensive lineman. 

Have you looked at right tackles on rosters around the NFL? It's not pretty. And of all 32 teams there are 2 right tackles who where top ten picks, Johnson and Conklin. And Johnson is really a left tackle playing right. Neither are all pros this year. And there a whole mess of linemen who where reached on and suck. Luke Joeckel, Jonathan Cooper, Warmack etc etc etc. it's just bad drafting. Quentin Nelson elite player. Lane Johnson elite athlete in a crap draft. You simply can't draft these guys if they aren't elite. There's no draft value and you will be passing on elite talents at more important positions. 

Left tackles are simply more important becuase they protect the blindside. It's a simple concept, but that's really it. 

I think an RT is a premium position not that much less valuable than LT in the modern NFL. So if you have an elite RT prospect who might not be great on the left side I think its not a bad pick to secure the RT spot. But I think that the value at RT is not there at pick 9 and unless there is a trade down its probably a D-line player at pick 9. 

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

The more I evaluate the draft the more I think pick 9 will be a D-line player, which while not a drastic need would be a need (I think the pass rush needs a shot in the arm and the D-line needs more younger players, besides Shaq and Phillips all the other D-line players are older players.) I wouldn't mind at all a RT as I think this philsophy that if you draft a RT at 9 its such a reach if they can't be swung back over to the left side is foolish. RT is a premium position in the modern NFL. A lot of the top pass rushers in the NFL rush against the right side. You need 5 top O-line players and they are all becoming harder to find. So while being able to shift over to the left side is a positive trait it isn't a make or break in my opinion. 

I would rate pass rush right up there with OL needs imo, our biggest sack contributor was Jerry Hughes with 7, I wouldn't be opposed to an OT on either side though if that's the route the Bills wanted to go. Interior DL could be beefed up also, I'm not sold on Harrison Phillips, he looked good early on but fell flat again imo as the season wore onI'd be good with one of the stud DT like Oliver, Brown or Williams, I'd even be stoked to land CB Greedy Williams, I think we'd have 2 shutdown corners.

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

I would rate pass rush right up there with OL needs imo, our biggest sack contributor was Jerry Hughes with 7, I wouldn't be opposed to an OT on either side though if that's the route the Bills wanted to go. Interior DL could be beefed up also, I'm not sold on Harrison Phillips, he looked good early on but fell flat again imo as the season wore onI'd be good with one of the stud DT like Oliver, Brown or Williams, I'd even be stoked to land CB Greedy Williams, I think we'd have 2 shutdown corners.

I would really not like Greedy Williams (I think the coaching staff is good at finding good CB's later in the draft as shown by T.Johnson and Levi Wallace, even EJ Gaines was a bit of a find as a throw in player in a trade.) But a young pass rusher with some impact would both fill a need and further lay a foundation for the defense. I think you can find a RT in round 2 and address WR via trade or free agency. 

7 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I would really not like Greedy Williams (I think the coaching staff is good at finding good CB's later in the draft as shown by T.Johnson and Levi Wallace, even EJ Gaines was a bit of a find as a throw in player in a trade.) But a young pass rusher with some impact would both fill a need and further lay a foundation for the defense. I think you can find a RT in round 2 and address WR via trade or free agency. 

I actually think finding a quality right tackle will be found in free agency and the receiver in the draft. The Bills will get more of an impact receiver in the draft than free agency much cheaper. And a linemen in free agency offers less of a bust rate 

1 minute ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I actually think finding a quality right tackle will be found in free agency and the receiver in the draft. The Bills will get more of an impact receiver in the draft than free agency much cheaper. And a linemen in free agency offers less of a bust rate 

The issue for the Bills primarily is that there isn't a great market at RT, TE, and WR in free agency. There are good interior O-line players, corners, and pass rushers which is where I think the primary focus of free agency dollars should go towards. Don't overpay just to get the best of a subpar market. Although I think WR might be worth overpaying for to get at least a solid vet since a 2nd round WR might not have a high end impact. 

1 hour ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I tend to agree.  Spend mostly on Oline in FA.  Elite deep threats rarely reach the open market.  Imo by 9 the elite defenders will be gone.  I understand it's a deep dline class but the 4th or 3rd DT or 4th or 3rd end will not be a tier above the top Wrs.  Who is the biggest impact player?  That's who the pick should be.  If its Cb, DT, DE, WR, OL if they are a significant upgrade is all that matters to me.  If Metcalf or Brown are 4.4 or under the move ahead of the line for me at 9.  A premier deep threat opposite Foster puts defenses in real trouble.  

1 hour ago, billsfan89 said:

The issue for the Bills primarily is that there isn't a great market at RT, TE, and WR in free agency. There are good interior O-line players, corners, and pass rushers which is where I think the primary focus of free agency dollars should go towards. Don't overpay just to get the best of a subpar market. Although I think WR might be worth overpaying for to get at least a solid vet since a 2nd round WR might not have a high end impact. 

Go points.  With the state of the roster even mid tier FA will provide significant upgrades.  Finding the right mid tier FA will be key.  

2 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I wouldn’t necessarily say that about RT. Trent Brown, Daryl Williams, Bobbie Massie, Juwan James and Donavan Smith are all huge upgrades. 

• Like (+1) 1

23 hours ago, billvernsays said:

Oh my bad. 

He’s someone who’s gotten better each year.  He’s different to a Greg Little who’s always seems to leave you wanting him to do a bit more. 

He’s got really nimble feel with is why I think he could be a LT in the NFL, but I think he could realistically play either Tackle or Guard position in the Pros which I think may make him very interesting to McBean. 

I’m sorry but with  a 9th overall pick he has to be a plug in and play LT , not maybe or he could and a G we can probably find one in the 2nd or maybe even 3rd round , 

Edited by Putin

5 hours ago, Buffalo30 said:

I never said they were near Nelson and I stated in an earlier post that they’d need to be elite like Nelson was to be picked in the top 10-20.

i wasn’t dating any of these guys stray that level. I was simply saying that RT is worth taking in the top ten when the talent is there. 

I fully expect Buffalo to draft defense based on the talent at the top of the class ATM: 

Yeah my bad, that comment wasn't meant for you, it just was a general comment for th  board. I am vehemently against drafting guards and right tackles in the top ten and people on the board keep using Nelson as a reason why you should, but they are ignoring the fact that Nelson is an amazing elite can't miss prospect. So apologies if it felt like I was being snarky towards you. 

1 hour ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Who’s the back up going to be cause that dude rarely plays? 

Williams started 16 games in 2017 which was his first full year as the starter, and he was second team all pro. He hurt his knee and missed the whole season this year. Then you draft guys in the fifth round and such to add guys to the room. You do not use your top ten pick on a right tackle. You still Conor McDermott under contract as well. 

• 1 month later...
32 minutes ago, Buffalo86 said:

I'd rather sign Ja'Wuan James, already knowing that he can play RT in the NFL.

same here.  Signing James would give us much more flexibility draft day.  I would like to trade down, and pick up a couple 2nd/3rd round picks.  Then draft oline, WR, TE, RB